1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#Wat] Is Virginia’s governor promoting infanticide?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

This is like Republicans whining about FBI agents having personal opinions about Trump. FBI agents are fairly smart people and are going to have opinions one way or another.

Similarly, though not all are smart, no one who reads (and moderates) D&D is going to be politically unopinionated. This isn't a paid gig.

FranchiseBlade and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wait...wut?

In all seriousness of course I have political opinions otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

If someone thinks I do something because of bias they can point it out to me. I don’t care about being criticized and if I’m wrong I’m wrong. It’s important to note that the majority of “moderator” warnings I’ve sent out have been to people harassing Bobbythegreat. I don’t think he would consider me a friend lol.

cml750, BruceAndre, vlaurelio and 3 others like this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Was the article ever posted here by the woman, from England I think, who has a child with Down syndrome that says she wishes she could go back and abort?

Cringeworthy

6. NewRoxFan

Was the interview specific to Down Syndrome, or was it possible it included more serious abnormalities? Like serious brain defect, heart defects, lung defects, and other organ defects. Our oldest was born with a serious heart defect (transposition of the great vessels) that we were blessed that she was diagnosed and corrected soon after birth... but there more serious defects that are not correctable.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

And they just keep on defending, un freakin real!

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

"Live birth"?

I am sure the 14th amendment says noting about "live birth".

"Decide for yourselves"?

I guess it's not so cut-and-dry, huh?

9. NewRoxFan

"he is describing the medical process of abortion through early induction not termination following live birth as has been suggested"

10. TheresTheDagger

Too late.

New Mexico, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Virginia, and Washington have either passed new laws expanding abortion access or are moving toward stripping old laws from the books that limit abortions.

11. Buck Turgidson

First state, first article I googled says this about NM, and I fail to see how this is in any way earth-shattering:

SANTA FE - New Mexico would repeal its anti-abortion law — one of just nine of its kind in the country — under legislation Democratic lawmakers plan to pursue in the 2019 session.

The state's criminal abortion law has been on the books for 50 years, but it's unenforceable now because of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade.

Rep. Joanne Ferrary, D-Las Cruces, said Monday that she has filed legislation for the coming session that would rescind the law, which makes it a crime for an abortion provider to end a woman's pregnancy, except in narrow circumstances.

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/ne...ation-us-supreme-court-roe-v-wade/2349580002/

Nook likes this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah and his guidelines are way more reasonable than some places.

BruceAndre likes this.
  13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Those FBI agents were very lame, borderline seditious, and to put those opinions into texts ("we're not going to let him win") should have resulted in an immediate firing.

As to the issue at hand, ok point taken, but the optics of it are fairly horrific. If I was the person that wrote these guidelines (which I liked, btw), I would not then be posting political opinions.

Think of it this way: we're at the Rockets-Mavs game. And then we hear a referee say that he wants the Mavs to win. What would you think of that?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Os Trigonum, dachuda86 and justtxyank like this.
  15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

As I think I have said elsewhere in this thread, if I have appointed myself the referee (or someone has appointed me) of a game, it looks pretty horrific for me as a ref to then come out and openly say that I favor one team or the other.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know who he is, and I don't think his opinions are relevant here. His tweet was posted, but he's not a poster so whatever.

Umbilical cord or not, aren't the parents the legal guardians making decisions on behalf of the child and can make do-not-resuscitate orders? If the kid was 10 and dying, and needed proactive intervention to prolong his life, could the parents and doctors decide not to?

I don't think that's the deal we agreed to. After that long-ass thread on moderating the D&D, I did not come away with the impression that we were going to ask any poor moderator to withhold his political opinions here because he had the misfortune of moderating. I don't see why a moderator trying to act in good faith can't be trusted to balance the two.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

You don't know who james wood is? Actor, extreme right wing and huge trump supporter? I think his political extremism is fair game when considering what he tweeted and why he tweeted, don't you?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So long as there is no bias in how he enforces the rules, I don't have a problem with him expressing his political views.....we knew his views before he was a mod, why should they be surprising or unwelcome now?

cml750 likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, it'll not come as a surprise to some folks that I really don't know who he is. Looks like he's made a lot of crappy movies. Anyway, it's fine if you're concerned about his opinions and how he might influence the public discourse with his tweets. But, his opinion has nothing to do with mine. I read an article, watched the video, considered the counterarguments, said what I thought. I didn't think your attack on James Wood's character (however legitimate) was very relevant when responding to my saying Northam's discussion was eyebrow raising. That's all.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  20. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I'd be horrified, of course.
    But the metaphor isn't very apt. An NBA ref can have a huge effect on the outcome of a game and even the following games, if a player is given a tech or thrown out.
    I suppose a mod has great power in the ability to ban people, but it is wielded quite rarely, is it not?
    If Clutchfans was a multi billion dollar company, I'd hold them to the highest standards of moderation. CF has volunteers. Clutch himself has given his own conservative views here (albeit many, many years ago.)