1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Well who are your 5 athletes of the Century

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by R0ckets03, Jan 1, 2000.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

No way anyone comes even close to Graf. Not Navratilova, nor Monica. If you just watched her play you would know. She was probably more dominant in tennis then Mike was in the NBA. Seles's athlecism does not even remotely match that of Graf's. As for Navratilova, she was good but the only competition she faced was Chris Everett.

2. RocketHead2

RocketHead2 Member

There is, in my mind, some question as to whether Ali was even the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time, much less the greatest boxer of all time, much less the greatest athelete of all time. Let's remember Rocky Marciano who was the only undefeated heavyweight champion ever. But aside from the heavyweight division, two other boxers in my opinion should be considered. Sugar Ray Robinson and Chavez. Even if you argue that Ali was better than all three of these guys, let's call him the greatest boxer of all time. One of the top atheletes of the century though? Come on guys. I agree with popeye on all but these. Didrickson,Owens, Thorpe and maybe even Gretsky. Id also give it up for Laver if the competition wasn't so sparce in his day. No one else has ever won the grand slam in tennis (mens) much less done it twice. I'd even look at Carl Lewis before Ali or even Jackie Robinson. Get off the band wagon guys. DaDakota was right about Ali, although I prefer to judge him by his athleticism and not his character. No way is Ali a top 5 athelete of the century.

3. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Gee, this isn't really Rockets-related. I think I'll move it to the BBS Hangout.

Thanks y'all.

4. ArmChair Coach

Azim:

As for his refusal to fight in Vietnam, you have to understand the situation in the U.S at that time. Blacks were treated like dirt, and from his perspective, he was standing up for his rights, as well as his people's.

That is a bunch of crap. 1965 marked the United States main entry into Vietnam. Four years later, that equal rights thing happened eliminating the racial prejudism in the goverment. The excuse of his people being treated like dirt is BS. He could have gone to Vietnam in 1969 up until the US withdrew. He didn't want to fight because he was too chicken, just as all of the other draft dodging cowards.