1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Well, At Least Morey Tried

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Feb 22, 2019.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I was bummed about the reported deal between the Rockets, Grizz, and Heat thst for some reason fell through. Morey said again that Miami backed out for whatever reason.

I believe thst deal would have bolstered our depth enough to give us s real chance vs GS. I know the names aren’t flashy but what those players would have provided is exactly what the team is lacking right now for just 2 main reasons:

1. Defense/rebounding

Both Temple and Green are defense first guys. They both hustle and take on challenges defensively.

I don’t love Temple because of his lack of length but he can defend and is about an inch taller than Shump. He’s smart and savvy defensively. I thought he could be kind of a poor mans Ariza defensively.

Green is also a plus defender, can switch decently enough, and most importantly can rebound. In just 22 minutes a game this year he is still averaging over 6 boards per.

2. 3 point shooting

Temple’s career average is is about 35.5%

Green’s career average is 36.5%

Ellington’s career average is 38%

Ellington would have been the wildcard. He set the nba all time record for 3 pointers made in a season for someone coming off the bench (207) just last year.

Considering our offensive philosophy of volume 3 point shooting, he would have made perfect sense as a reserve. He’s the consistent volume 3 point gun slinger this team sorely lacks.

Morey doesn’t seem like he wants House back whenever he is asked about him. He seems to almost dodge the question. I think this was their plan to move forward without House. Shump was probably plan C at best.

CP/Rivers
    Harden/Gordon
    Temple/Ellington
    PJ/ Green or Green/PJ
    Clint/Manimal

Rivers would lose the most PT but that second unit of CP, Gordon, Ellington, Green, and Faried would have been explosive.

I see what Morey was trying to do.

Whenever we either can’t get a stop, a rebound or make wide open 3’s, I will be haunted by this deal gone wrong.

Damn you Riley.

Did this lack of a deal dash our championship hopes or am I overvaluing these 3 role players?

napalm06 and xiki like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah, extremely bummed that deal fell through. I don't know if it's better that we know it did, or not.

One thing that hasn't been discussed so much here is the regression of Austin Rivers. And why did Shumpert forget how to shoot when he put on a red uniform. Is the Ryan Anderson colorblindness theory contagious?

seeingred and roslolian like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morey has a "we tried but couldn't get it done" story every single trade deadline. at some point the teflon on this guy should be wearing off right? he has failed the fans and more importantly failed harden this season and the litany of excuses are quite frankly, bullshit

ISOBall, vick, bmelo and 8 others like this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Morey sucks. I have never understood all the praise he gets.

How many years in a row has he failed?

“Oh but he’s so intelligent!!”

ISOBall, vick, jowman and 7 others like this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I certainly don't think he sucks, his inability to draft players and carousel of roster turnover because his low regard for role players bites us in the ass. He's a good-average GM, not the best GM in the league. Quite frankly, we could do a lot worse. I just wish people stopped tlaking about him like he walks on air

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

But he has an MIT degree or Morey has never been given a chance to rebuild.

Tomstro likes this.
  7. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

This year has been a very bad year for him. Everyone he grabbed in the offseason besides draft picks are gone. And the swinging and missing for players has cost Harden and the team another year. Just getting bare minimum players to hobble a team together around him and Paul is frustrating as a fan to watch. That along with regression of Tucker and Gordon has made this season a sad reality that last year might have really been our window. Do I think they can turn it around? Sure, but that is just my optimistic feeling because there is no other option besides throwing in the towel. The team cannot finish games and with very little depth and no help with signing two players just to meet the quota is maddening. Morey has done an awful job this season. Only bright side is that Harden hasn't checked out like the last year with Dwight.

ISOBall, vick, bmelo and 3 others like this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'll say this, as someone w/ decades experience in the fund management biz... numbers are only part of the puzzle and no strict quant-only out there shows success over the longhaul, with many examples such as LongTermCapitalManagement crashing out. the quant is the guy who compliments your methodology and decision-making... not the big kahuna. case in point, morey is always touting how he loves to swing for the fences. problem is he lacks the bball sense to know when to swing and when not to. this is the difference between some of the full r****d decisions he makes and the measured judgement of a bball guy like jerry west.

bmelo, smp and Jake Tower like this.
  9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Exactly. Even those deal went through it doesn't necessary mean we will be better. We just hope it is better.
    We don't know how much Tilman pocket is limiting his decision in the off-season cause last summer was pretty bad.
    If it was all about preventing repeater tax then this year we need to see better result.
    We are lucky to have Rivers and Faried

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Oh absolutely, that should go without even saying. The people in the org and some posters on this site seem to parrot a quant only approach and get upset at the results. The 3 ball should be the cornerstone of the offense, don't get me wrong---but believing that its always the most efficient shot is a dangerous game and something this team seems to believe. Its a perfect example of how the analytics is driving in game management rather than complementing it. If the game was tied the rockets would probably shoot a fadeaway 3 over an open midrange shot---which is mindboggling to be honest.

BasketMAD, Der Rabbi and pippendagimp like this.
  11. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I've thought for years Morey is highly overrated in this fan base. He's had some limitations by ownership over the years but overall he's still overrated. This year he has flat out stunk at his job. It's really been an embarrassing year for he and ownership.

BasketMAD likes this.
  12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Mclemore and Daniel Hamilton are better than 10 days contract morey signed.

13. rockets13champs

Took harden and bunch of Gleaguers to 3 seed
    Took harden and Dwight to WCF with garbage around them
    Traded for Chris Paul in what was a championship team and lost in WCF due to a hamstring injury. Give the damn ***** a break

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

lol trying is literally part of any job description. If a GM doesn't even bother "trying" then they shouldn't be in that position in the first place.

Morey has been given excuses every year since he was hired. This forum praises him as the smartest GM in the league year after year when the only great thing he's done is bring Harden over in a trade where he admits that even he didn't foresee Harden becoming an MVP caliber player.

Trading for CP3 while giving up all of our trade-able assets was a bad decision even if we made the conference finals. Then followed it up by paying him more than Harden! A contract that has crippled us, much like that Ryno contract.

bmelo likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It has truly been a nightmare of a season for Daryl.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Nah. I’ve seen enough. He stinks.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm not opposed to replacing Morey but who do the Clutchfans forum think would be a better replacement?

18. rockets13champs

This dude got no reasoning he just hating on morey. Atleast use some facts

19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Good question. Maybe Clutchfans wants Hinkie?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not saying we should replace him but the last time we said bye to CD, Morey was the assistant GM.

One can get an assistant first to be groomed into a good GM.

If you go with senior GMs, there are more mediocre ones than really good ones, and some are also old.