1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I did not say there was a huge need for receivers. I said the exact opposite. However, I'm still convinced tight end is still a major issue and we need to find more commitments there.

The defensive line will be a combination of Roach, Taquon Graham, and Chris Nelson. Depth is lacking, though I do think we are in the running for a few recruits, like Coutre Alexander, Moro Ojomo, and possibly Joseph Ossai. At linebacker, the staff will go after DaShaun White, who has yet to sign with Texas A&M. I think the biggest needs for National Signing Day are defensive line, offensive line, linebacker, and slot receiver. Get 5-6 more players at those positions, and this is as good of a class as we could get.[/QUOTE]

It's great to have Nelson, Roach and Hager back. Graham only had 4 tackles last year and Wilbon 2 so I'm not sure you want to really depend on them but it's certainly possible they develop with more playing time but that's where your depth ends. The only other guy on the depth chart is a soon to be senior who only had 1 tackle last year and a freshman who didn't play last year. That is questionable talent on your starting line and the worst depth on the team. These kids seem good but the D-line seems to be more hit or miss. We thought our 2016 DL class would set us up well but Elliott, Daniels, Southall, and Christmas are out of the program and Fitzgerald hasn't seen the field. We are an injury or two away from a defensive line that will have the same problems as last years offensive line.

It would be awesome if we could pick up Ossai but I would be happy with the other guys.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I get the feeling that Herman's "1 or 2" defensive lineman talk is more of a ploy to apply some pressure on the remaining targets. Ossai, Alexander and Vernon Jackson are all takes at DE IMO as well as Coburn and Ojomo at DT. Furthermore, he also said he wanted 8-9 more kids so including Coburn and Ingram, that's 7 more spots to fill. We know he wants a slot WR, a speedy back and sure he'd take another JUCO OL. That would leave 4 remaining spots at a minimum if he fills those positions.

Also, believe Christmas is still with the team I believe but would have to think he is a transfer candidate. Fitzgerald was injured for most of the season but remember being pretty high on him. Another note is that apparently Reggie Hemphill-Mapps is a transfer candidate, something about being homesick.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. Brando2101

Yea, there is a lot of time left and a lot can happen between now and february.

Here is a blog post from 247's Jeff Howe about how he feels about the D-Line situation and I agree. This is just some dude's opinion but I think he makes good points.
    This would be really really disappointing. I guess he would try to transfer to UH. I'm not sure if that would be a problem since it's in state but a different conference.

4. Buck Turgidson

Just thought: is Thompson the son or relative of Switzer OU QB Charles Thompson who was on the cover of SI in handcuffs. I *know* that guy turned his life around, and it's a great story, but I'm curious. Not that it means anything at all in the big picture.

5. gucci888

Yes he is.

6. Buck Turgidson

Son? Nephew?

7. gucci888

Best of luck to Dickson. Can never advocate drafting a kicker but whoever gets him is getting a weapon. Guy was nails.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. gucci888

Son. I do wonder if that had anything to do with OU not putting the full court press on him.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Looking out for Soonerfan, media pressure and general BS, I'd imagine. I wonder if his dad has feelings about OU?

But then he goes to UT (not across the country). I love it.

10. gucci888

Ya Thompson might be one of the more underrated players in the class. For what Herman seemingly wants at QB, Thompson might be the best fit out of the 4 that will be on the roster. With that said, hope we can redshirt both him and Rising.

11. Brando2101

EJ Holland:

Early Signing Day over, but there are still some major targets left on the board.

Here is a look at where the Longhorns stand with prospects still on the market heading into the late period.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Brando2101

Texas D-lineman Chris Nelson to miss Texas Bowl with injury

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's officially over now right? We have the 3rd overall ranked recruiting class. Anyone have the list or a link for all 21 commitments?

15. Brando2101

Texas kicker commit Cameron Dicker

#10495 Brando2101, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Clearly not 59...

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we get some recruits next year who don't get suspended??

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

400 yards punting
    Michael Dickson plus Tim Beck

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good game from the defense. Michael Dickson is a fantastic punter. Offensive play calling was poor again.

Hope some of y'all were able to make it to the game tonight.

tinman likes this.
  20. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

michael dickson player of the game