1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What might be some of the top choices for universities twenty years from now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Jun 12, 2017.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

With the advancement in AI and robotics, many of the top fields in universities could be obsolete or much less popular. Fields such as pharmacy, accounting, journalism comes to mind first. What possible new fields might be created, and what and what currently more obscure fields might become much more popular? Computer Science and Engineering are my bet to stay popular in the foreseeable future.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why can't a sentient program do computer science and engineering better than a human? And not just better but way way way better.

These fields will be obsolete too and sooner than you'd think.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm interested in the economic impact of human internet trolls becoming obsolete by internet trolling bots. What will these humans do once they've been relegated to irrelevancy on the internet? Get a second job (or a first job)? Join a gym? Read a book? It's fascinating to me because they're are innumerable ways in which they could improve themselves, but it's hard to imagine how they could become shittier than they already are (unless they become violent criminals or something).

So I think this is one way AI/robotics/automation can improve our economy overall for everyday folk.

cml750 likes this.
  4. pirc1

I do not doubt that, I am thinking it will take longer to obsolete these fields, sort of like using American workers to training Mexican workers to replace American workers today.

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Berkeley or Evergreen would top my list.

6. pirc1

Surely MIT would be the top choice.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Perhaps less popular, but I don't see how any of those 3 disciplines becomes obsolete.

8. pirc1

If Robots and AI can dispense medication much faster and more accurately than pharmacists, and all the pharmacies are using automated systems, how many people would want to be a pharmacist?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Trump is going to bring back coal so in 20 years we won't need college anymore.

peleincubus and Rashmon like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

MMOs in the last 20 years have been about people grinding repetitive tasks in order to have their digital avatar look better than the real world.

With AIs getting better at farming tasks, it will be digital assistants that perform every waking decision and nudge people to do things with events.

Instead of me typing this up, I'll have even better choices for a better response.
    A) Cool B) Informative C) Snarky D) Trolly E) Lowbrow Youtube

One future is for civilization to regress into some hippy Waldenesque co-existence where robots do all the heavy lifting and people live a simpler rural life, but I think most of us are opting into an arms race against AI and the status of our neighbors. Seems kind of pointless if the end state turns into one of those sims.

11. pirc1

All I hope is AI do not turn into terminators or Matrix in the end.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There would be less demand for retail pharmacists, but pharmacy is still needed in other parts of the value chain, like for drug development, drug manufacture, QA, etc.

13. pirc1

Yes, but that is not where majority of the pharmacy graduates ends up, so the people who would want to go into the field will be significantly reduced.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Great teachers > expert system tutoring
    ... but soon ....
    Expert system tutoring > > meh teachers

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. pirc1

Look at this way, cost of education would be reduced drastically, I am just hoping I can ride out the wave, I think there is a good chance I can do that, not sure about the next generation.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see Pharmacies eliminating pharmacists. In practical terms, Pharmacists might become guys who manage the computer systems doing all the work, but people like to have a human boss they can blame when crap goes wrong. Pharmacies might not hire any more than a single pharmacist, but I bet they keep someone around to blame all the problems on. They'll also ending up doing all the work contacting doctor's offices, dealing with upset customers, etc. People like to get service from people.

It's the low skill "pharmacy techs" that will be totally eliminated.

One of the places where a machine can't replace people, in fact, is in high end service. McDonalds might get robo-waiters, but 4 star Michelin restaurants will always have some shlub waiting on you so you can feel superior.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

People will be cool as long as the AI is smart enough to put a figurehead in place.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I don't see this happening in my lifetime.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Well one thing we all should know: the trend of online classes is absolutely wretched. I've taught them and taken them, and online courses are absolute **** compared to face to face.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pharmacy still has a human interactive aspect

Part of their actual job is explaining how medicine should be taken as well as side effects