1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is inexcusable, maybe Ehlinger is too stupid to play QB at this level. That was one of the dumbest throws of all time.

DD

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No words for that play

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What in the world was that? I don't care if Ehlinger is a freshman. That was unbelievable.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Shane would have not made that pass.

OKC figured out that our offense plan was just run the QB .
    They stopped that .

Offense has gotten worse every game.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

6. Bob Barker 007

I am not going to defend Ehlinger on that play; that was a horrendous decision and throw. However, Tim Beck has called that roll out play to the side opposite the QB's throwing arm 30 times this season, and it has worked maybe 3 times out of the 30 attempts. It's like there's no such thing as a simple, effective play in Beck's playbook. If we run it and get close to the first down, we could consider going for it.

tinman likes this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Want to say it's just a freshman mistake but you got to call a TO and make sure the one thing that cannot happen doesn't happen.

But Herman needs to take over playcalling duties if he wants to salvage this season. The OL isn't getting significantly better anytime soon so need creativity to get the ball moving and Beck isn't getting it done. Your offense can't score 34 points combined against OU and OkSt. and expect to win.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Yet another heart-breaking loss. The offense needs some serious injection of life. Literally none of their plays work.

The problem is, Ehlinger can't be your best runner. If that is really the plan, then Jerrod Heard should be at QB.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Shane start.
    We're in danger of not making a bowl game again.
    Tim Beck needs to step up like NOW.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Texas defense is really good. Just need a QB(in which you have as the backup) who can close the door.

I never understood why the current QB is starting after watching the USC game. Can any Texas fans educate me on why the current QB is starting over the freshman.

11. gucci888

Shane doesn't pick up the blitz well which worries me behind this OL. They are getting beat regularly by 4 and even 3 man fronts which basically completely opens up the defensive playbook.

One thing Sam was doing well early on was passing up the middle. All of the sudden everything is roll outs and guys trying to make circus passes on the sideline.

12. gucci888

Ehlinger is a much better runner which is a key part in Herman's offense. But yes if you want to start a true freshman, you're gonna have to deal with true freshman mistakes.

#10152 gucci888, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think Ehlinger meant to float that pass towards the back corner but came up short. Our WR was scrambling towards that corner and Ehlinger didn't put enough on that ball to get there and give our WR time to make it to that spot. It was a bad throw and a bad play, he should've thrown it away. He tried to make something happen after OKState sniffed out the play.

Our offense starts with the O-line. They can't pass protect or run block for crap. Ehlinger has no time to make a play and our RBs can never get past the front 4 of the defense. WR screen passes don't work and Ehlinger isn't patient enough to draw the defense in to run a RB screen, rather he throws too early. We need to run more motion plays and misdirection to account for the poor line.

We have come up short against so many of these tough teams. USC, OU, and Ok State. The players have played tough and deserve credit for that, but we need a win for morale.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Uncreative play calling.
    Moral Victories.
    Beating the spread.

Herman needs to change it up. The Baylor game should not count for offensive progress.

TCU is our last hope for a 'signature' win.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://twitter.com/DayDay409

Looks like our 5 1/2 million dollar Coach is OVERRATED! Offense is still HORRIBLE and MORAL VICTORIES DON'T COUNT!!!

I'll take ALL the darts you throw at me! The record speaks for itself! Could've kept Charlie for this! Truth hurts I know!

Saying I'm hurting my son with my tweets! Have y'all actually WATCHED the last 3 games? He doesnt like my son! He won't PLAY him regardless

Y'all can let Herman sell yall this REBUILDING crap! Talent is there on Offense and Defense! He refuse to USE ALL TALENT and its showing!

Dude Texas fans don't pay my bills or make me MONEY! So I care less what people think!

All you HERMAN APOLOGIST don't like me for being HONEST! Offense is HORRIBLE! Defense is LEGIT and practice means MORE than WINNING GAMES!

I will NEVER throw DIRT on Texas! I really LOVE this university! Y'all just don't like the fact that im HONEST about y'all "Golden Boy".

But HE'S suppose to be this offensive "Guru". So I've been told!

All these people tweeting at me like I give a damn! You guys clearly see I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK OF ME! I DON'T EVEN KNOW MOST OF YOU!

Ima say this and be DONE! Y'all like Herman and it's cool. But the FACTS are that Todd Orlando is the reason this team even are in games! ✌

Herman DON'T like my son! No matter how hard he WORKS its obvious he's NOT going to play him.Despite him leading ALL WRs on team in TDs.

To UNFOLLOW ME is FREE people! My life won't even take a pause I PROMISE! ✌✌✌

He's selling y'all this "Rebuilding" **** in case he FAILS this year. Setting up the excuse like bowling pins! 6-6 is unacceptable.#StayWoke

You guys asked me to stop tweeting because you said things would change! I stopped for the last two games and you see IT HASN'T! So Whatever

Herman doesn't wanna talk to me! I'm too REAL for him. I won't KISS HIS ASS!

My son hasn't played in 3 games and still lead WRs in TD's and 3rd down receptions.And what's been our Achilles heel? 3rd down conversions.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

So many "all mosts" for the Longhorns this season.

17. gucci888

Really disappointing given how bad the offense has performed. .

Also Ehlinger was held out of practice yesterday. No word on why but his helmet hit the ground on the last drive of the 4th and he was slow to get up after, surprised no one stopped play to check him out.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Maybe the injury was the reason he threw that bad pick

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

He said he thought Heard was going to make a break for that corner of the end zone. Bad decision from a freshman QB. I've seen NFL QBs make as bad throws. There is a reason why most teams don't start freshman QBs.

There are so many problems with the offense that it's hard to figure out which one(s) are the source and which one(s) are the effects. For example, is the play calling the problem or is the play calling a reflection of the limitation with the available talent on the line and RB? Is the QB more comfortable or more likely to certain types of throws in certain directions? It's crazy to think how easily Texas could have lost the Kansas St game. It would have just taken that fumble by Humphrey to be recovered by KS. The season is certainly disappointing and the bright spot of the defense could end up not making up for much if we see 3-4 guys leave early to the draft.

Some Notes:

-Herman is moving receivers coach Drew Mehringer from the sideline to the press box with offensive coordinator Tim Beck.
    -QB Sam Ehlinger and sophomore C Zach Shackelford are being evaluated by the Texas medical staff for head injuries sustained in the Oklahoma State game on Saturday and both were held out of practice on Sunday. Redshirt freshman WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps also was held out of Sunday's practice due to a knee injury he sustained in the game.

God help Tom Herman if we lose to Baylor.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

To be fair, at the same time, we could be 5-1 with huge upsets over the #4, #12, and #10 team in the country if a ball bounces our way in each of those games. I hope the team doesn't forget that, but yeah, we need a W this weekend.

I wonder how the SOS looks at the end of the year. This team has had tough opponents.