1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Buck Turgidson

Have you not watched them the past 2 years? The guy is legit, you could have a punter and never have to worry about it for 15 years or so.

But so was Fat Randy.

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

3. Buck Turgidson

I don't get it.

4. Hustle Town

5. Buck Turgidson

Gotcha.

Kinda douchey (same goes for Lock's little prance-dance), but not sure that's a big deal, or any sized deal. Let 'em have fun.

Hustle Town likes this.
  6. Hustle Town

Exactly. And the players/recruits liked that Herman did it a lot.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Just my opinion but get the feeling that wouldn't be as important to Herman as much as offensive philosophy and development (and recruiting obviously). All things I think Helrich could help improve immediately. It's still Herman's offense so if he thinks Helrich can execute it, not sure he'd rule him out because he didn't call plays at UO. Should be noted that I believe he called plays at Colorado so it's not like he has never done it.

Interestingly enough there are quite a few signs that point to a shakeup on the offensive side of the ball, including a possible change at OC. First Herman moved Mehringer into the booth with Beck midway through the season. Second (and more telling) Herman admits that he first thought the 10th assistant would be on the defensive side to even out the staff but said it could be offense now. This is somewhat big because there isn't really room to add on that side without other making other personnel changes. Third, I haven't gone back to watch it but apparently Herman was holding a playsheet during the first few and last few series of the game, which leads some people to think he has either calling or much more involved with the playcalling. Dont believe he had held a playsheet all season.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No, I really haven't watched them. The bowl game was the most I've seen of them in a few years.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wonder where he will get drafted. What pick do you give up to get the best punter in the NFL? Someone that can give you 50 extra yards a game in field position vs other players at his position.

10. gucci888

I think somewhere in the 5th is a safe bet. Personally think he could go higher though, best college punter I've seen.

11. Major

Major Member

Seems about right, though realistically, he probably impacts a team's winning by more than your average 3rd or 4th round draft pick ever would. Possibly even a lot of 1st or 2nds.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hell, if history is any indicator, Tampa may use their first round pick on him!

13. Major

Major Member

If I were a bad team, I'd seriously considering using a 2nd or 3rd rounder on him if I thought I had any chance he'd get picked before my next pick.

1. If he lives up to billing, you can probably keep him for 15 years, which is great value for a pick and would pay off whenever you finally get good (and they are cheap, so you don't really risk a financial issue to keep him)
    2. Since you're bad, you punt a lot, so you get more use out of him
    3. If you punt 8-10 times a game, he probably gets you 100 yards in field position per game more than your average punter. Plus, his ability to pin balls inside the 10 means a lot of conservative playcalling and wasted series for your opponents.

I'm assuming there's not really any type of issues translating from punting in college to the NFL, which puts his risk level at virtually zero.

14. gucci888

Some more internet rumblings that Texas has spoken to Helfrich about joining the staff. Could be folks regurgitating the same information but something new this morning was current WR coach Drew Mehringer has spoken to Major about UH's OC opening.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is it better for UT if OU loses today?

16. Buck Turgidson

No bearing at all.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

From what I saw a lot of the top Texas recruits next year are high on OU. Them losing tonight would seem to be better for UT being able to covince them. Especially after just getting the heisman also.

18. Buck Turgidson

Meh, maybe a little bearing.

If it was that important, UT wouldn't have had the recruiting class they did this year.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

OU wasn’t a national Champion. It’s absolutely in UT’s best interest for OU to lose tonight.

20. Buck Turgidson

Here's you homework, just for sh!ts and giggles and because I really don't care: what are the (very scientific) recruiting rankings of OU and UT the year (or 2) after either team reaches the National Championship Game? Or wins it, whatever you want your criteria to be.