1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USMNT - Moving forward

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jan 28, 2018.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

What are the odds that a candidate who played the game professionally is a better bet to fix what ails US Soccer? I'm not sure a candidate who never played the game professionally is at the top of the concerns for US Soccer. The US Soccer landscape is unique but not ridiculously complex that it can't be solved. I mean, Alan Rothenberg did a solid job with US Soccer and navigated the landscape decently despite not having played the game at any noteworthy level.

If you feel that way about the US Soccer system and it's uniqueness re. not running it like other countries then I'm guessing you'd be opposed to going after the problems in the US Soccer system and making changes similar to some of those that Germany made after Euro 2000? Changes which players like Martino-who you mentioned, repeatedly talked about implementing.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

no opposed at all but someone like martino would know how to make the transition because he lived it and that's my point. you need someone who understands the strangeness that is ncaa, no relegation, dysfunctional pyramid, etc... to transition to something that is more similar to the rest of the world. but understanding that some of that won't work here so how to bridge those gaps and have a truly modernized, fifa like, but uniquely american soccer system.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm sure having a technical director, who has played the game in the USA, to provide advice and recommendations to the USSF prez regarding what can be done to help improve the US Soccer landscape will benefit the USSF president, US Soccer and fans of/in the USA.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

The solution is simple. First, don't let the wall get built. Second, give a home discount in one community for any german, Brazilian, or Spanish families who want to move in, then pay African American families with kids to move into the community with the requirement that their kids play soccer. Once we can get our kids competing with kids who have a passion for the sport, and the knowledge, they will amplify their skills. Our youth soccer programs seem to be popular. Then they drop off. The key is to build passion and knowledge. It's really that simple. We have the athletes, but the knowledge is missing. And half of that is achieved when you play better talent for a longer period of time. So you build an ecosystem of soccer in small communities, and you support that ecosystem not only as pipeline to develop talent, but as a pipleline to a career in soccer.

ipaman likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

6. DaDakota

1-0 USA at the half.

DD

7. DaDakota

Ball game, turns out all we needed to do was let the young dogs play and we get some spirit and energy and creativity....goodbye Altidore, Dempsey, Bradley - your time is up.

DD

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure.

9. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

The penalty call was absolutely ridiculous.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yeah...no.

The kids performed ok but that was not a team that is anywhere near ready to compete internationally. There were so good things and there weren't. I felt the defense played well. They had a couple hiccups but otherwise were solid. Saief was decent. The Taylor kid in the middle that won the penalty showed a lot but he's got a ton of work to do. He might be better suited as a winger as I'm not sure he has the touch to play in the middle. Bobby Wood looks absolutely horrible. Not sure what's wrong with him.

It was great to see Tim Weah get some minutes. I think Sarachan made a mistake in limiting the subs. Why not get as many people in as you can?

There's a future and the old guard is going to play less and less of a role. Without a real competitive match for at least another year, there's no reason for the old guys to make an appearance. I would like to see them, maybe later this year, start to integrate Pulisic and the rest of the younger experienced players with the Weah's, Sargent's, etc in the pool. I guess that will depend on what they decide to do to fill the manager spot. I'm guessing they're waiting until after the World Cup to see who's available.

11. leroy

The only issue I had with it was that Taylor's touch was bad and he wasn't going to finish that anyway. Plus, if the ref makes that call, how is it not a red? Keeper is the last man taking out a player in what's deemed to be a breakaway

K mf G likes this.
  12. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Agreed since the ref called the penalty, goalie should have been red carded, i didn't hear either of the commentators make that point. The touch was horrible and the goalkeeper only touched the player cause the players own momentum took him into the keepers body. I'm still not sure how much the goalie touched taylor anyway.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Germany and Belgium are nothing alike as well.

Belgium has a good team every 10- 15 years while Germany can send out a good team almost every generation.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  14. DaDakota

The USA is getting there, this generation is better than the last.

DD

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

USMNT plays a friendly against Brazil tonight on FS1 and Univision. No Pulisic though.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. leroy

Not a terrible showing. The 2nd goal was bulls*** pk. Some good:

- Miazga and Brooks played well in the central d and made what might be the pairing going forward.
    - Yedlin looks like a completely different player than the kid from 2014. He's better on the ball and a better defender.
    - Weston McKennie and Tyler Adams showed promise and were solid...though I think McKennie was out of position
    - Zach Steffen was good in goal

and some not:

- Will Trapp is useless. He's supposed to be the outlet and distributor but he never moved into good positions and was constantly in the wrong spot. His passing was crap and had a lot of bad giveaways. When given a good chance to shoot from about 20 (I'm told he's good at this), he hit it with his purse straps. McKinnie should've been in his spot with Weah starting where McKinnie was.
    - Antonee Robinson just got torched all night long. Granted, being forced to mark Diego Costa is never fun for anyone, Robinson made it easy for Costa. Bad positioning over and over.
    - Bobby Wood just has seemed to lose it. He doesn't seem to want to take defenders on any more.

All in all, not bad for a team of kids against a mostly Brazilian "A" team.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Regarding Antonee Robinson, I think you meant he was forced to mark Douglas Costa and not Diego.

Diego is a born Brazilian but decided to play for the Spanish NT.

19. leroy

Naturally. Man was he just straight murdering Robinson.

20. leroy

Someone mentioned a name to me that would make an interesting and maybe perfect hire for head coach...David Wagner. The German-born, former USMNT player who’s currently the head coach at Huddersfield. He started his coaching career at Dortmund under Klopp. Got hired to Huddersfield and got them promoted and stayed in the EPL when there were overwhelming odds that they’re be immediately relegated.

He knows the American player. He has tons of European experience as a player and coach. He should be on the short list, IMO.