1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're playing the greatest team in NBA history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, May 20, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The debate was over when a 73 win team already making the case for best ever added one Kevin Durant.

So when people complain about our D or our O let's just remember that GS is the best in the business in D and the best ever in O. Rockets hustled tonight but where just overmatched. They just have too many weapons and are too good. So good they should be illegal. It's a joke.

The only basketball team in the history of basketball that is better than this Warriors team is the 1992 team that won a gold medal in Barcelona.

They are Goliath and we are david. The fact that we could even scare them is an accomplishment.

2. MD_in_Training

To call them "great" would be to cheapen the word. When you unfairly stack a team and they cruise to victory after victory, that's hardly "great."

lw17, napalm06, Lawlruschang and 4 others like this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

no... we couldnt make a freaking layup and played like we dgaf for large portions of the game...

4. kjayp

It pains me to say it... but that's crap... regardless of how the team was assembled, it does not detract from who they are...
    Was SA not great bc they tanked for Duncan?
    Were the Yankees not great because they overspent everybody else?
    You may not like how the team was assembled, but doesnt make them any less great....

5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So this is why we missed a bunch of layups?

lw17, OldYelllowDog, juanm34 and 4 others like this.
  6. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

“Playing” is a bold word in this thread title.

We didn’t play at all tonight

CapelaOnlyFan, Tfor3 and DudeWah like this.
  7. Mr. Space City

i disagree that they hustled tonight, but i agree the warriors are a pretty good team, and would give most 80's and 90's nba champion teams that work.

8. ReignSupreme

ReignSupreme Member

Not this bullshit

lw17 likes this.
  9. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

They won't so good in Game 2.

Unfortunately, Rockets beat themselves tonight.

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Its still **** GS and their next 3 rings...

11. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Rox let the Warriors of the hook in the first half and the Warriors came out and kicked their asses in the second half. Rox looked shook and didn't compete most of this game. Yes Warriors are a great team but they were vulnerable in that first half and the Rox just couldn't take advantage. This game to me was a lot about how bad the Rox were.

lw17 likes this.
  12. MD_in_Training

Well, the word great has some subjectivity to it. People may perceive it differently. Otherwise, you can just use concrete words or phrases like "most dominant" or "most wins" or "most talent" or "most championships" or even "best."

For me, "great" carries with it some connotation of trial by fire, or achieving against all odds. Your interpretation may be different.

RudyTBag and kjayp like this.
  13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

We gonna ignore the 1995 Rockets?

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You can call them whatever you want.

They have yet to lose a series. They have yet to lose more than a single game in a series after adding Durant.

We are the first team to have home court advantage against them. We might soon be the first team to beat them in Oracle and/or win two games against them.

That's what we are competing with. Anything more than one game won against them in a series is treading new water and something that no other team in the league has accomplished. That's how stupid stacked this Warriors team is.

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

It does make them less great, does it make me great if I can outrun a whole class of 3rd graders? Sports are a competition, a battle of wit, strength, heart, discipline, work and challenge. When a group like this faces no challenge then how can you measure their greatness? When its all said and done this group in GS will remember the good times, but the challenge was never there. There was never competition or adversity. They won because that is the only outcome when you put together a group of four all stars and two mvp's in their prime. I don't see how anyone outside of Oakland can respect The Warriors. I do not, but I do acknowledge them as champions and nearly unbeatable. But I don't admire what they have done, its been expected and their "greatness" was not due to adversity but through cowardliness from a 73 win team and an MVP in his prime to face adversity. They can win this year and the next and the one after that. And I as many others others will see it as a, meh....

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nah, we're just playing the greatest team of the last 7 or 8 years. They've won exactly 2 titles in the last 40+ years, same as the Rockets. They're not even as good at the 2000+ Heat, the 2000+ Lakers or the 2000+ Spurs, let alone the Mighty Celtics of the '60s.

Did you guys just start watching NBA basketball in 2013 or something?!?

17. kjayp

i never said I respect them... but imo there's no denying their 'greatness'... they are clearly the most dominant team, they are loaded with talent, and there's no denying the end results...
    Technically, if you wanna talk overcoming adversity... you gotta give 'em props for juggling egos and keeping everyone happy... we couldn't do it with Barkley and Quitten...

People talk about Brady and the Pats being 'great'... i think they're a bunch of cheating sob's.... but they've actually been caught cheating... acquiring KD was anything against the rules...

so do I like it? no, of course not... but denying their greatness just seems like sour grapes - imo...

red5rocket likes this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nope. When you talk about greatness, how often does the Malone-Stockton era Jazz come up? NEVER, because they never won ****.

The Worriers have won 2 titles, same as a half-dozen other teams in the last 25 years. They are very good. The best team of the last FOUR YEARS, maybe. Get back to me in 2021 or 2022 if you want to talk how great they are.

#18 topfive, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    lw17 and D-rock like this.
  19. kjayp

question... so the 92 Dream Team wasn't great? I mean they were the most stacked team of all time and certainly didnt have anything in the way of real opposition... so because they were head and shoulders above the competition - they were not great? Am I understanding the rationale correctly? :)

20. kjayp

so 3 of the top 13 best regular season records ever - back to back to back - culminating in a couple championships doesn't qualify as a 'great' team... lol...ok... lol