1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need to build this team around Harden & Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We have a lot of problems. They are well illustrated in a few quality posts already scribed on the bbs. Defense, defensive rebounding, commitment, entry passing, offensive struggles, defensive struggles and on and on.

It boils down to one thing for me. This team is not built around the core of James Harden and Dwight Howard.

Most of our rotation was here before we got either of these guys. Asik and Lin alone now represent a large cap hit and cash hit over the next two years. They are also part of a plan that has seemingly been discarded. We need players that are going to fill in gaps between James Harden and Dwight Howard.

Harden has been lazy on defense at some points. we are going to ride that guy into the ground if we are expecting him to carry us on offense (he has won us more games than lost us). A lot of stars out there can be this way. They probably have a bit more of a team structure that is oriented toward covering up this person. One thing I will say in the defense of James is that teams are really running him through some physical screens. Especially early in games.

I am grateful to Kevin McHale for helping to get Howard. He may still have a shot at impacting the post game of D12 as well. You have this great young core now with H&H. That should dictate the coach. Probably moreso than just the coach being able to help in the post (maybe). The Harden/Howard pick and roll is specifically something I just don't see enough of. Harden/Howard need better coaching at how to utilize this play to create open looks for the perimeter.

Daryl Morey is also becoming a culprit. No one believes that this knee injury should have kept Asik (our 3rd or 4th best asset/player) out this long. We have now rendered that asset/player worthless for the first half of the season. Probably the difference between being on track for 56 wins instead of 52. Morey has been a masterful G in getting his starts. He now needs to be masterful in building around them. The coaching system and the role players. It is probably accurate that Howard/Harden are at the very top of the second tier or stars in this league. Neither is James or Durant. They will need at least a 3rd significant player not named Lin or Parsons.

You aren't going to see Miami, Indiana or SA score 19 points in a half. The most visible difference between us and the real contenders is that our role players and stars are not complimenting each other. Chemistry is not going to solve some of the big issues we are seeing.

2. kakaman

kakaman Member

Not sure what Rockets games you are watching, but this team is built on H&H. James and Dwight both get their isos that no other player gets. The problem is there are fundamental team issues starting from the coach down that need to be resolved. Lebron was kind of a prick when he said he spoils people with his play, but he was absolutely right. Lebron makes an offense move to perfection, but we need to realize very few players in the NBA can do that. SVG had the perfect system for Dwight. The problem is when you get away from that type of system, he becomes a lot less effective. Same thing with OKC and James. When James can be the 3rd or 4th option on the team, it makes him seem unstoppable, but when he's the 1st option, you tend to dissect his flaws.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

You only need to build around Harden.

Give Harden any big man who is humble enough to set the picks for him, Harden will take this team to another level. Asik might work.

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

why do you bash howard every chance you get?

5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

H&H has to be the most ridiculous nickname I've ever heard.

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

Because he sucks?

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

We are trying to build around H&H. Who in their right mind would get two max players on the team but not build around them? The problem is we only got Howard this past offseason the this is the first season they've been together. As you said, Asik and Lin were outdated plans and seem to hinder the team more then they help with their poison pill contracts (1. the same money can be split on multiple quality role players. 2. The balloon payment in the last year makes it harder to trade them). We need to be a little more patient.

On the other hand, whether those two deserve to be built around is kind of debatable...

8. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Funny, cuz Chandler and Greg Smith were the only players still on the Roster before we got Harden (draft picks and Lin-reaquisition aside). It will be built around them, but shooters are a premium. Takes time, give some. Stop making Knee-jerk threads because it's been stated too many times that we aren't a finished product and the NBA finals was not our realistic goal....

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

H&M

Harden&Motiejunas

10. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Really just need a better starting PG with Bev, Brooks and Canaan on the bench.
    Atleast until Canaan is ready.

And obviously a much improved bench. I like what Motiejunas is doing and Garcia and Casspi would be fine at the tail end of the depth chart. This will start next summer I'm certain with a first round pick in a deep draft and not having to spend 2/3 of the offseason courting a superstar.

I'd be fine with dealing Lin (should net a good return) and Asik either for an a good vet or a pick plus expiring crap.

11. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Wanted to start a thread similar to this. I completely agree. I was really upset with McHale all season but especially last night. Then I got to thinking this morning, it really isn't his fault we don't have a true pg that can facilitate and run set plays. With the personnel we have we need someone who can feed Howard and kick out to Harden and Parsons.

12. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Couldn't have said it better. Would be so nice to get a quality starting pg that can distribute and hit 3, and have Beverly and Lin off the bench with Lin at the 2. One can dream right?

13. WNBA

WNBA Member

There is maybe only one PG can do that: Chris Paul.

Nobody else will take the ball out of Harden's hand, not even Westbrook.

14. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

Sad but true. Asik and Lin are great players but they are probably not in the future plan of this team. Asik is a goner. Lin tried really hard to adapt to his new role but so far it's not working out that well. You can't really blame them because they were brought in to be the foundation pieces like H&H. Now they are playing a lesser/different role and their effectiveness can no longer justify their contracts. It is reasonable. I'm sure Asik and Lin can play up to their contracts in some other teams. But for the Rockets, that $16 mm could be better spent on a lot of other options:upgrading the bench/getting solid perimeter D/third star/even paying Parsons. OP made a good point but I'm sure Morey knows that. It's not like he did't try to deal Asik in December. It takes two to tango. Until then, the Rockets won't be a finished product

15. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I'd hate to lose Lin - as erratic as he as at times, I think he's mostly been a positive. Would love to see him back in the 6th man role to boost our pathetic bench play.

Our bench has been awful this year. Part of that has been injuries. Part of that is the sand in Asik's vagina. Part of that is the vortex of suck that is Garcia. Unfortunately, there may not be much we can do about this season but we should be able to upgrade this summer.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Because he's a troll. All that guy's ever done is constantly post crap every chance he gets. I'm surprised hasn't been banned consider all of the other trolls that have been.

17. WNBA

WNBA Member

All you ever done is to pull troll labels out of your ass and faking surprised by your own stunt.

18. chandlerbang21

Need the big man to dominate in paint not set picks at top of the key. Dwight needs to go back to backing people down and dunking on them. No more face up drives to the paint

19. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

How can Lin distribute?? He gets looked off by even the 4 man.He is not allowed to be a point guard, when he is he has games like Boston,and San Antonio.The primary problem on this team by faaaar is coaching not talent

20. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I thought this team IS built around Harden and Howard. Have I been watching something else?