1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Well, At Least Morey Tried

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Feb 22, 2019.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Ryan Anderson contract
    Chris Paul $160 mil

roxallways likes this.
  2. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Tried to sign cheap players and avoid tax, but he don't do any remediation on the small forward position. Trade Ariza, prince and ennis out, get an average 4 points player. We need a strong small forward to help harden to get champion. Existing team is unable to beat thunder, nuggets and warriors

3. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I agree. I’ve never understood all the high praise considering how many boneheaded moves this guy makes, not to mention the horrible contracts. All of this years moves were absolutely atrocious. And now they’re all gone. What a waste of freaking money. CP3’s contract is a joke. Now the Rockets can’t sign anyone else worth a damn for the next 3 years. And to top it off, he’s given away every single draft pick, meaning we’re gonna roll out the same group of scrubs around Harden next year.

Seriously, how many years have we will watch the trade deadline come and go I am where does absolutely nothing and other teams had significant pieces. Seems like every free agent worth a damn somewhere else, the more he signs the most over rated players. He gave away a first round pick to sign Shumpert? This guy can’t shoot, never could shoot. Why not just sign someone for the G league and save the pick for next year. Not that it would matter because he would trade it away again.

Tomstro and cheke64 like this.
  4. jowman

jowman Member

Not easy, but Moreys had his job for 12 years. Assuming each team has a equal chance every year that’s a 40% chance of winning at least one in 12 years. This is not factoring in the fact that he’s considered a top GM by a lot of the guys here and had a top 5 player in Harden for most of those years. He got harden which is great but it should make his job much easier in that he already has a superstar to build around and also use to attract other stars.

Of all the teams Houston has one of the worst set ups for the future since they don’t have enough talent to win it all, and lack flexibility to make any further moves. Most teams are either clearly going all in now to win the championship or acquiring assets for the future, what are the rockets doing? That Chris Paul contract sealed their fate for the next few years.

cheke64 likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

How did you get 40% chance? Did you just add each year's chances together? That's a wreckless way of using percentages.

If I had one chance to win a lotto that's 1:100 every year and I played for 50 years straight that doesn't mean I had a 50% chance to win the lotto after 50 years.

Let's clean that up before we go into the rest of your post.

harold bingo and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Morey tried? yeah, Morey is trying to F this season up after we were the best team last year. Needs to drop the plate at the buffet line and sign House.

7. steddinotayto

Did you enjoy last season? The 65 wins, the team taking the Warriors to 7 games and losing because something that was entirely out of Morey's control happened to Chris Paul's hamstring? Who put that team together?

Do you openly pine for bringing back Ariza and Luc this year when, looking at the situation now, neither player could have helped us sustained the loss of Paul, Gordon, and Capela to injuries?

As for House, he played well and deserves to be on this team playing significant minutes but let's not kid ourselves that his loss was that impactful. The most damaging loss this season was when Capela went down. Before that Harden and Clint had this team rolling.

Like I said before, if Morey gets fired I'm not going to feel any sympathy for him but we better be damn sure the incoming GM has a plan to turn this team around and also the backing and support from ownership.

Often times we take things for granted with this franchise only to wish for things to come back. Like wanting JVG to return, or Les to be owner again, etc.

8. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Ryan Anderson was overpaid but he was an important part of the team that won 55 games and got to the second round. He has already flipped him.

Chris Paul nearly got us a ship.... it was a risk worth taking. Since the other options were to either tank or be a team like Portland...

9. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

If flipped means losing a FRP in 2019, DeAndre Melton and 2 SRPs to flip Ryan Anderson for a rental of Shump then yeah...out of a bunch of lemons he made a bunch of rotten beets.

I've been a huge Morey fan, but nearly everything he's done since last season ended has ended up neutral or terrible. He gets an F for the past 12 months after being an A or solid B most other years. Given his quality track record, I'm not saying he should be fired. However he's lost a lot of his accumulated goodwill going forward. We ended up with the oldest and shortest NBA team on his watch...and with very little roster flexibility to get better. That's not on Tillman, that's on him. We could be looking at 3 years of 41 to 48 wins....Champions of Mediocrity.

#89 PolarBear, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It's on tilman .

The rockets should have very well been a LT team this year .

We prioritized getting under .

Tilman says it's so he can be over the next 3 years .... we will see .

Our position going forward next year looks a lot different if we have House on a 3/9 , hartenstein wins the backup center , and Clark becomes a rotation player . ... furthermore we would have knights contract and the assets we traded as chips for a different trade .

But that couldn't happen because we needed to be under the LT this year

11. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

So now what? Our only chips to play in the offseason are to trade EG (who's lost a ton of trade value with his gawd awful season), and PJ Tucker (who is nearly 34). I don't see that 'haul' bringing us a lot in return for '19-'20...other than a hail-mary for a $20MM 'bad' contract for a yet to be named 3 or a 4 that Morey thinks might be a better fit with us than his current team.

