1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vehicle Registration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by donkeypunch, Aug 9, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Inspections last a month.

Going back to the hypothetical- Since the vehicle was getting worked on it never needed to get inspected until it was up and running again. So, after the 6 months of installations are done, you would go get it inspected and then registered. What I want to know is, would they only give you 6 months of registry for a whole years of payment cause its getting renewed mid year.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

you have to tell them it was not being driven and sign a sworn affidavit then you can get a whole year's registration.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Assuming this is still in effect, see : https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/publ...&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=43&pt=10&ch=217&rl=28

(3) If the county tax assessor-collector or the department determines that a registrant has a valid reason for being delinquent in registration, the vehicle owner will be required to pay for 12 months' registration. Renewal will establish a new registration expiration month that will end on the last day of the eleventh month following the month of registration renewal.

(6) Evidence of a valid reason may include receipts, passport dates, and military orders. Valid reasons may include:

(A) extensive repairs on the vehicle;

(B) the person was out of the country;

(C) the vehicle is used only for seasonal use;

(D) military orders;

(E) storage of the vehicle;

(F) a medical condition such as an extended hospital stay; and

(G) any other reason submitted with evidence that the county tax assessor-collector or the department determines is valid.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Things are bigger yet smaller and more moderner. It’s computers.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

POLK HIGH >>>>

[​IMG]

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just an update and PSA for those that haven't heard, but you apparently have until April to get that inspection/registration done :

https://www.txdmv.gov/covid-19

Update: December 15, 2020

The Temporary Waiver of Vehicle Title & Registration Requirements Ends April 14, 2021

If you’re overdue, it’s time to renew! The temporary waiver of certain vehicle title and registration requirements, announced by Governor Greg Abbott on March 16, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will end on April 14, 2021.

If you have not renewed your expired vehicle registration, you should make plans to renew by that date. It is not necessary to wait until the deadline to complete any overdue transactions as motorists have several renewal options.

Three ways to renew your vehicle registration:

1. Visit www.TxDMV.gov/register or www.Texas.gov. This is the quickest and least expensive way to renew. Save $1 if you renew online. Online renewal is available up to nine months past your registration expiration date.
    2. Mail: Return the bottom portion of your registration renewal form, payment and other required information to your county tax assessor-collector.
    3. In Person: Visit the office of your county tax assessor-collector. In many counties, in-person renewal is also available at other locations, such as certain grocery stores. Contact your county tax office to check hours and locations.

Reminder: Before renewing registration, Texans will need to obtain a passing vehicle inspection at the state vehicle inspection station of their choice, unless their vehicle is exempt from inspection requirements.

The expiring temporary waiver covers the following services:

• Initial vehicle registration.
    • Vehicle registration renewal.
    • Vehicle titling.
    • Renewal of permanent disabled parking placards
    • 30-day temporary permits.

The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles does not issue driver licenses or state ID cards. Texans should contact the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) at www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/ for these services.

arkoe and Xerobull like this.
  7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Do we have to pay for the previous inspection/registration year we skipped due to Covid...as well as the inspection/registration year going forward when we renew, i.e. pay double? It seems like we should only be paying for the inspection/renewal to cover going forward. I would think the inspection would only be paid for once but we may be on the hook for a double-up on the registration renewal for past year and current year? I dunno. For those that did pay last year, they would get ripped off if the rest of us didn't pay for the past year. But, oh well to them. Bad luck. So, which is it?

8. Buck Turgidson

No.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

yes.

If you were late for renewal....this year, they still only game you a sticker for your original month. So, If you went a year without renewing....the State of Texas is going to get their money.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/governor-abbott-extends-online-vehicle-registration-renewal-date

The governor’s order telling law enforcement not to ticket those with an expired registration still stands. However, officials say be aware that the governor did not provide a waiver on sticker expiration dates. For instance, drivers with a June 2020 expiration date who renew this month will receive a new sticker that expires in June 2021.

“Being able to drive your vehicle past the sticker expiration date does not save you money,” said Bruce Elfant, the Travis County tax assessor-collector, in a news release. “If you are driving with an overdue sticker, please get your inspection and renew your vehicle registration at Texas.gov.”

Those with registration expired by more than nine-months will need to make a tax office appointment at www.TravisCountyTax.org. Be aware it can take more than 60 days to find an open appointment slot and no one is admitted into the tax office without a mask.

Article out of Austin, would assume all of that is applicable outside of Travis county though.

11. Buck Turgidson

Huh.

That never was the case in the past....you could take a vehicle that hadn't been registered in years, and they don't make you pay for all the past years.

eta: and he did say "due to covid" and I don't know **** about that.

12. Surfguy

This sounds like a bunch of bullsh_t to me. It sounds like I will have to get two inspections within a few months of each other and pay for two registration stickers. My sticker is for May and it says the temporary waiver ends April 14th. So, if I wait a few weeks until May, then they will have no choice but to give me a sticker that expires May 2022 and charge me only once. But, then I have to make some f-ing appointment with a 60 day wait to...what...explain myself...before I can get my registration approved? WTF? FU, TEXAS!

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

May be different if it hasn't been registered for years vs a year or less, but not sure either.

Mine's expired in July, so guess I need to go do it in the next couple months unless I want to have to also go to the tax office.

14. Buck Turgidson

Absolutely not.

15. Surfguy

It was mentioned they are only good for 30 days.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Not legal advice.... But just use a few keywords words and you'll get out paying once.

#36 CCity Zero, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Correct, I've done it a lot... Either due to a car I finally got around to fixing/restoring or other reasons. I'm doing it for sure on my truck and if everyone wants to pay twice - enjoy

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

If you need help coming up with a plan let me know.... But I'm not paying 2x, like you literally could say you weren't driving it due to pandemic. They're not going to come after you for this. I've had cars under the new rules and old rules - I pay once. And I'm talking stuff that's years over

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

They're basically trying to force people into paying 2x and if you're seriously worried about paying b2b - go on their site and get a temp tag I can't remember the price but I've even done that for a car that was 16 months out... I only paid the 1 time. But again... I have reasons for this - so it might be harder to do, I also don't know what the 60.day nonsense is, I mean if it's packed still then I could see issues but I don't think you'll have an issue here. If they're going to play games, I'll just post date day tags... Not serious but this is asinine