1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What is it with Texas and suck-ass former Nebraska OC's? Beck is a Shawn Watson Disciple and we hired his ass.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Big Dickson is our best player.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Hopefully UT will head up as Alabama heads down.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'll take a win anyway I can get it. A lot of negative press with the Tech loss and attrition yet these kids came out ready to play. The defense was stout once again and Dickson is such a huge weapon. The offensive playcalling was bad as usual which I hope stears Herman in making a change.

Overall another disappointing season but I'll take a $hitty bowl win over nothing.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

@The Cat You wanted Texas, and you got us. Enjoy the offseason. S-E-C. S-E-C. S-E-C.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

A win is a win and this program needed this one terribly.

Not great, but I thought the play calling was improved compared to the regular season. On some third downs I remember, Jerrod Heard had a drop he could have caught, Lorenzo Joe dropped one (little difficult), that illegal formation penalty on a play where we had converted hurt, Colin Johnson could have had a big play but couldn't control it through falling. These plays would have sustained drives and given us the rhythm we were searching for all night. A microcosm of our entire season if you will, haha.

The screen pass to Foreman when Mizzou was playing far back for some reason was a nice play. They could have stuck to the run more in the second half, but hey a lot of OC's do that for some reason. I remember a sweep play to the left where Kyle Porter had a bunch of room just up field of him, but kept running to the sideline for no gain. Katy...lol. I am glad Young got the majority of carries.

On the other hand, there were some third and shorts where a QB option run was an obvious play call and the play inevitably got blown up every time. Those were frustrating. Elijah Rodriguez looked like he was getting beat pretty much all night. SMH

I'm not sure what will happen to Beck, but regardless I think the O will improve next year due to better O-line play and more consistency from the QB position (hopefully Ehlinger). Anybody know if Toneil Carter is still possibly transferring? Carter and Young are a good 1-2 punch and then the frosh Ingram to mix it up.

Brando2101 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. gucci888

Ya Rodriguez struggled but guess we should've expected that somewhat given how much time he missed. A big problem has been the interior with guys blowing up plays from the start.

As far as Beck, we still have zero identity on offense. The OL is a big reason why but the playcalling is almost like throwing $hit against the wall and seeing what sticks. I'm fine with Herman keeping Beck on staff as I don't expect him to fire him after 1 season, but he's got to get better playcalling from upstairs.

I think Carter is a transfer candidate, just too much smoke surrounding that. But I'm fine with that if so, Young has played well and Ingram could have an immediate impact.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No regrets on that... we honestly would have probably lost to Kansas last night. Not as if playing another team instead of Texas would have given us a better shot. Just an embarrassing showing reminiscent of the 35-3 home loss to Purdue in September. Awful playcalling from a first-time OC, poor game management from Odom, and a complete lack of discipline from most of the players. They've mentioned the departures of the OC and OL coaches, and Odom as a first-time bowl coach, but whatever... excuses are excuses, and I'm sick of it at this point.

Congrats and enjoy the win.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think Beck stays for at least another year. UT is still recruiting offensive players well despite the struggles and I don't think it sends a great message to potential OCs to fire your guy after just 1 year. I think there are a lot of OCs who might sympathize with Beck given he had so many injuries to the O-Line and two inexperienced QBs who both had issues staying healthy. You had shane who struggled dealing with a collapsing pocket and Sam who struggled with holding on to the ball and with accuracy. I can't begin to count how many of his passes were caught out of bounds.

Everyone can play the "what if" game but it's worth noting that Texas could have beat USC if not for Sam's fumble. Could have won with a TD or kept OT going with a FG against Ok St if not for Sam's INT. Could have beat against Tech if not for Sam's 1st INT to setup a short TT TD or Sam's 2nd INT on the drive to win the game. I don't remember all of those interceptions but there were at least two that were just bone head horrible decisions that is typical for a freshman QB. That being said, Texas was mostly in those games because of their defense.

I'm not saying I believe in Tim Beck. I'm just saying that I think a lot of coaches could see those factors playing into why the offense struggled with yardage and I also don't think it looks good that Texas goes through offensive coordinators like Hogwarts goes through defense against the dark arts teachers.

Keeping him could you in a difficult situation next year because I think Orlando is going to put together a good defense next year even given the new faces and will be a hot candidate for power 5 coaching vacancies. It would suck to have to replace both coordinators next season if Beck doesn't work out but we'll see.

Yea, I think it's hard to evaluate Rodriguez at all from last night. It's not only from rust after missing the year but also that he hasn't worked with these guys at all. The constant shuffling of linemen is a problem in itself.

I think you need to go into the spring with a clean slate for the linemen. The only guy that I think has shown consistency is Kerstetter as crazy as that sounds. Hopefully Hudson comes back from injury and can live up to his potential but he hasn't really wowed anyone to this point.

