1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is your Realistic Target for a taxpayer MLE free agent this offseason.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, May 28, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Temple is a good player … a good fit and a reasonable get for the MLE.

That roster can win 55+ games …

But we've gotten accustomed to Morey chasing every star available , we are starved for a "big move" …. and the front owner and front office is telling us they will do whatever takes... bla bla bla.

This is ClutchFans after all …. have you seen that random trade thread ? …. A good number of them want a guy who played in only 22 games last year and hasn't played more than 60 in three years.... so he can sit next to CP3 and cheer Harden and the 4 YMCA scrubs on.
    The rest of them think Butler is "to be had" …. even if he opts out. which is all but impossible. Cp3 for NO incoming salary gets you half way there ….

Being reasonable just doesn't work here. The wannabe insiders change the course of conversation and expectations. Its Butler or Bust.

Ramo$e, pippendagimp and jsilencio like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And that's a huge problem with a team with as many open roster spots and holes in that roster as the Rockets.

What do you do about Rivers ? He was a big part of last years success ….

Vivi likes this.
  3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I mean if we are being realistic we sign Rivers/House using the MLE and hope Faried will take a minimum deal. We are not trading CP. I don't even think Clint will be dealt. I honestly thing they run it back and hope they can do something at the deadline.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not even sure that's realistic ….

Rivers might more than the taxpayer MLE and House … if he gets $1 more than the minimum , he's a goner.

5. MC31B

MC31B Member

What about Jake Layman or Daniel Theis? Having one of those guys split the MLE with House might work.

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

But you are talking about being in the same situation with Harden and Cp3 they arent moving teams but would be taking less money for no reason. A "better situation" would be KD's case where he did take a pay cut to play with 4 all stars.

So what if you dont make millions the pay you make is all relative do you know there are sewage cleaners in India who make 5 dollars a day? They spend the whole day in **** for a couple of bucks a day cleaning manholes so compared to them your pay is millions of rupees per month. As superstars making millions they still have the same money concerns you do its just the scale is bigger in the same way you make millions more than the sewage cleaner in India but you still worry about money too.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol why you guys throwing names around there isnt anybody better than Rivers for the MLE, like why would Rox take a risk for someboduly else when Rivers already did a great job?

And no Rivers wont get more than MLE the NBA is saturated with guards already. Rivers hasnt shown good playmaking or shooting ability I mean his averages are 8 and 2 nobody is gonna pay him more than MLE. He is great for us because we need defense and we have 2 of the best playmakers in the NBA already but if you actually need a pg full time Rivers wont cut it.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

With the warriors dynasty finally in flux, I don’t think anybody can rightfully claim favorite. This roster is easily among the best.

xaos likes this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I mean, I guess. There’s one place in the world we can come for solid rockets talk and it’s being used as a faux-therapy group for angry adult men.

What if it takes MLE to retain House? CF’s favorite son gonna become the new whipping boy over salary?

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

@BimaThug if we make a move like Capela or Gordon (and Nene if necessary) for no incoming salary and pick/s, would we be able to use the no tax MLE and BAE without ending up hardcapped?

#150 Vivi, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  11. rockets13champs

Ok so we got 2 options this summer

A. Jimmy Butler Rockets Roster

B. Current Rockets Roster plus MLE

A.

Paul/ Ponds
    Harden/Crabbe
    Butler/Gordon/ House
    Tucker/Bjelica
    Deandre Jordan-MLE/Hartenstein/Robin Lopez

This is assuming Ponds was taken Bc Morey knows he will not be able to pay Austin’s rivers

Atlanta Hawks buy out crabbe. With the addition of Reddish, hunter, Huerter, Bazemore, Bembry. Hawks might have to buy out Crabbe to allow the young guns to play. Crabbe In Houston is a perfect fit, coming off a 18M/ Y contract I’m sure he wouldn’t mind taking a vets min.

Shumpert/ Nene is sign and traded for opt in Butler

Capela is traded to Sacramento for 2020 first and Bjelica

Deandre and Lopez sign for vets minimum

House returns via matching from restricted free agency

Rockets will have 2 2020 picks going into the season for any big time mid season addition.

B. No butler

Paul/ Ponds
    Harden/Crabbe
    Gordon/ House/ Shumpert
    Tucker/ Mirotic?-MLE
    Capela/ Deandre

Crabbe, Deandre- vets minimum

Shumpert player option is picked up for a trade in the future. (Mid season?)

MLE targets? : ROndae Hollis Jefferson, Wilson Chandler, Beverley, JaMychael Green, Mirotic,Markeiff/Marcus Morris, Terrence Ross,JJ Reddick, Jabari Parker,

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Using the Non-Taxpayer MLE or the BAE at all, no matter what your team salary is, will impose the hard cap.

Also, unless you’re adding a star, why move Gordon or Capela so you can add a worse player with the MLE? You’re not getting someone better than those two players with any cap exceptions. The team is in WIN NOW mode, so they’ll need the best players they can get right now.

mikol13, D-rock, saleem and 2 others like this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oh i see, i was asking cause in a scenario where we want to add depth and a solid player i thought another option could've been sign a similar player to the one we'd trade, like, let's say DeAndre using half the no tax MLE to replace Clint, use the other half to sign Rivers or another player, and the BAE to match House or add another player. Was just wondering if a similar scenario was even possible.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i agree we'll probably have a much better start this autumn than last season. but aside from GS, it seems like all our competition will be getting stronger as well. i'm not sure we can expect harden to go wilt again, or stay so healthy during the season either. if we just stand pat it's going to be another strong season, but one in which harden/tucker get worn down again and our overall rebounding/athleticism/length are probably still lacking.

saleem, Dankstronaut and BaselineFade like this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think one distinction here is that a guy like butler has only a few more years left in this profession, while you likely still have decades ahead of you. that's why opting in may be something he wants to do but then also has that little voice telling him to grab that guaranteed MAX now and don't let go. btw what type of food is your specialty? (i'm a foodie)

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

And why would Philly trade is Jimmy Butler for Shumpert and NeNe? They are better off just letting him leave. It will cost Gordon at a minimum.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Throw everything at Terrence Ross.

He's a former top 10 pick by Toronto that is finally coming into his own in Orlando. Will fill our much needed athletic-wing 3+D starter that we are sorely missing.

The kid is great when coming off screens and can shot the ball extremely well. He shot 38% from 3 point range and took about 3 a game.

D-rock likes this.
  18. rockets13champs

A couple dudes have been using that scenario on Twitter.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

True very true. Also he seems to be very happy in Philly, but if you read some of his interviews since the season has concluded his desire to win a championship is starting to trump all. Does he have a better shot of that in Philly or Houston? Would he enjoy launching 10 open 3's a game with Harden or would he rather keep slacking up the youngsters in Philly?

I agree its a fantasy scenario, but I cant see too many other players sliding in and actually helping this team plays its style. I guess my backup "dollar store" players would be:

Tomas Satoransky, Terrance Ross, Rodney Hood, Malcolm Brogdon.

saleem likes this.
  20. BigBum

BigBum Member

According to Keith Smith, there are 350 million dollars cap rooms for role players if 3 stars change the teams.
    Exception 50 million.
    350 + 50m =400m for role players in June 30.

#160 BigBum, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019