1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

Another great win by the Horns. Their resume is looking solid heading into March.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Had to DVR the game, just got to watch.

What an impressive burst to close it out. This team has consistently shown the ability to run with anybody in the country. If not for the slow start, this team would probably be looking at a 3 seed. As is we still could get a 5, maybe a 4 seed with a good showing in the Big 12 tournament, or an upset of Kansas.

Truly an exceptional first year for Shaka Smart. Just hope the NBA doesn't come calling.

3. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

This team has so many clutch players. From Isaiah Taylor, to Felix, to Lammert. Even the freshman are stepping up in critical moments with huge plays.

This says a ton about Shaka Smart. The NBA will come calling. The difference (versus Barnes) he is getting out of these guys in terms of effort and execution has been remarkable. These guys show skill, confidence, passion, and they aren't afraid of and can beat anyone.

I believe UT will earn a 3 seed in this tournament. They will get enough big wins to show that they are one of the 10 most dangerous teams in the entire NCAA pool. That fear will be respected. Hook'em.

4. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

I actually hope Houston come calling, been very impressed with him.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

An incredibly great hire by UT. Shocking how they are getting stronger rather than collapsing as the season goes on like Rick's teams did.

I really don't think his approach to coaching would go over with professional players all the Navy Seal rah, rah, competing in conditioning drills with the players, all the mentoring etc. Hopefully have does not have to through the typical failed college coach to pro period before going on to become an all time legend at the college level which he has a reasonable chance at.

6. Bob Barker 007

Based on what Shaka has done in the past, he would be pretty unwilling to just get up and leave Texas in the near future. He said himself that he would not have left VCU if they hadn't lost in the 1st or 2nd round last year. He chose Texas over a bunch of other head coaching positions around the country because he really likes the city of Austin and wants to settle here for the considerable future. He likes the idea of stability, both for his family and for his career. I think he stays a minimum of 3 years. His assistants are fair game, however, and they are some of the best in the country.

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

He's not going to Houston. He has already turned down the likes of UCLA and others with storied histories in the past. I thought his short list of schools he would consider was as little as Kansas, North Carolina, and Texas, but I'm not sure.

8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I think he means the Houston Rockets.

9. Hustle Town

Still don't think so but I appreciate the clarification

10. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

As clarified, I meant the rockets.

11. Buck Turgidson

They can beat anyone, and they can lose to anyone.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Smart could own Texas with just a little success. He's not going anywhere. Barnes was around for a long time and had only one final four appearance.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, the rockets are not going to hire a college coach. If they do, then the coach K is the first option.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It would be an interesting hire, for sure.

Don't see him leaving Texas so soon... and had he stayed at VCU doubtful he would get a look at the NBA level.

But today, I can see an NBA team legitimately having interest. He's a guard focused coach that is modern and innovative... in a world where guards rule.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ut is losing 0-15 wtfwtfwtf

16. Hustle Town

Texas 5-23 FG
    Kansas 13-19 FG

We have 7 offensive rebounds, and I'm pretty sure no points off of them. You name it, and it's gone wrong for us.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Need to forget about this game.

Gotta beat Ok. State and then get ready for the Big 12 tournament. Guessing it's likely going to be a 4/5 matchup.

Rematch vs Baylor.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Texas junior guard Isaiah Taylor is suffering from plantar fasciitis in his right foot, head coach Shaka Smart said Monday after the Longhorns' 86-56 loss to Kansas.

19. Major

Major Member

He needs to skip the OSU game - they should be able to win that without him. That gives him about 10 days of rest.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Kansas went through a little mid season lull, but they're clearly the best team in the country IMO. They're the only team I've seen that has looked visibly better than us. Even in the first game where we hung close for most of it, down the stretch they we're completely dominating us.

Just gotta put this one behind you and take care of business against a weak Ok St.