1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What player do you MOST want to pay for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Who's your #1 option? (Read scenarios below)

1. CP3 - but only at 30M or less

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. CP3 - willing to go the max 35M

33 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Lowry - but only at 30M or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Lowry - willing to go the max 35M

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Milsap - but only 30M or less

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Milsap - willing to go the max 35M

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Blake maxed at 25M

26 vote(s)
    21.5%
  8. Paul George on the 1 year rental at 19.5M - no assurances...

28 vote(s)
    23.1%
  9. Carmelo trade at 26.5

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. Other - not interested in any of these guys for those prices...

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right. And forward is their weakest spot. And if they're looking to get PG13 here, Harden-PG13-Griffin makes the most sense in that its PG-Wing-Interior player

ilovehtownbb and kjayp like this.
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I love Blake. He fits the system, would pair stupidly easy with Harden, and gives us tremendous upside.

Chose CP3. Don't know how or even if it could work. But that much upside gives us the best chance.

Astrodome likes this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I agree 100%! i think the dream of 3 stars is a bad idea... given cap constraints, 3 stars would gut our roster - and I've already watched 3 stars play with Matt Maloney as a starter - lol. 2 great offensive weapons and solid 2 way players is the way to go imo.... After the stars, guys like PBev at 5.5M are the key and DM should be able to pull us some undervalued diamonds in the rough...

Additionally, that would be the only appeal of PG13 imo... but it would only be 1 year at a discount and then even if we convince him to stay we gotta pay him... which means there's no supporting cast... Personally, given his 'LA or bust' mentality I wouldn't give up assets for him on a 1 year rental...

#23 kjayp, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Anthony Davis is my dream but if he is not available then probably Blake Griffin.

kjayp likes this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there should be another poll on who we'll actually be able to get. options can be james johnson, patrick patterson, pj tucker, and of course... swaggy pee

kjayp likes this.
  6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Blake would fit great, mda system needs athletic 4's who can also shoot, he will be our Amare like player, PNR to death

kjayp likes this.
  7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Chris Paul is the best player on that list by far. If you can get him, you do it. F*** fit. F*** money.

Millsap is the best fit on that list, and I'd love to have him for 20 mil or so (sidekick money). But I think his asking price will be high enough that his value is insignificant compared to a maxed out CP3.

napalm06 likes this.
  8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Millsap because I rather get a proper forward with Harden, keep Bev and just not banking on CP health and you know we'll have to pay max dollars.

kjayp likes this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

No because we would have to trade for him after the season he leaves like he said he will and now we have? Plus what will the rest of the roster even look like with 90% of the cap tie to 3 players? I am all for rookies getting spot playing time to develop but not a starters or main rotation players on day one because that's all the cap space that is left. Moderation please just think things through because we are not the Heat, Cavs, or GSW. People are not lining up to come here on the cheap other than Nene.

kjayp likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well think about it this way. If you're adding max cap space tier 1 players its to win NOW. In my view, Harden-PG13-Griffin "fit" better than Harden-CP3-Anyone... because Harden/CP3 is just weird.

Does PG13 walk after one year and a 4-1 series loss to the Warriors?? Probably. Maybe. Not sure, but assume yes. Ok. You still have Harden-Griffin and you try and improve from there.

Relative to this thread, which asked about the FA's/potentials it asked about in this thread, that's the course of action I see.

90% of cap tied to 3 players? Well if you want 3 all star players, that's how its going to be for this rockets team. they haven't drafted anyone capable of becoming an all star.

Don't get me wrong... I get your post. I would have been in favor of moving Harden to Philly for the #1, plus some of their future picks ha.

kjayp likes this.
  11. kjayp

Nobody wants to think about that reality - lol! Let's dream for another week or so - lol

pippendagimp likes this.
  12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Blake is on the decline athletically.

DO

NOT

WANT

Bennie Anders and JD88 like this.
  13. Emtenndo

Emtenndo Member

Reasonable poll. Emtenndo approves. With the options available I'd take Blake if we could get rid of Anderson.

kjayp likes this.
  14. SemisolidSnake

I went with Griffin.

I mean, I'd love to have Chris Paul, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how he and Harden play together. Paul's the most pure point guard in the league; he needs the ball in his hands to start every play. Buuuuutttttt, James also needs the ball in his hands all the time. His assisting capability is based on his threat to score. Plus, unless we seriously sophisticate our offense, I feel like Paul's talents are wasted on just trying to find a guy open behind the three-point line. I just don't see how both of them work together.

Griffin, on the other hand, is an athletic big guy who can grab rebounds and can dunk any lob you send him. This gives a driving James another option besides attempt to score/draw foul or kick a long dangerous pass back to the average shooters behind the arc. We've been playing as such a small team, it'd be nice to have a big guy in there, I figure. Griffin's younger and a little cheaper and doesn't overlap with the star we know we're not getting rid of.

If we save some money getting Griffin, maybe we can grab another big just to give us some extra presence down there by the hoop. We got beat up by bigger teams in the playoffs. I'm no expert; it just feels more sane to not add a competing guard for a lot of money.

Corrosion and kjayp like this.
  15. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I almost selected Melo on accident. Is there any Cluthfan out there that thinks Melo would be anything other than a terrible addition?

kjayp likes this.
  16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

how is blake in that poll but not hayward? hayward's age makes him a top 2 fa. arguably the bes tfa

after him it would be cp3. close with lowry but cp would give harden much easier shots, and harden has shown he's not that good of a shooter.

17. kjayp

i threw it up there bc I figure its more realistic possibility than Hayward... plus i had exchanges with another poster who wanted to swap for Melo and add CP3...

The only possible benefits I see in Melo is his contract is a bit cheaper than most of the top names, it's only 2 years left and if it's the only option to dump Ryno's contract without giving up a bunch of stuff to do it...

Still not saying I would do it... lol... but if no other options and both sides wanna swap problems.... i could see Melo happening as a last ditch effort by DM to bring in a big name if he strikes out on everyone else of note...

plus with Melo having his no trade clause - t'll be on him if he wants to agree and buy into MDA this go around...

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Can we trade the quitter to free up room?

kjayp likes this.
  19. kjayp

Personally... i'm trying to move past that...lol!
    I've been ripping Harden rather vehemently since game 6... and I'm still not over it.... but I figure he aint goin nowhere - so this is the hand we have to play... so what are our best options going forward? lol!

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I felt like our size was one of our biggest weaknesses last year especially when Nene went down so I chose the tallest option.

I still think we beat the spurs had Nene not went down.

kjayp likes this.