1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

How is USC even ranked?

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s go!!

3. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Yeah that's targeting

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes.. and the Horns brand as well.. football at least.

Only ONE Title in a looong while, including a very subpar recent history.

Hope this win is a precursor of good things.

tinman likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Shhhh haters
    Shhhh

6. TheresTheDagger

Just checking in to see how the UT folks are doing. Congrats on the win. Man...USC really sucks eh?

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I’m as happy as the next guy over the win but let’s not go acting like that’s a good USC team at the moment.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Finally got a chance to watch the game and it wasn’t as pretty as I thought it would be. Ehlinger did a nice job running the ball but his accuracy and decision making is just not there yet. Should’ve been a safety and a pick 6 nearing FG range at end of the first half. Those are potential turnovers that just can’t happen. Also missed Duvernay twice for TDs. That being said, he had some really nice throws on 3rd down throughout the game and kept his poise.

TCU will be an extremely tough game coming off their loss to OSU.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

i can't believe you thought the game was going to be pretty.

yeah, wide receivers have to make spectacular catches because Sam is inaccurate

raining threes likes this.
  11. gucci888

Meant it wasn't as pretty as the final score and recaps indicated. Was out of the country so had to watch on dvr few days late. Honestly had no idea how the game was gonna go beforehand.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Offense line and defensive line looked good
    No turnovers for Sam even though they should have called a safety

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Effort level was much higher than the last few games.
    Need the same for next week. TCU has a mobile QB.

14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I was at the game and had fun. It's nice to beat a power 5 school that should end up being top 50 by the end of the season (but we'll see). But there were plenty of issues, namely:
    1. Sam regularly makes bad decisions - holding the ball too long and taking a sack, scrambling when he should have thrown it, etc. He's inaccurate. He did make some nice throws to convert third downs.
    2. The DEs and OLBs are bad. Hager, Roach (formerly), Omenihu, etc. get almost zero pressure on the QB and regularly get beaten on outside runs and on pass coverage. Put the underclassmen in. At least Nelson and Johnson are very good up the middle for the most part.
    3. Our punting team sucks. Bujcevski takes forever to punt, and we don't block for him.
    4. Sterns & Foster continue to look good, and Boyd shows flashes. The other DBs regularly get beaten, and PJ Locke is garbage. Jones mixes good run defense with questionable decisions in pass coverage.
    Gary Patterson tirelessly gameplans to exploit every weakness. Some of this stuff will have to be better on Saturday if we want to win.

gucci888 and Bob Barker 007 like this.
  15. Bob Barker 007

I feel comfortable with

[​IMG]

in the secondary

If Sterns and Foster become All-Americans in the next two years, your mattress is free! Free!! FREE!!!

#10935 Bob Barker 007, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  16. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Hager should only be a situational pass rusher. He struggles with contain. He has a little speed off the edge and ok bend, but not a fluid athlete. Omenihu is solid, but nothing special. I would like to see Taquon Graham and Marquez Bimage get some time. I know the frosh Ossai made a tackle which is awesome! I think Overshown will return and get some pass rush looks as well.

Bottom line, we have to get pressure on Robinson for TCU. He's not an accurate QB, especially under pressure (from what I hear-can't watch two games at once :) We will definitely need some takeaways to pull off a win.

I think our O-line is playing better and better. We wore USC down and those are all 3-5 star guys on that Dline. I think Herb Hand has been Herb Huge for us. Shackleford can sit his fragile ass on the bench. Rodriguez was ok at C?? Cosmi is the strongest player on the team and should be our RT, despite false starts. I want more Danny Young!! I know that fumble sucked, but he gets north south and breaks tackles like a mini Earl.

gucci888 and Bob Barker 007 like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

They have no speed/playmakers off the edge. You can only scheme so much.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  18. Bob Barker 007

I agree with most of what you said here, but Robinson was decent against blitzes from the Ohio State defense. We need to get TCU to 3rd and long and see what happens if we can keep Robinson in the pocket. When we do decide to blitz, guys like Wheeler will have to make a lot of one-on-one tackles. Wheeler was great at that against USC, but TCU has the skill players to burn us if we are not careful. On offense, we will need to use power runs to overcome TCU's smaller, quicker defenders. A good helping of Ehlinger and Daniel Young might work.

Hustle Town likes this.
  19. gucci888

Ya we really haven't seen the production from guys like Hager, Omenihu and Roach. It's a lot to ask of them but hoping we can get some plus play from Ayodele and Overshown like we've seen from Sterns and Foster. Thinking that'll open up some different things for Orlando. I know we were hearing good things from camp on those guys and fellow freshman Ossai.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member