I don't know if I've seen any reporters mention him by name but he seems to come up a lot on message boards. Who knows. I think it's safe to say the Duvernays are gone. I have no idea what happened to Devin Duvernay this year but he just fell off the face of the earth.

#10511 Brando2101, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Rumors starting to swirl that Mark Helfrich is being considered to replace Beck as OC.

13. Brando2101

It looks like it’s being reported by staff at Oregon 247. People are saying he didn’t call plays at Oregon while OC so I’m not sure why you would hire him unless it was just to coach QBs.

Bobby Burton at Horns 247 said this about it: “I was just told by an agent that he was "in play" for Texas. I have nothing beyond that, specifically which side is really pushing that angle.”

#10513 Brando2101, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  14. gucci888

Ya don't think Herman will fire Beck, especially after the comments he has made regarding the staff. With that said, I think he could (and should) make a change at OC with the 10th assistant addition.

Duvernay's skill set was just a bad fit for this personnel. He is a straight line speed guy like Burt, but the offense just isn't built for the deep ball. I hope this win tempers some of the attrition rumors.

15. gucci888

I'll gladly take my chances with Helfrich if the alternative is Beck.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where did these rumors start from?
    The only rumor is that he might join Chip Kelly again

17. Brando2101

I think Herman has said that the biggest priority for the 10th staff member will be on the road recruiting but who knows. If you think you have a chance to use that position to better yourself with a new OC then I guess you have to pursue it. If they go that route and demote Beck then he better be one hell of a QB coach. Maybe it would be better to have a QB coach that is on the field with your QBs and not upstairs in the box calling plays.

I'm not sure the win will help attrition but I think it will decently help your push for the 2nd national signing day. It's also nice to get a win for the kids that signed early. It's like a reward for the faith they showed.

In terms of recruits, it was disappointing that the east Texas RB Ingram didn't sign early but it looks like a big reason why is because his school is holding a big signing day event in February and he wanted to be a part of it with a couple of his other teammates. It's something the school is taking seriously because they just won the state championship. That being said, you just never know and it's possible that a new offer from Arkansas could lead him to an official visit.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the kid as I would be about Coburn (the Nose Tackle from Westfield.) He doesn't have any visits planned yet but he will definitely head to college station sometime before February. Texas has to keep this kid. Texas doesn't currently have a solution for backup NT next year. It was great to see Pooma Ford recognized by the big 12 for his play this year but I don't think he comes up when a lot of fans talk about UT's defense. He is why Orlando can get away with so many nickel and dime packages. Texas has to keep Coburn.

Texas offered a 4 star S/RB from Waxachie named Demani Richardson and they seem to be a very early favorite to sign him. Via 247: Richardson has yet to become a household name, but his raw potential could make him a top prospect in the state by the time he signs. A four-star prospect, Richardson currently holds offers from Georgia, Missouri and Baylor. At 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, Richardson is ranked as the No. 6 safety in the nation and No. 15 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite. Strengths: Richardson has a great build with good bulk and nice length. He’s an explosive athlete with great closing speed, and violent hitting ability. He’s a very physical player, and he’s at his best coming downhill where he lays punishing blows on the ball carrier. Richardson plays with strong instincts which allow him to read routes and break on passes, and he shows great ball skills. He shows impressive athleticism, and his range in the deep middle is impressive. He shows good straight-line speed, and he also plays receiver and running back on offense. He’s more raw than most, but his athletic ability and frame projection give him a very high ceiling at the collegiate level. Areas for improvement: Richardson will need to improve on his flexibility, as he looks a bit stiff in coverage. He’s also a raw prospect who will need to work to improve his technique and footwork.

Texas also offered a really talented WR out of Louisiana but I have no idea if they are on his radar.

A staff member at 247 Sports: Oregon. A staff member from UT's 247 staff independently reported that an agent told him that there is interest but he didn't know which party was interested.

18. gucci888

Don't think he would necessarily have to take over as QB coach if hired. This would be like the Clemson model where their QB coach is not an OC, that title is actually split between their RB and WR coaches. That would allow Beck to stay with his QBs on the field while keeping your playcaller in the box.

But believe Helfrich was also known as being a very good QB coach although the system was probably very helpful.

19. Brando2101

Oh I'm sure he was a good QB coach but if he wasn't calling the plays at Oregon then I don't know why Herman would bring him in to call plays at Texas.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just here to say that I was highly impressed by the UT punter. When I heard he was leaving early, I thought that was just freakin crazy. What punter leaves school early for the draft? But that dude is a freaking weapon. I'd say goodbye to Shane Lechler in a heartbeat and would not be disappointed if the Texans drafted him (after some OL and DB help).