1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If you like Ingram's offer list, you'll love Herman's newest commit. Ridiculous.

As far as Watkins, he committed 2 months after Strong got fired so not sure that's a factor. But proximity without any state ties will always be a long recruitment.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

-With a really good season we could finally see a college in Texas bag some of the top high school players in Texas. That to me would be monumental.

-It's now official that Erick Fowler has been given his release from the team.

It was announced that UT will be joining a satellite camp taking place in Louisiana. They'll also be going to East Texas, Georgia, Florida, Atlanta and Las Vegas I'm not sure how many camps Charlie went to.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Honestly, I love Strong and most of his core values, but we lost a shitload of talented, otherwise upstanding guys because of pot. In this day and age, that's just stupid. I'm all for relaxing that core value. I get that Leitao's issues were prescription drug-related, but his charges were dropped to a misdemeanor and he doesn't have a history of making bad decisions. I don't even think a non-athlete student would lose admission to UT because of a misdemeanor...why should he?

5. gucci888

Don't recall him going out of state for camps, think he only held one in Dallas and Houston.

6. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ospect-ayodele-adeoye-commits-texas-longhorns

Texas continues to surge on the recruiting trail under Tom Herman.

After securing commitments from ESPN 300 running back Keaontay Ingram and hard-hitting safety DeMarvion Overshown earlier in the week, the Longhorns struck again -- this time on a top out-of-state target.

Ayodele Adeoye, the No. 43-ranked prospect in the class of 2018 and top-ranked prospect in Missouri, committed to Texas over Oklahoma, Missouri, LSU, Illinois, Florida and Texas A&M following an unofficial visit to Austin on Friday and Saturday.

The door opened for Texas to recruit Adeoye when defensive coordinator Todd Orlando joined Herman at Texas. Orlando recruited Adewale Adeoye, Ayodele's older brother, to Utah State in 2014 while he was the defensive coordinator for the Aggies.

Herman's first full class in Austin has seen a shift in momentum amid a series of recruiting victories. Under Armour All-America Game and Sunshine State playmaker Justin Watkins was the first commitment in the class following his decommitment from Florida State, but it was the flip of ESPN 300 quarterback Cameron Rising from Oklahoma -- nine days after ESPN 300 quarterback Casey Thompson out of Oklahoma committed -- that jump-started the momentum shift.

The Longhorns' success in the state of Oklahoma has created national buzz with Thompson, the son of one-time Sooners quarterback Charles Thompson, and defensive end Ron Tatum III both picking the Longhorns. The in-state flip of ESPN 300 safety Caden Sterns from LSU has also proven to be impactful.

With momentum now on Texas' side, the run up to the ESPN 2018 class rankings continues. Already knocking on the door of a top-10 class, sitting at No. 11 following the commitment of Ingram, the Longhorns have added No. 66 overall Overshown and No. 43 Ayodele since Wednesday's rankings update.

Texas remains in the hunt for more than a handful of ESPN 300 prospects, including cornerback Anthony Cook, defensive back D'Shawn Jamison, safety B.J. Foster, tight end Mustapha Muhammad, defensive tackle Keondre Coburn and receivers Al'vonte Woodard, Brennan Eagles and Jaylen Waddle.

Under Armour All-America Game safety Foster, the No. 36 ranked prospect in the class, is scheduled to announce his commitment June 5 with the Longhorns considered the heavy favorite over LSU, Michigan, TCU and Ohio State.

https://www.fanragsports.com/cfb/4-star-lb-ayodele-adeoyes-commitment-means-texas/

There seems to be no stopping Texas football coach Tom Herman on the recruiting trail these days.

Texas just scored another major commitment when Class of 2018 4-star linebacker Ayodele Adeoye offered a verbal pledge to play for the Longhorns on Sunday.

After visiting the Austin campus this weekend, Adeoye felt right at home with Herman and his staff. He made his announcement public with a Twitter video post.

In the process of picking the Longhorns, Adeoye turned down serious interest from Illinois, Missouri and LSU. He also had offers from Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisville, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and many other major programs.

The 6-foot, 231-pound inside linebacker from Saint Louis, Missouri (Ritenour High School), is rated a 4-star recruit by 247 Sports. The site ranks him the No. 124 overall prospect in the 2018 class and the fifth-best inside linebacker in the country. 247 Sports also regards Adeoye as the fourth-best football player in the state of Missouri.

Herman is not just doing tremendous work on his home recruiting turf, but he is evidently having little trouble plucking stud recruits all over the country.

Adeoye is considered an elite run stuffer. He is great at clogging running lanes and making it almost impossible for running backs to avoid him. Adeoye always has his motor running and is a determined defender in run and pass coverage.

During his junior year, Adeoye racked up 128 tackles and six sacks.

