1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think NBA players are going to do this season during the national anthem?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, Oct 8, 2017.

?

What do you think NBA players will do during the Anthem this opening night?

1. Stand with no other form of protest

11.1%
  2. Stand but have some other form of protest visible(locking arms, standing back,etc)

44.4%
  3. Kneel

22.2%
  4. Protest in some way but NOT the national anthem

22.2%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT WHAT THEY SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T DO DURING THE ANTHEM....open your own thread in the hangout board if you want to discuss your belief system. That's not the point of this thread and I encourage everyone to call out people who don't respect this very simple request.

I'm simply asking for some predictions of what we think will happen on opening night. Whether we like it or not, all eyes will be the first few NBA games during the anthem - if for no other reason but to compare/contrast the NFL and the NBA. We know the NBA has a rule to stand for the anthem(and that Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was suspended for violating the rule ages ago) but the question is will players still find a way to protest and if they do, what will it be?

In the preseason games we have already heard of a few protests(JR Smith standing back from teammates), Enes Kanter said he would kneel, Kobe said he would kneel if he were playing, and there has been talk of joining arms during the anthem. What do you guys think the NBA players will do? I'm inclined to think the players are quietly discussing this among themselves now - they seem a little more organized/closer knit than NFL players do(in fairness, the NBA community is much smaller than the NFL one). I think all eyes are going to be on the Lebron and Steph Currys of the world....so what do you guys think they will do?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The NBA, the league office and it's fans, despite being largely rich and white, are substantially more woke than the plutocratic shitbirds who run the shield and doesn't really wrap itself in the flag in the same fashion, nor does it devour brains like football

Probably not as big a deal.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think some will kneel.

DD

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rockets should wear clown masks as protest of both McHale and Trump.

Seriously, though. Don't forget that Chris Paul is the president of the Player's Union. What Chris Paul does will be very important to many players and owners throughout the league. I'll certainly be more interested with what Chris Paul does that what Stephanie does ... as a Rockets player or not.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't care.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Good point about Paul - he certainly seems to be one of those guys who wields a lot of power around the league but he hasn't necessarily spoken out like Stephanie and LBJ.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My belief system provides me with the knowledge that NBA players will do what they should do and not what they shouldn't.

Also Trump is a terrible human being.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh, he sure did. You didn't read his tweet(s) about Trump. I thought he was the most vocal, albeit LBJ said "u bum." Don't recall Stephanie saying anything like LBJ, Paul, Kobe and Draymond did. Maybe I missed it.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Steph called him an ass months ago (asset minus the 'et'). Also basically forced UnderArmours CEO to walk back his statement supporting Trump. Also said multiple times he wouldn't go to the WH. Prob some other things that we both missed ;)

heypartner likes this.