1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What player do you MOST want to pay for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Who's your #1 option? (Read scenarios below)

1. CP3 - but only at 30M or less

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. CP3 - willing to go the max 35M

33 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Lowry - but only at 30M or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Lowry - willing to go the max 35M

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Milsap - but only 30M or less

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Milsap - willing to go the max 35M

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Blake maxed at 25M

26 vote(s)
    21.5%
  8. Paul George on the 1 year rental at 19.5M - no assurances...

28 vote(s)
    23.1%
  9. Carmelo trade at 26.5

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. Other - not interested in any of these guys for those prices...

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

You're the GM! Realizing free agency isn't some buffet where you get to just pick what you want and they're all yippy skippy to sign... who would you most want to get - given the price tags and ramifications attached?

Keep in mind - you gotta make the space... who are you gonna move? Here's the contracts you would have to clear (assume you can without taking back payroll)
    the nonguaranteed contracts (Troy, BBrown, Wiltger, Taylor) gets you to 9.7M...and Nene is unsigned...
    Ryno 19.5M Dekker 1.8M
    EG 13M Trez 1.5M
    Lou 7M CC 2.4M
    Ariza 7.4M Onu 1.3M
    Bev 5.5M

CP3 starting max is 35M... Given that he's 32, the final year of a 4 year deal would put us on the hook for paying a 35 yr old CP3 around 40M.... if you give him the max you're gonna have to clear a few rotation guys...

Then for the sake of argument, let's assume he is devoted to trying to win a chip and would take a contract starting at 30M - with that final year coming around 35M....

Same options and paycheck with Lowry... with him being 31...

Same options and paycheck with Milsap... another 32 year old...

Blake is 28 and I figure he's getting maxed starting at around 28-30M.... with final year coming at 31 yrs old at around 35M

Paul George is the 1 year rental at 19.5M and will cost you at least EG, a future 1st and Bev.... to bring him in, get 1 year and then hopefully pay him to stay... realizing the gamble involved...

Carmelo trade on a 2 year deal at 26M next year...

You're the GM - who's your #1 desire?

PS: if you opt for the cheaper contract on CP3, Milsap or Lowry - you're saying you would NOT pay the 35M pricetag... you're only interested at the 30M starting...

#1 kjayp, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Chuck Nevitt likes this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Hakeem Olajuwon

Mazulis, mikol13 and Killatron 2000 like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read in some other thread the correct answer is Capela

:cool:

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'll pay the MOST I can to get Rhhyno Anderson and his garbage contract outta here.

Rox11 likes this.
  5. kjayp

I'm going Blake... he's a big gamble from a maturity standpoint - but I also think he's got about the best upside... for the cost of Ryno's contract and nonguarantees - I'm all over it! Plus given his age... I don't see a 4 year contract being a future albatross...

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Are we sure Blake max is starting at 25? Shouldn't be around 28?

kjayp likes this.
  7. kjayp

Well lucky you... for the sake of this thread, you get to assume you can jettison him for nothing and use the 19.5M toward your next acquisition! But he's not gonna fly as a trade chip for PG13 - Indy's gonna want real assets back...

#7 kjayp, Jun 26, 2017
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think its about his maturity as much as his injury history.

But I'm also voting him, because I don't think any of the above move the needle enough to matter, and a Harden/Blake combo surrounded by 3 point shooters is absolutely bar none the most fun.

My second choice would be PG... because I actually think he makes the most sense, outside the rental part. But if he's a rental, and the team kind of is stuck where they are with him, and he bolts to LA, it might force their hand to do something more dramatic, which is what they'll need at that point.

Hakeemtheking and kjayp like this.
  9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I'd like to get rid of harden and give Rubio 2 supermax contracts.

10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Trade him for allen crabbe

11. malakas

malakas Member

If we are not taking into account the assets needed to clear capspace or trade then ofc Paul George.
    Give it a go and maybe he will stay.
    After that I would rather have Paul Millsap in a 3 year contract.

Pen15clubber and Vivi like this.
  12. kjayp

You're right - i think its actually closer to 30M... I goobered it - lol... I've been figuring him at 5M less than the 32 yr olds and then when I gave the 30M options on the 32 yr olds I knocked 5M off that for Blake... unfortunately wont let me adjust in the poll - but adjusted in the text... thanks for the catch!

Vivi likes this.
  13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Answer should be Hayward, though it seems he doesn't want to play here. Is that why he's not in the poll?

Matt78777 likes this.
  14. kjayp

I dont see him as being remotely realistic... utah is maxing him... he's the main guy... why come play second banana to James?

#14 kjayp, Jun 26, 2017
  15. malakas

malakas Member

Hayward? If you include FAs who don't want to play here then it's Hayward you choose? Not Durant or Curry?

Killatron 2000 and Pen15clubber like this.
  16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Well Hayward is rumored to be leaving Utah, but likely to Miami or Boston. Curry and Durant are going to re-up 100%.

Ryris likes this.
  17. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

To play with Harden and CP3 and form a new big 3 that has a better chance of contending than Utah...not saying I agree but I think that's the logic.

kjayp likes this.
  18. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I just hope, in the case Houston somehow manages to secure two stars, its not CP3 and Blake Griffin. That'd feel very weird, given the playoff history.

19. fattz

fattz Member

Harden & Griffin fit well together; plus Griffin is better than he has shown in the past couple of seasons. When Paul was out Griffin's all around game picked up in his absence. He has the ability to run as a point forward. He cost less than the others and is around the same age as Harden and will sign longer. Keeping Bev would do the team wonders. There is only one ball let Harden and Griffin have it and find solid 2 way role players to fill in the gaps. ie RoLo or Lee types not big names but good players.

Open up the rotation and play most of our players or trade the one we don't play for ones we will. We need solid play and growth in every position not 3 all worlds and nothing else. We fell apart in playoffs after Nene went down not before.

Let Peak and Oliver development happen at the end of the bench the old school way 5 minutes a night till they demand more on the court. Ariza PT needs to be cut way down if he is still here.

ilovehtownbb and kjayp like this.
  20. Coach E

Coach E Member

Chris Paul makes us the 2nd best team in the NBA.

BigggReddd likes this.