This is just another notch on the belt for Herman, who is assembling a stellar haul for his first full recruiting class— especially on defense. Four of Texas’ five highest-ranked recruits for the 2018 class play on defense.

Adeoye’s pledge follows 4-star safety-linebacker DeMarvion Overshown’s commitment just five days ago. Adeoye will complement the skills of Overshown and 4-star safety Caden Sterns. These three players are some of the hardest hitting tacklers at the high school level.

Upon being hired, Herman has implemented a nearly flawless recruiting strategy and he seemingly can’t miss on his top targets.

The RevolUTion is certainly giving Texas fans a lot to be excited about. Adeoye is just another blue-chipper ready to make noise when he gets to Austin next season.

7. gucci888

Huge few days for Herman with Overshown, Adeoye, and now 5* B.J. Foster just committing. #1 rated safety in the country, 2nd best prospect in Texas.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It looks like there is something brewing at UT in Austin, Texas.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Other than the gang rapes most of the Baylor Program were fine young men.

I'm not one to faint over reefer madness but setting a tone of accountability is probably important for a program that was obviously inmates running the asylum in the crumbling remains of Mack's era (e.g., the actual gang rape by 2 players dismissed from the program that offseason).

And who are the talented upstanders who ended up being wasted? A quick perusal indicates Kennedy Estelle spending a year in the Canadian league after transferring to West Alabama, Chevoski Collins ended up at Scottsdale CC, and Desmond Harrison signing with Division II West Georgia, and Daje Johnson in the "Spring League" - whatever that is.

Obviously, siging up somebody with a recent felony charge who was well off enough to hire a lawyer and get it dropped down to a misdemeanor is a departure from this approach. But it's the kind of thing all the UT faithful loved to crack on rival schools for constantly. Glass house now though.

10. gucci888

Looks like it. Long way to go before February but up to #4 in the 247 team rankings.

11. vj23k

This is an absurd and unfair statement. Not responding to it.

For one, I spoke only to drug-related issues. I'm absolutely behind the swift and unequivocal dismissal of anyone charged with violent crimes, especially sexual assault. Not "Setting a tone of accountability" is quite a departure from the systematic enabling of sexual assault (Baylor) and non-sexual but still quite violent assault (OU) that we like to 'crack on rival schools' for. Not seeing a glass house argument.

re: talent that left the program because of pot. I'm not saying these guys were worldbeaters, but considering Marcus Hutchins (OL->DL->OL) and Camron Hughes (nicknamed NCAA - no contact at all) started games at LT and RT, Estelle and Harrison absolutely would have played. I don't think Daje Johnson was ever dismissed but was suspended for multiple games...he was probably our best offensive skill position player at the time. Joe Bergeron was a solid RB. When you lose multiple games by less than a touchdown, those guys, even if just depth, absolutely could have been the difference between 5-7/6-7 and 8-4 (and, thus, the difference between keeping and losing your job)

peleincubus likes this.
  12. gucci888

Well we don't know if they would have pulled his admission entirely or just his full scholarship and spot on the team. Don't think we heard anything about the former but Harvard recently pulled 10 admission offers for comments and memes posted on a Facebook chat.

13. vj23k

Sure. I also accept that Herman probably isn't going to be running as clean a program as Strong, and that sucks. I just don't think it's the end of the world to give a first-time offender a second chance after a non-violent crime. I didn't look too deeply into it, but I believe there was also some chatter about Leitao holding the drugs/cash for a friend or something. I don't know if that's true, and it's stupid either way...I'm just saying.

If anything, I am mad about the piece of **** rape-enabler that Herman hired from baylor (http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...rman-casey-horny-hire-defense-texas-longhorns).

14. gucci888

Agreed. Letiao isn't that big of a deal to me and honestly don't know if Strong, Saban, Urban, etc...would've handled it any different. But I still can't wrap my head around the Horny hired. That's a huge hell f*ck no if I'm Perrin or Fenves.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was very disappointed in that hire. I don't know his involvement in the scandal so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I prefer not to touch anyone in that program.

16. Brando2101

Hopefully he and Brandon Jones could be a nightmare for teams in a couple years
    I agree with all of this. I'm sure the University will monitor that hire as well bc UT has a very aggressive policy combating sexual assault. I trust Herman because he cut his teeth with Urban Myer over Briles who ran the city where he coached football and seemed to have little oversight at Houston.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stoops leave means we are going to rule recruiting

18. Brando2101

I can't imagine Kevin Sumlin makes it past this season either.

19. gucci888

Not much of a recruiting threat but Kingsbury could be out as well. Have to imagine Snyder is near the end so we could see 1/2 the teams in the Big 12 with coaching changes in the span of one year.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member