1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. jbasket

jbasket Member

I gotta worry about my blood pressure. Feel like this market gives me grey hair sometimes :)

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Same, the absurd volatility and often illogical market responses are why I'm mainly holding long-term projects atm. Still in college for a few more months, will start with the daily trading once I got a job and constant income.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nearing 6200$, what a month. Alts are terribly suffering from this tho, hope BTC calms down after the fork.

Tonaaayyyy likes this.
  4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Just know the BBs are about to enter the space as market makers on some of these CCs.

When? Real near future.

SirIvyLeague reporting live, folks.

SIL

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

best exchange to sell my bitcoin gold?

7. LongTimeFan

I use an iOS app "HODL" to track cryptocurrency prices. It has a drop down where you can select which exchange to show prices from, or an aggregate of all of them.

I say this because I have no BTG and no idea where you can sell (not Bittrex, my main exchange) -- acccording to the app, the exchanges Bitfinex (BTC & USD), Bleutrade (BTC & DOGE), Etherdelta (ETH), HitBTC (BTC, ETH, USD), Novaexchange (BTC), and Yobit (DOGE, ETH, RUR, USD, WAVES) have $btg listed. Of those, I have heard of / trust Bitfinex the most. I've used etherdelta before, believe you can only trade into ethereum on there.

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Is now a good time to buy alts? And is it too late to buy bitcoin?

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Most people expect the bitcoin price to go up til the upcoming fork on Nov 16, 7k range is a pretty solid target if nothing too crazy happens.
    After the fork, you'll most likely see a temporary retrace, but don't expect it to drop below 5k or anything.
    Alts will likely suffer until the fork happens, but in the end all of this depends on how you want to invest and whether you want to hold or do daily trading.

At this stage, it's never too late to buy bitcoin. If you're simply holding and don't worry about short-term earnings and trades, you won't really lose out on too much when buying slightly over- or underperforming coins.

jbasket and clutch citizen like this.
  10. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yeah, gonna hold btc, until like the 15th, give take then sell to tether/alt. Optimistic to make up ground for all my dumb moves earlier.

@Yung-T did you catch the Groestl coin rise?

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Oh god it already went to 7k

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Most people thought 7k-7.5k would be the short-term peak due to people jumping on the train, followed by a retrace to 5k (lowest point most think it can go to atm), but you of course never know. Didn't expect it to already hit 7k tonight.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Didn't trust the pump and felt like it's a short-term investment, but you never know how it develops in the next years.

14. LongTimeFan

I've been raising my stop loss limits at the price climbs. A little worried of a dump to liquidate me out before HF, but I'd still profit based on its jump this last week.

Now the hard decision: buy up alts before HF and hope for big bounce after, or take the "free" money from the HF?

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Most people I know are gambling for the rise of alts after the fork, it's probably the best thing to do if history repeats itself.

These forks are extremely bad for crypto though when thinking long-term, the market becomes unpredictable (especially for new investors) and many will be reluctant to buy alts or invest too much btc. Right now this whole thing is sadly driven by profits instead of technology, white papers and roadmaps. Crypto will never become truly mainstream until that mindset changes and the market isn't dictated by whales.

#1475 Yung-T, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  16. LongTimeFan

Agreed. Hopefully enough new money comes in to combat the whales -- only way to stop that.

The issue with the HF is it drives up bitcoin prices to new all time high levels each time -- at the expense of every other coin. We just had a HF in October, now another in November -- and you can bet on another in the few months after. It will be hard for literally any other coin to gain a foothold if the HF pumps and dumps keep happening so frequently.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Feel the same atm, I will alter my btc:alt ratio quite a bit and go bigger on btc. With all these forks, most investors likely will only trust bitcoin in the near future and not touch any alts.

18. LongTimeFan

My buddy just told me there's another HF in December? Bitcoin Silver?

Haven't seen that elsewhere, but if true.. this is getting ridiculous.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It is true, unless it turns out to be a scam in the last minute. There's very little hype around it right now, so I don't think it will have too much of an impact on the market.

20. LongTimeFan

hard fork cancelled, commence btc dump...

Yung-T likes this.