1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Visiting an Asian Neighborhood During COVID

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 29, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm starting this as a new thread because one of my biggest concerns has been the fate of small businesses during this crisis. Small Asian businesses are especially at risk and are being pushed to the brink both by shut down of dining and stay at home orders but also because of fear and hostility targeting Asians. I know that in Houston there were calls to shun Chinese businesses such as those on Bellaire when this crisis first broke. That has happened throughout not just the US but Canada, Australia, the UK and in Europe. I fully agree that the PRC government especially the local government of Wuhan handled this badly but I will continue to say the Peoples Republic of China and especially Wuhan isn't all Chinese. It certainly isn't all Asians.

Whether people intend it or even care calls like we're seeing, even here on Clutchfans, demanding revenge on China and blaming Chinese Culture has a real affect on Asians throughout the World. There have been beatings and stabbings of Asians from people blaming them for this disease. I hear almost everyday about Asians being attacked or harassed over this. In most cases most of the victims aren't even Chinese.. Even when they are ethnically Chinese, Chinese culture isn't eating bats or torturing bears. Most people in Asia and even in the PRC find that behavior abhorrent. Remember Yao Ming spoke out against such practices. To call this "Chinese Culture" would be like saying dog fighting is "Black Culture".

Today I went to the Little Mekong Neighborhood in St. Paul. This neighborhood is primarily Southeast Asian and is made up of people who came here as refugees and have built businesses. This area of St. Paul has been one of the poorer areas of the Twin Cities but in the last 10 years has been developing thanks to the entrepreneurship of Asian businesses. I don't know what will happen and where this neighborhood will be when this crisis is over. I shot this video today and am sharing it to both illustrate the plight of businesses and neighborhoods like this but also to encourage people to frequent these businesses. This is St. Paul, Minnesota but there are several places like this in Houston, New York, Florida, and throughout the country. If we continue to believe that America is great because of immigrants building businesses and the American dream of immigrants often fleeing war to come and build a new life we need to preserve neighborhoods like this.

2. Senator

Senator Member

Why don't you get it?

Absolutely nobody cares about your little feelings when there are hundreds of thousands of dead bodies due to negligence and abusive tendencies. How many Chinese have died from these hurt feelings? None. How many have died from Corona, SARS and a host of other diseases that poor Chinese cultural practices have created from scratch? A lot.

You'll speak up about abortion, domestic violence, race related murder, but don't have the courage to say anything about this over the past few decades because of what?

Instead of finding irrelevant things to whine about, take accountability , save the human race, practice humanity if you know what it is, and put your efforts towards ending all cultural practices that promote animal abuse and virus creation. Then you have earnt the right to complain about mistreatment.

generalthade_03 and Astrodome like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont think Ive heard of any Asians in Houston being assaulted as of yet, but there are plenty of ignorant idiots in this world and it is surely bound to happen.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So the safety of Asian Americans is irrelevant to you? That Asian businesses are going under is irrelevant to you. None of those who have been beaten and harassed over this were responsible for what happened in Wuhan that said they are paying the price for the hatred that people like you find irrelevant. You're so desperate to exact your pound of flesh that apparently the innocent people who are caught up in this are just irrelevent.

As far as taking responsibility there are Chinese people like Yao Ming and Jackie Chan who have done more much more than you or anyone else Clutchfans ever will to try to end this practice. Speaking for myself as someone who's donated to organizations combating wildlife trade and who actually has negotiated with officials in the PRC I've brought up concerns regarding corruption. I've spoken out quite a bit about the problems with the PRC.

I can and will call out the PRC over their silencing of Dr. Li and denying the severity of the this disease but I'm not going to be quiet when I see innocent people harmed because some people just want to cast blame and don't care who get's hurt by it.

5. Senator

Senator Member

Your entitlement is irrelevant to me. It's a disease in itself.

If you only think the "celebrities" like Yao and Jackie are doing things because of PR stunts, then it explains your naivety. Yao is the same celebrity who was angry when Morey spoke out about HK, so we can see who is really pulling the strings. There are and will be plenty of jobs available once the Wuhan virus dies down. Everyone is taking a hit atm. This is a good time to show some humility , be grateful for the opportunities presented and change your own ways.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think most small businesses and restaurants will be screwed simply because people aren't just going out and doing IRL street VLOGs and uploading them to youtube these days. Most are sheltering in place to try to stop the spread of the current pandemic so our parents don't die. Which is one of my biggest concerns.

