1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiver wire thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 1, 2017.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Novak will probably be picked up soon. In week one or two after a missed FG by some kicker on some team.

2. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why are you a fan of this team? I seriously wouldn't doubt it if you were a Titans fan.

Seriously, you're the most pessimistic fan I've seen. The team has done nothing but go 28-23 over the last three seasons, including the playoffs. That's good for 12th in the league. One game behind the Colts. After this season, if you take the winning percentage of all teams in the Obrien era, there's an excellent chance we're in the top 10.

Yet, you constantly trash on the coach, the GM, the scouting, the owner, etc. I don't get it.

There are 2/3 of the fans in the league that would kill to win at the clip that we've been winning at under O'Brien and Rick Smith.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I was a lot more positive under Kubiak, who built a legit contender and amassed talent all over the field.

Teams are using 3 WR sets more than ever but we have failed miserably in building depth there.

The defense on the other hand is ahead of the curve. It's too bad things were too screwed up to keep Bouye

5. Two Sandwiches

Kubiak had a worse record than O'Brien.

His good years weren't until he had an established quarterback and was like 5-6 years into his time here. They also coincided with McNair bringing Phillips on.

I was optimistic with Kubiak. I'm moreso with O'Brien. I know, I know, his offense sucks. Blah blah blah.

The fact of the matter is that he's a proven excellent leader of men, possibly a good football coach (in my opinion he is), and he's got the best winning percentage of any coach in franchise history. Why would I trash him?

6. Mr. Clutch

Because he's a really bad offensive coach and a waster of draft picks and cap space. It'll bite us in the years to come.

His winning record is basically all due to Romeo Crennel, who is excellent, and Vrabel, now DC.

What I see happening is O'Brien will be gone after this year. Romeo will be HC with Vrabel as assistant HC until Romeo retires and Vrabel takes over.

And we hire an OC who can build a competent offense and won't get shut out in preseason

CallMeTheDream and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

If you're still hung up on us getting shutout in preseason in the midst of one of the worst natural disasters, in the history of our nation, happening in our back yard, well, that says all it needs to say about your bias towards O'Brien.

I won't even mention Romeo's triumphant successes as a head coach.

8. Mr. Clutch

I'm hung up on the offense getting worse every year despite OBrien being an offensive genius and spending tons of picks and money.

Why are you negative on Crennel? Are you sure you're a Texans fan? He built the #1 defense last year despite losing his best player

9. Two Sandwiches

Some people are better coordinators than coaches. Some would argue Gary Kubiak is an example of that.

10. Mr. Clutch

I don't think it applies to him. If Schaub didn't get hurt we have a good chance of winning the Super Bowl that year and the next. Then he goes to Denver and wins a Super Bowl as HC.

O'Brien may be better suited for QB coach. He was never given the OC job in New England, instead was "acting" OC for a year then left.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

No chance Crennel gets the job. If there's an internal hire, it will definitely be Vrabel.

red5rocket likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ive maintained my stance on Billy and Im on his side of the fence. Good qb coach, great delegator and good motivator. To all saying that hes not a good qb, just look at the improvement every qb has had since coming here sans crock assweiler.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree that's the case, he was one hell of an offensive guru, but he knew nothing about defense at all which is why he had to have Wade Phillips beside him to look good. My problem with BOB is that he has to have RAC beside him to coach the defense but he's terrible at coaching offense too. I honestly don't know what he brings to the team other than being smart enough to hire RAC and Vrabel.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Would sign him asap that would remove the pressure off Dhop.

15. ballgame

ballgame Member

Did anyone pickup the DT Hatley? I thought he played well during Pre-Season

16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I have noticed that O'Brien's teams seem to bounce back better from adversity than Kubiak's. There have been several times since he was coach (The Miami blowout for one) where I thought this team was dead in the water, but O'Brien was able to keep the team from completely falling apart and they were able to recover and make the playoffs.

I never saw that with Kubiak coached teams. They never quit on him (except in 2013) but when something bad happened, it seemed to linger with the team longer. They would go through prolonged losing streaks. I can't quantify it, but that is just my opinion from watching the team over both coaching tenures. I guess I would call it the ability to forget a bad loss and move on.

I am disappointed in O'Brien's offenses over the years. Frankly it's just not enjoyable to watch them sputter on offense.

#96 Chilly_Pete, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  17. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

He hasn't been signed to anyone's practice squad or roster from what I have seen.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

Excellent post from top to bottom. I agree with it all.

smitheygerard and macho GRANDE like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Fantasma Negro

All I was trying to say is that he would be a solid TE option...