1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vehicle Registration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by donkeypunch, Aug 9, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So I recently got my vehicle registered for the year and it kind of pisses me off that kind of ripped me off. The vehicle was 2 months out of date and went out of date on the 6th month of June. When I went in to get it registered, I figured I would be getting a full year from this August to next years. Lo and behold they give me a dam sticker for July of next year.

What kind of bs is that? Shouldnt I get a full year if Im paying for a full year? What if somebody registers their recreational vehicle theyve been working on in the 11th month of registration and go pay the full amount for one ****ing month? What the hell is going on here? Anybody else?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

yeah thats the policy. If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere. Oh wait........

Sajan likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Just another example of the man trying to keep a brotha down.

4. Buck Turgidson

Unless I'm missing something this seems pretty self-explanatory.

BigM, Sajan and DonkeyMagic like this.
  5. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Should've waited another month. jk

6. donkeypunch

Hypothetically speaking- if your vehicle is out of commission getting a motor built and put in it and it takes half a year to get it done, you wouldnt be mad that you paid for a full years registration and only got 6?

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I waited til June to get my daughter's done (March exp.). She away at School. I'm driving around with an expired May sticker...even been stopped by the Po Po for running a stop sign. Until Abbott ends the waiver, I don't know if I'm going to get the inspection and pay for the sticker....lol.

BTW....y'all did know there has been a waiver since late March because of COVID?
    The offices were closed for 2 months. However, people are still working from home. Many of TXDMV services are appointment only...still.

https://www.txdmv.gov/covid-19

#7 Mr.Scarface, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

don't renew it. just tell the cop you have covid when they pull you over. they will run away without even giving you a warning.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lol. Everyone knows Bill Gates put tracking devices in inspection stickers.

Invisible Fan and Sajan like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think they ask you if the car has been driven in the car has been off the road scenario.

My sticker expired in May but haven't been in to get the inspection done. Last thing I need is some dude driving my car for inspection and killing me with the Wuhan.

ElPigto and Surfguy like this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did you drive it during those 2 months?

13. donkeypunch

No. It was a secondary vehicle. Why would it matter anyway? If one were to run the risk of driving with an expired tag, they're liable to get a ticket. They make money off those fines, why the hell won't they give you a full years registration on the day of the renewal?

14. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Texas does not require registration for non-operational vehicles if it's parked on private property and have not been driven on public roads.

You should be able to go to the DMV in person to register the car with starting date of this month by telling them that the vehicle was non operational for the previous months. I don't know why online renewal doesn't ask you that question though it's probably to deter people from lying.

donkeypunch likes this.
  15. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I got my inspection done last week at

Stickerstop Express
    3603 S Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77098

They're not getting inside the vehicle to the inspection. They have the owners drive into the bay then do the honking and lights inspection. Then they hook up the emissions device outside the vehicle. I think they do open the door to plug into the car computer OBD2 port but they never drive the vehicle.

The waiting room is not big though. So you'd have to wait outside if don't want to be in the enclosed space other customers and employees.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I thought these were put on hold due to COVID.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Considering the Texas laws are set up to register yearly it is what it is. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you waited a year. Would they make you pay two years?

Anyway, next time you aren't going to drive for two months while your car is awaiting registration, you should go here.... unregister... and then re-register when ready to start driving again...

https://www.txdmv.gov/how-do-i-dealers/close-license

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I had moved and didn’t have my renewal form so I I got my van inspected and went to the Travis county tax assessor’s office via an appointment.

Best experience ever. Didn’t have to wait in a waiting room with hundreds of people and I was in and out in 5 minutes. People in the drive through were waiting in a line 30 cars long at least.

Usually they ask you if you’ve driven a car past the inspection, if you say yes you have to pay for the past months. If you say no you can sign an affidavit and you should get a new sticker that is the current month.​

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's been mentioned, but for anyone wondering, you don't have to renew your inspection sticker/get an inspection done even if your sticker has expired (until the following gets changed) :

From the https://www.txdmv.gov/covid-19 FAQs section (these are just a few bullet-points I pulled out -- there are others) :

My registration is expired, what should I do?
    • The Governor issued a waiver from the requirement to renew registration. The waiver was issued to avoid having large crowds in the county tax assessor collector offices. You may choose to take no action during the waiver period. If you take no action, you will have 60 days from the date the department announces that normal operations have resumed to have your vehicle inspected and complete the registration process. To receive email notification of this announcement, please subscribe to our mailing list at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/TXDMV/subscriber/new?topic_id=TXDMV_290.
    • If you have already obtained a passing vehicle inspection, you may renew your registration online at https://renew.txdmv.gov/.

My vehicle is due for an inspection, what should I do?
    • The Governor issued a waiver from the requirement to renew registration. The waiver was issued to avoid having crowds in public spaces. You will have 60 days from the date the department announces that normal operations have resumed to have your vehicle inspected and complete the registration process. To receive email notification of this announcement, please subscribe to our mailing list at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/TXDMV/subscriber/new?topic_id=TXDMV_290.
    I bought a vehicle and need to transfer title, and/or apply for initial registration. What do I do?
    • The Governor issued a waiver for the requirement to apply for title within a specified timeframe and the associated delinquent transfer penalty to avoid having large crowds in the county tax assessor-collector offices. No action is required during the waiver period. If you take no action, you will have 60 days from the date the department announces that normal operations have resumed to complete the titling process without penalty. No penalties will be assessed for the period associated with the waiver. To receive email notification of this announcement, please subscribe to our mailing list at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/TXDMV/subscriber/new?topic_id=TXDMV_290.

Surfguy and arkoe like this.
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wouldn't you need to get reinspected? Doesn't inspection only last for 3 months in terms of getting the sticker for it?

My memory might be failing me but I think I read that somewhere while I looking up info on how to transfer a title.