^^^Florence Major advocating people to hug a Chinese person after the USA shut down all travel from China.

7. Asian Sensation

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

H Mart in Chinatown Houston is stocked with toilet paper and all other goods . It’s the cleanest place with lots of regular produce as well.
    It’s my go to place now this crap is going down.

supporting the business cause they are supporting Houston and got lots of toilet paper for days

BaselineFade, sammy, LFE171 and 6 others like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think he's doing a service by showing essential businesses like these Asian grocery stores are well stocked and open for business.

10. Asian Sensation

Korean market in Chinatown? No wonder why Dave was confused. Anyways, H-mart is the bomb for all the reasons you mentioned and then some.

VanityHalfBlack and tinman like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

You said it, boss. From your mouth to gods' ears.

eta, @rocketsjudoka : did you know there's a buddhist monastery right outside of Marble Falls, Texas? When they built the 2nd thai restaurant in town, you'd see those bald guys in their flowing orange robes up on ladders, doing all the construction, it was crazy to watch, they're some of the greatest people I've ever met....and now we get awesome food. They're a huge loved part of the community, same with the Katrina refugees who came up here and started a church, and restaurant, and just kept giving back to us.

Not all rednecks are rednecks. Most of us love everyone.

#11 Buck Turgidson, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    HakeemOnlyFan, adoo, Nook and 6 others like this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pretty sure you are the one who don’t get that nobody cares about your feelings. Kept making these tantrum threads and posts and what not.

#12 Carl Herrera, Mar 30, 2020
  13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

https://www.cnn.com/2012/10/09/us/florida-roach-eating-death/index.html

Blaming every person of Asian descent for starting the virus is the same thing as looking at the Florida panhandle and then assuming that every Caucasian person has an innate desire to win a roach eating contest, present to the nearest ER with asphyxiation, and vomit roaches all over the floor before dying. If you want to generalize like that then you have to be willing to take it both ways.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude H Town , all the Asians are thrown in same boat, it’s not California where’s distinct areas for each ethnicity.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

You should assume everyone is an idiot
    Just like Clutchfans only a few chosen ones aren’t idiots

16. Buck Turgidson

'They look at me and think I'm some kind of virus': What it's like to be Asian during the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-report-fear-harassment-violence/2903745001/

This is how I go through life, and it's great advice whether there's a pandemic or not.

tinman, arkoe and daywalker02 like this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

hai brehs, I'm here for the d&d g*ngbang?

18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Unfortunately some law enforcement seem to think most people of color look alike..kind of funny and sad. Been mistaken for all shades of non-white under the sun at one point or another in my life...

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Everyday racism is pretty common, it is what it is.

It was and is what people of color had to endure.........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#19 daywalker02, Mar 30, 2020
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hopefully it's the novel nature of the virus and better and faster testing methods will reduce the stigmatizing.

I'm slowly going stir crazy from isolation so I can understand to some extent the need for people to find blame to this madness. I'm still employed and can work from home so I'm one of the lucky ones.

Once that blame or frustration changes into violence, all bets are off on forgiving. There was an article in the la times about Asians exercising their 2nd amendment rights out of fear for their homes and family. Sad. Well no one came to protect Asian businesses during the la riots, so it's not stupid either. Just realistic...

It's ironic for bigots and dead end morons looking for a scapegoat that science and the race to find a cure is not a zero sum game. The more countries work together and pool their knowledge and learnings, the more likely a quicker resolution is possible. That's probably why some people are calling it The Coronavirus in their tweets again.

I admit to avoid going to Asian markets early on because there were infections already going on and some near a university I live fairly close to. I think they'll continue to get pounded by the lack of customers until Asian customers realize their lifeline and convenience will start to dry up if they don't do something about it. As much as the Asian business community is optimistic of attracting more diverse range of customers many still remember what it was like in the 70s-80s where chinatowns were considered exotic enclaves that some people only visited on holidays when everywhere else is closed.

Unfortunately, it's just another fragment in the ongoing economic devastation happening right now. If we don't have test kits with quicker results, no one will be able to visit any kind of neighborhood for no good reason.

#20 Invisible Fan, Mar 30, 2020