1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vlad Jr. Get Off My Lawn

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Kemahkeith, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I know I'm going to sound like an angry old man, but I need a rant. All I hear and see these days is Vlad Jr. I'm in now way saying he is not going to be an outstanding player, but I am saturated up to my eyes with all of the hype. I collect baseball cards and his cards generally go for about 3 times that of Yordan's.
    I know it's a short sample size but check out these lines.
    Vlad Jr. AB: 249 AVG: .249 HR: 8 RBI: 25 OPS: .741
    Yordan, AB: 82 AVG: .342 HR: 7 RBI: 25 OPS: 1.141

I'm curious, if Vlad had a different last name, would he be this hyped. Just needed to vent. Carry on.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Just a suspicion, but if the lines look like this:

Vlad Jr. AB: 249 AVG: .249 HR: 8 RBI: 25 OPS: .741
    Yordan, AB: 249 AVG: .342 HR: 7 RBI: 25 OPS: 1.141

You'll start hearing Yordan's name a lot more.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that his name plays into it, but Vlad is also almost 2 years younger than Yordan.

CometsWin likes this.
  4. Fantasma Negro

I think he's going to be a very good hitter but I just don't understand is how this dude was born in Canada and raised in L.A. but needs a translator lol

Two Sandwiches and weakfromtoday like this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Uh.....what?

ETA

Granted, he was born in a country that starts with C and ends with A

ETAA

sorry...thought you were talking about Yordan

#5 bobrek, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I said the same thing yesterday. Not that I really care but seems like he’d have a solid grasp on English.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ohh...you guys are talking about Vlad..

BigM likes this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’ve been out of the card collecting hobby for decades. Do any of the Astros trade favorably? Like a nice Bregman rookie card?

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Vlad Jr. hit .400 in AA as a 19 year old and was universally agreed to be the top prospect in baseball, yes he would be extremely hyped regardless of his last name. He had far more hype coming into the season, something Yordan didn't even have around Houston, much less nationally.

If Yordan keeps playing at a superstar level he will get all the praise he deserves, not sure why it matters

10. Nook

Nook Member

Concerning the English issue.......... Vlad Guerrero Sr. was a modern day version of Joe Jackson. He came from extreme poverty and had something like a dozen siblings. He never took direction well and he never exhibited discipline. He was known as a natural and there have been some old teammates that have said they liked him and he is a good guy, but he really isn't savvy to a lot of things.

He also is really close to his extended family. So if Vlad never spoke English and his mother didn't...... and his cousins and aunts and uncles didn't then as odd as it seems, it is possible that junior doesn't really either. Plus I know that when he was younger they spent a lot of time outside of English speaking countries.

Scouting is an interesting thing. Vlad Jr. has put on a tremendous amount of weight the last 2.5 years and his body is not really all that great from a traditional standpoint. Almost anyone else would be dinged for their weight and body shape, but for the most part he has avoided that. My guess is because he grew up around the game with his Dad, his extended family has other major league players and he has been an elite prospect for many years.

I think he will be a hell of a hitter, he has really good hand eye coordination like his father and similar power. He just has some red flags defensively and conditioning wise.

CometsWin, BigM and raining threes like this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You aren't joking. I'd never seen him until the home run derby. I looked at him and he looked doughy, out of shape, and huffing and puffing. He's 20, right? Maybe it's just baby fat still, but yesh, that's a bad body for a professional athlete, he's already not good defensively, I'm selling stock in him based upon where it's at now. That's not saying I think he sucks or anything, but that's saying he doesn't like a HOF in the making to me is all.

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I just sold several Alvarez cards and there’s no way Vlad Jr is going for 3X his. Alvarez’s base Bowman chrome auto is going for over $300 right now...that’s insane and more than Vlad Jrs first Bowman auto.

Yordan has plenty of hype.

13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Yordan is by far the most expensive. Correa is probably the next. Bregman doesn’t have as big of a market as those two.

BigM likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I hope he picks up some RBIs and HRs in the process.

Seems to me that Yordan is more of a contact hitter with power. Vlad JR may be more of a Prince Fielder type guy.

I'd take Yordan and Josh Bell over Vlad JR right now. There, I said it.

15. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Base Alvarez Bowman auto 70 bucks. Raw
    Refractor Alvarez auto Bowman auto 120.00. Raw
    If razzed at ten lines you can maybe get 15 a line for the refractor.
    I'm sitting on a stock pole of Yordan Autos. That is what prompted me to start this thread.

#15 Kemahkeith, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  16. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Where are you seeing this? I just sold a 2018 Chrome Auto for $300.

Edit: Don’t want to take this thread off course but please DM me if you really see those prices somewhere.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

That body type worked for Prince Fielder.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Until it didn't. And he was a menace at the plate. But he sucked defensively. It was the difference between him being the best player in the game type and a really really really dangerous hitter for what 6 or 8 years.
    Like I said, the internet doesn't do nuance well. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm saying- Yikes dude, mix in a salad and do some conditioning and weight training. You've got MVP level skills, don't fail to fully actualize your ability.
    Side note- I'm fat. So it's not like I'm fat shaming him. But I don't compete based upon athleticism and my body isn't important to what I do. It just concerns me, that's all.

topfive likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I think professional athletes should feel obligated to be in optimum shape. But some guys are just so talented they can make it work regardless. Tony Gwynn (RIP) hit .289 as a skinny rookie, then never hit less than .309 for the next 19 years, despite being chunky by age 28 or so. Could he have been better at a lower weight? Yeah, probably. Most of all, it might have helped keep him off the injured list later in his career.

Wulaw Horn likes this.