1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is our ceiling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Handles, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Handles

Handles Member

I've seen threads asking if we think "Moreyball" will be successful in earning us that finals trophy. Based on our location and the fact that it isn't attractive enough for free agents my opinion would be no. It could and will make us a dangerous team, one that is loads of fun to watch, but I don't think it will win us a championship anytime soon.

That being said, what do you think our ceiling is with moreyball? At least in this decade. I think we could become a team like the pacers. Bird has fielded together a very nice team in Indiana and if I'm not mistaken, none of their players were very high draft picks. Without tanking, we won't have a high draft pick barring a trade. If morey gathered enough players to be as competitve as the pacers I would be more than happy. We're already close. Of course, its no championship but its still a solid team that should make the playoffs easily for years to come.

What do you think is our ceiling?

2. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Since our strategy is really upgrading assets one at a time, until we upgrade to trade for a superstar, and because superstars are trending toward the desire to play with other superstars, I don't think our location is really holding us back as much as many have claimed. The thing we're really waiting for is that one superstar player that attracts 1 or more other upcoming free agents, and we'll get him through trade (another upgrade).

Because of that, our ceiling really is a championship. It's just a matter of time.

I think you're asking the wrong question. I think you should be asking how long Moneyball will take to win a championship, not about what the ceiling of it is...

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Thabeet has a pretty large standing reach.

4. Handles

Handles Member

Eventually, our beloved rockets will win another championship. When that day comes ill sing my lungs out from the highest mountain. Will that championship come with morey at the helms using his and les's moneyball strategy? I sure hope so. But some people don't believe they will win us a championship. I know those people are out there. So I created this thread with the hopes of discussing it. It's good when people disagree :grin:

5. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

The conclusion that moneyball cannot win a championship is short sighted. With enough time, continuously upgrading every position and roster spot on the team should yield a championship.

Now, you agree that eventually the Rockets will win another one. It seems to me that your question is really whether we'll do it while Morey is on staff, not necessarily whether we'll do it with a Moneyball strategy. So maybe that should be the question.

Will DM be our GM when the Rockets win their next championship? I don't know. But I'd bet that the odds are against it.

6. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

before money ball, the ceiling was first round exit.
    with money ball, the ceiling is pick #14.

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Morey is desperate so depends on how badly he wants to keep his job. The fact he is pursuing Gasol so aggressively tells me he just want to get a (so called) All-Star so he can say what he has been doing the last few years has finally paid off. To me, his strategy is going to fail, but he is probably going to stay because Gasol will please the fans who are going to support this team because we have a 'name' now. Also Gasol would please that evil bald grandpa.

8. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

The floor, to answer your question

Moe

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Gasol is just to lay the ground work for other moves. I guarantee, just like with the first vetoed Gasol deal, this deal would come with multiple moves built around it. Obviously Morey isn't dumb enough to think that Gasol alone would bring them back to the promise land. This front office is full of analytical personalities that dont do something without reason for doing it.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What is our ceiling?

[​IMG]

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I dont think our location is holding the team back either .... Just think of how many current and former NBA players make their offseason homes in Houston.

Its more about the talent , or lack of on this roster when it comes to attracting top tier FA's.

12. Handles

Handles Member

Well yea, the odds are against nearly every team not based in miami to win it all. Maybe okc too.

The thing with moreyball is that on paper the strategy is fantastic. It may take a while to get relevant but it can work. Based on past championship teams however, it has not been done. Morey knows this and has stated it many times. This thread is not a knock on moreys gm skills whatsoever. I think the man has done a fantastic job here given that his hands have been tied in about fifty different ways. But my question still stands, I just may add a time frame. Within five years, how much better is our team likely to get? We'll get better. But I'm thinking like pacers better AT BEST. This is all considering les is making us go from average to great without tanking for high picks.

13. Handles

Handles Member

Hmmm I disagree. None of our players have that grand of a mustache.