1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Washington Post: Obama’s secret struggle to punish Russia for Putin’s election assault

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JeffB, Jun 23, 2017.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm disappointed that Obama didn't do a lot more to punish Russia when he was in office. I'm disappointed. But, he's out of office now and Trump is in. Trump still has an array of tools before him that he can use to punish, deter, and/or incapacitate our enemy. But, he isn't saying or doing a whole lot with them. Maybe it's because he's complicit (you know, knocking out Moscow's power grid or something would throw a lot of shade on that Russian stooge theory) or maybe he's just an idiot. Maybe he's afraid. Whatever it is, I'm at least as disappointed in Trump's inaction as Obama's. He has many fewer obstacles in his way, and he still can't seem to get up the fortitude to stand up for his country.

JeffB likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe because the breadth of Russian interference in our election, and the risk that they'll continue to do so regardless of party, is more important than obsessing over leaks in this particular instance.

Do you agree with the sentiment expressed by Marco Rubio that continued inaction against Russia only emboldens them and that next time they may target Republican candidates? I certainly do and I don't usually agree with Senator Rubio, but I think he's correct on the threat posed to our system by Russia.

JeffB likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

By showing the incompetence being had at the highest level of the executive branch.

I have no problems with outsiders gaining power, but it seems like it's amateur hour with the new administration. What's most troubling is having a president brag and non-chalently give out information to other foreign governments.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All of the above?

There isn't a favor or gift Trumpkin won't reject. Emoluments are bad, and will likely haunt his admin till he leaves.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

While he's mocking the last guy for not doing anything, his own party is trying to punish Putin while taking steps to make sure Trump can't overrule them.

6. dmoneybangbang

Thats tough and a damned if you/damned if you don't. The GOP would be furious if obama said something that puts the results of the election into question.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McConnell said as much in the piece. He threatened to politicize the intelligence if the Obama administration went public.

The man is the embodiment of everything people claim they hate about politics, but keep voting in favor of.