1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It depends on the scheme.

Tebow completed 66% in college and Vince Young 62%.

They were both horribly inaccurate in the NFL.

justtxyank likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No idea.

The Texans should be trying to fix it but they don't appear to be doing so.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Savage has looked better, as he should considering experience. This team should be a contender, so playing the better QB should be the primary concern. I'm not sure why so many people are absolutely convinced that Savage will be dog s**t.

If Watson gets better, or if Savage plays poorly or gets hurt they can make a change, but right now the starter looks clear to me.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It is week two of the preseason for God's sake.

Cool your jets, man.

Nigel Thornberry, Fulgore and Newlin like this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Don't come with that Bullshit. Watson is a MUCH better than both of them. Come on, now.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Get a ****ing grip. We know u don't like Watson, don't be a dumbass.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised so many people think this team is a "contender", especially with Savage under center.

This team is not winning, let alone getting to, a Superbowl with Nic Cage as the QB.

The Watson era should begin ASAP.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Completion percentage means nothing in college. They run so many screens and dump offs.

Watson has serious accuracy problems downfield, it was in his scouting report and we can see it on display. Hopefully it's fixable

Bennie Anders likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I have yet to hear one good argument why Watson should start week 1 if he isn't outplaying or equal to Savage.

Starting a rookie in his first game isn't in anybodies best interest. From what I've seen he isn't ready yet. Allowing NFL secondaries to take him to the prison shower won't make him better. Let him hold a clipboard for a few weeks. Go through the whole routine of an NFL regular season week, and breakdown some meaningful film relating to this season. There's a ton of experience to be gained without even playing.

10. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I'll have to go back and watch all Watson's throws, but I think many in here are horribly overreacting to last night.

If I recall correctly at least 3 of those throws were drops/broken up passes from good defense. Obviously he didn't look as sharp last night as he did in the first game. He also wasn't given many opportunities. 10 throws last night and 25 in the first game, and then he was quickly pulled after the touchdown drive with time to spare in the third quarter. Not to mention the receiver group was an absolute mess. It'll be nice to hopefully see Watson get some time with the ones next week.

I realize Savage hasn't done anything to lose the job, and he is almost certainly going to win it bc we have a HC without a spine, but I stand firm in my belief that it is the wrong decision. I'm not saying he's a bad QB, and he may even have a decent season, but Watson is the future and he needs to be the guy now. Growing pains are a part of it.

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Last night was the first time I got to see Watson beside some highlight clips online. Was greatly disappointed. I don't see anything really special about him except that he's a running quarterback with accuracy issues...and those don't last long in the league. Hopefully his accuracy GREATLY increases over his career or he'll be yet another Texans QB failure.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a great outing by Watson obviously. I'm still trying to stay optimistic about his accuracy but it's clearly an issue and will continue to be one for a while. I don't buy the argument that his accuracy issues in preseason games has been because he's being conservative. He is just missing on his throws, plain and simple.

There is no need to throw him out there as a starter while Savage is playing well, which he has. It seems like people are just glossing over some of the impressive throws he has made.

deb4rockets and Mr. Clutch like this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He wasn't much better than either of those guys in college. We will see if he is better than those guys in pros.

justtxyank likes this.
  14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Tom Savage had a pretty crappy completion percentage in college where they throw all those bubble screens. He seems to have gotten a little better, but most of his passes are pretty short.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's not what I said at all. I said nobody knows he can't improve. I didn't say he will. He might. I don't like what I am seeing so far.

16. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Kizer has looked 10 times as good as Watson so far. Kizer has a big-time downfield arm, frankly better-looking than even Mahomes'.

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

How many real games have they played? Relax.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Kizer was sabotaged by his college coach coming into the draft. Brian Kelley should be ashamed of himself. Kizer might be the best QB in this draft.

Bennie Anders likes this.
  19. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Brian Kelly has *serious* psychological issues.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

Everyone needs to chill. The knee jerking is out of control. Two preseason games. I mean really guys.

Savage has looked better so far, but that is to be expected. If Watson doesn't start the first game, or if he doesn't even play the first season, it isn't a disaster. Few QB's go straight from college to starting in the NFL and do well.

I for one am excited to see what Savage can do as our starter. I think Savage can be a good QB in this league if he can stay healthy. I'm looking forward to the regular season.