12. steddinotayto

Just like every offseason we won't know what Morey will do until it happens so it's pointless to be skeptical about anything in the future just because the present looks bad.

If we are to believe Tilman won't put any financial restrictions on Morey this summer then we have the full non-taxpayer MLE to work with and we will most likely use the combination of Gordon and Nene to acquire a good player on a bad contract.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed it doesn't look good . You could refer to some of @Corrosion 's posts to get a better outlook . But yea , we are going to be hampered this offseason

Agreed . But , I also think I've read something about using that full non-taxpayer MLE hard-capping us and Morey wouldn't do that.

We will have to wait and see . I would feel a lot better if we had House locked up though .

14. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

When I said that Morey tried, I meant that it seemed like he “tried” to get a decent return for the Ryno/BK contracts.

The Memphis/Miami deal was supposedly close to be being a done deal.Considering what we had which wasn’t much, he tried to address areas of concern for this team. A PF, SF(kinda) and a knock down shooter that MDA would trust in the playoffs. He obviously failed, and I still haven’t gotten over it unfortunately.

We wound up with Shump when it was all said and done. I hope he can become a positive contributor to the team.

“Morey tried” just meant that he saw what we needed and tried to address it. P Riley apparently had other ideas.

I know you guys are tired Morey saying that he came close and missed again, but I believe him this time. 3 rotation worthy players for BK and Chriss would have been a nice way to salvage a bad situation, and we would have had a stronger roster heading into the playoffs.

Oh well.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We will NOT have the full non taxpayer MLE to work with , no way no how. I've explained in a dozen posts already that with current committed salary & cap holds for next season and use of the full NT MLE puts us above the apron which you can not exceed at any point during the league year if you use that exemption.

steddinotayto and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. steddinotayto

Thanks for the correction. I will still stand my original point that we don't know what Morey will do this summer so being skeptical or pessimistic about it is just pointless right now.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think there's good reason to be skeptical …. They will be over the cap and don't have any financial mechanisms (other than the T-MLE and veterans minimums) to ADD talent to the players under contract for next season.
    They will have only 8 players under contract to begin the league year - Three of those are not rotation players in Nene , Clark & Hartenstein.
    Rivers , Faried , GG , House & Shumpert will be free agents. Only Shumpert has Full Bird rights. House is an RFA but they can match only up to the minimum without tapping into the MLE. GG probably sticks around for his Early Bird number.

Its unrealistic to believe they retain either Rivers & Faried for the early bird numbers. Rivers $2.272M - Faried $2.435M Those would be bargain prices for both …. if you use the MLE funds for one or the other you still aren't adding anything , you are just standing still.

They have no draft picks and have spent their allotment of cash that could have been used to buy #2's.

They simply don't have a lot of ways to get better next season …. they gave all the assets that could have helped this offseason away to duck the tax. They have one potential asset in Shumpert's bird rights but they couldn't trade him for 90 days & its pretty much frowned upon to trade a player you just extended / retained so it'll probably be EG that is traded but …. what return do you expect ?

steddinotayto and pippendagimp like this.
  18. steddinotayto

Based on what you posted and I'm on the same page with you, what do you suggest we do with Morey? I admittedly don't know your opinion on him nor whether not you want him fired but just curious because we either let Morey get himself out of this mess somehow or accelerate the process and hire a new GM to go through the tear down.

My feeling is that you're not going to find another GM that can turn this team around due to Paul's contract and the lack of picks you mentioned.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Everything that happened this offseason in my opinion is a complete 180 from what we have seen Morey do over the course of the last 12 years.
    Morey's the guy who turns assets for a nickel more than cost …. and eventually ends up with a C Note.

Not resigning Ariza when you had nothing to replace him with and no financial means to do so.
    The Ryno dump cost him Melton and didn't solve anything , just brought back dead weight.
    Dumping Chriss for nothing at the expense of a 2nd when other teams used expiring's positively.
    Sending Ennis packing.
    A first round pick to dump Knight in exchange for the expiring Shumpert which shed just the right amount of salary to avoid the tax.
    Sending Baldwin & Stauskus out the door at the cost of a 2nd.
    The MLE going unused other than the portion used to sign Clark & Hartenstein. They still have $3.9m of that left.

The worst part is how bare the cupboard is in terms of assets to improve next season - That's not the Morey way of doing things. They have literally no financial flexibility.

That leads me to believe its not Morey but Tilman that's the problem. Get out of tax territory.

PolarBear likes this.
  20. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Wait, based on some posters comments, it’s Tillman’s fault for giving away next years 1st rd draft pick and signing Shumpert. It’s also his fault for signing Melo, MCW, and Ennis... oh, and trading signing Anderson for scrubs that would all be trade away. Yes, it’s Tillman’s fault, I’m sure of it (sarcasm) Lol!!!