1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

just different views and at this point semantics. at the end of the day Watson is the future and Savage isn't, it's just a question of when.

2. Malaya

Malaya Member

Week 1 not that important. It's who the starter is at the end of the season that matters.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's actually the starter by week 5 that matters.

Looking at a 1-3 record or below as opposed to a 2-2 record or above would definitely have A TON of fans calling for Savage to be benched. Which isn't totally unfeasible with the Bengals, Pats, and Titans following our season opener against the Jags.

4. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would prefer to bring Watson along more slowly. Too many QBs are thrust into the limelight before they are ready; particularly given our below-average O-line. Remember that we have only seen 2.5 games of Tom Savage. Watson will be there when he's ready. But once you go to Watson, it's very hard to go back to Savage.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

That is my main reservation as well. Not until hes absolutely ready.. however, whats changing with me is how Watson seems he will be ready quicker than I originally anticipated. I really think these next 2 preseason games are going to tell a lot. Im hoping we get a Russell Wilson/ Matt Flynn thing. Except instead of Savage being the high paid starter, Savage is just the incumbent about to be beat out.

6. Malaya

Malaya Member

If Savage continues to be slow in his reads in the next two games, it will be only a matter of time before he sees the bench.

But since Watson needs to develop timing with the ones as well, it won't be anytime soon. Patience

#206 Malaya, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Looks like Hop and Miller are out. Will be interesting to see which receiver steps up Saturday. Good time for Dres Anderson to show he deserves a spot on the team.

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Dres Anderson and Riley McCarron is who I'm looking at

Fulgore likes this.
  9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yes indeed. Mccarron can take a 5 yd pass and turn it into 20+. Hopefully they give him a shot at punt returner too.

10. Malaya

Malaya Member

Yes to Riley. Street and Anderson are more likely to be cut. Need to see Ellington and Hopper in our offense.

Hunt and Ervin are being used to get open in the middle of the field. Combo backs-receivers.

I don't like Rashaud Allen and Evan Bayliss.

11. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Savage has a terrific arm, but his release isn't that quick and as others have mentioned when he takes too long making his reads it becomes a disaster out there. His main advantage is supposed to be knowing the offense better so if he continues to struggle with that then it really makes no sense to start him.

Watson provides great mobility not only to run but to buy time and make big plays with his arm. There are obviously still questions about his accuracy, but most of those are overblown. It really shouldn't be that hard to call plays that suit him well. A lot of drag routes, curls, screens mixed in with play action/bootleg and the offense could be deadly.

The thing about a mobile QB is they also make the running game better. Watson will help Miller, Foreman, and others simply due to his threat of pulling a read/option. He's has to earn it, and tonight will be another stepping stone but he's the future and I'm hoping he gets the ball week 1.

Side note: anyone know what the WR depth chart is looking like right now? Tons of injuries and I'm lost with all that

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hopkins, Fuller, Miller Jaelen Strong & a bunch of guys -- Wendall Williams, Riley McCarron, Bruce Ellington, Devin Street, Chris Thompson, Dres Anderson, Justin Hardee, Marcus Leak, Germone Hopper

13. theimpossibles1

14. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will be interesting to see how each progresses. I'm honestly all for playing them both, even during the season, until one dramatically steps head and shoulders above the other. Nobody does that, but I don't see a point in just playing one to start the season. They each have different strengths, which could work to our advantage in certain situations, at least until one is hands down better than the other.

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No chemistry can be built this way. Every positional player has to adjust to the way the qb play

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Ellington is a beast man

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

The numbers are clear: Tom Savage deserves to start over Deshaun Watson.

texans1095 and red5rocket like this.
  19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree right now, even though it hurts to say it.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think Savage deserves to start.