1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Well, At Least Morey Tried

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Feb 22, 2019.

1. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

That's actually a good idea. I would clean house because traditionally, if things aren't working out, it's probably time to move on, but if I were to choose, it'd be: 1) D'Antoni, 2) Fertitta, 3) Morey as unrealistic as that sounds.

2. Sanity2disChaos

Bingo. He’s a great numbers guy!! But he doesn’t know basketball. I still don’t think he could hit 2 free throws in a row. In a empty gym.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

This is just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what works.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Fair enough.

5. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Morey is a good GM but the league has gotten smarter and his scouting is atrocious. He truly is horrific with his judgement on pretty much all players that aren’t clearly good.

BasketMAD and cheke64 like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

How do you get this better GM? Lol you keep missing the point and assuming just because we replace Morey some legendary GM is gonna replace him and I already explained to you in so many ways why thats not gonna happen.

I spent all this time explaining to you why thats just not possible right now when the Harden era is done if Tillman thinks Morey sucks then he can replace him and blow everything up but not right now when all the core decisions have been made and no GM can change the course of the team for the next 4 years. To replace Morey now would be the height of lunacy and if you don't get that then ok whatever.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Check his username if he was Basketlike then you can ask that question

HP3 likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Exactly. It's typical fan reaction to want change without knowing what the change is.

"X sucks fire him."

Is not a plan and wouldn't make things better it would make things worse.

HP3 likes this.
  9. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

When hardens leave Houston my response will be "Well duh ya"

10. HP3

HP3 Member

It’s really frustrating cause if everyone wants to talk about who to fire instead of looking at what we are doing wrong on defense. this season really blows right now

roslolian likes this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey used to have an edge based on playstyle and analytics, but now every team in the league plays like we do and has a robust analytics department. What edge does Morey have now?

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

what do you define as failure?

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you replace him with someone doesn't play like we do and doesn't have a robust analytics department not only do you lose an edge you also become behind the rest of the teams in the L.

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

If only Morey could force other teams to give up good players for bad players. You know, like all the trades that Clutchfans think are possible, but in reality are almost impossible to pull off.

#74 Newlin, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Reeko and Zoplicone like this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I think it would be best to just part company with Morey if this isn’t fixed by next season. Give him ONE season to right his mistakes from this season. If we suck like this next year its time for changes. Dan toney should be on the same hot seat too .

16. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

We do have the worst fans. They are literally some of the stupidest people on the planet. They are into making changes because that is what ESPN says you should do. They don't form their own opinion. #sheep

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yes both he and hinkie brought him in. but morey has not been able to complete the supporting cast around harden going on 7 years now, which is why i've been saying he needs help making decisions in the form of a seasoned bball guy to aid in judgement. and even though i see this season as a "waterfall" or "crash&burn" on morey's part, i agree w/ you it's not practical to just get rid of him at this late stage now. additionally because we all know tilman is not going to eat either his or MDA's salaries anyways. so instead i think this offseason the decision-making structure should be altered where morey and said bball guy consult w/ each other on player transactions as well as offense/defense methodology.

18. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Morey's contract is till the 21-22 season. He is here at least 2 more years.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Morey has been with us since 2007?

We have yet to tank.
    We have never had a losing record.
    We have harden and made playoffs quite often under him.
    It's hard to judge how well morey can draft first round picks since he actually never got single digits (I think).

U want to grab a rando guy and blow it up during Hardens prime?

We never even gave morey a chance to tank.
    Morey never got the full experience as a GM. And I still think he will do better than the replacement. U will btch so hard if the new gm fks up, morey fks up but he provide decent results.

20. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

In what way is he overrated? What was the one mistake he made or opportunity he passed up that truly blew up in his face and set the Rockets back.