1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USMNT - Moving forward

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jan 28, 2018.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Game tonight against Bosnia & Hertsagovinia - many many young players making their debut.

Out with the old and in with the new....and...Zardes still sucks.

8:30 tonight - like right now on Fox Sports 1

DD

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

0-0 at the half, US has more control, but B/H had best chance.

2nd half many subs...gonna be interesting.

DD

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

@leroy @DaDakota @rhino17 etc

Are y'all keeping up with the USSF elections?

I recently listened to Winograd, Martino, Wynalda, Carter and Gans on Grant Wahls podcast. (I haven't been able to listen to Cordeiro and I don't care for Solo).

Was unimpressed with Carter. Wynalda's plans were ehhhhh. Gans didn't impress me either.

Martino and Winograd were the two most impressive to me and their plans for the job were interesting.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes. There was a good Q&A article on ESPN that I read for each of the candidates. Not one of them is exactly inspiring. I'm tired of the amount of time they spend discussing promotion/relegation and changing the calendar. Neither of those issues are realistic or necessary. The only way relegation was going to happen was if they did it from the beginning. If you change the calendar, how do the Canadian teams play home games from Dec - March?

Their focus should be on player development, coaching, and the national teams. I had thought Martino and Wynalda were forming some sort of partnership. Wynalda seems like the Donald Trump of the candidates. A bunch of bluster with no real plan to actually get something done. Cordiero has the experience but is he too tied into Gulati...same with Carter. Hope Solo? No.

Just going on what I've seen written and said so far, Paul Caligiuri aligns best with what I think the role is. He wants to build through the youth system, expanding the long forgotten ODP program and using the Federation as a means to reduce costs to play. He wants to make pay equal, period, and wants to expand transparency when it comes to the relationship with SUM. He also wants to hire a technical director. This is something I completely agree with. It needs to be someone that understands the American player and will set a direction for the entire federation. This person would be responsible for overseeing the hiring process for national team coaches.

Cal isn't going to win but I like his platform more than the others.

5. ferrari77

Don't sleep on Winograd. The calendar change and rel/pro will be very difficult to implement if one tries to, but regarding rel/pro, Winograd had an interesting idea that seems worth considering.

Also, i think the majority of them- Martino, Solo, Wynalda, Winograd, Gans, Caligiuri, all want to build through the youth system, have equal pay, transparency with SUM and hire a technical director.

#5 ferrari77, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. leroy

Today is the day. Reports are that Carter and Cordiero are the front runners...which is incredibly disappointing. The others were apparently working on a plan to consolidate somehow but that's not working out. First vote is happening at 8:30 am Central

Watch it live.

7. leroy

First round of voting (after the actual first one was tossed because people couldn't follow instructions)...

1. Cordiero
    2. Carter
    3. Wynalda
    4. Martino
    5. Gans
    6. Solo
    7. Winograd
    8. Calgiuri

No one got 50%+1 so they'll go to round 2.

It's time for the bottom 4 to decide between Martino and Wynalda and throw their support there. Carter and Cordiero were 20 points ahead of Wynalda. Caligiuri withdrew after getting less than 1%.

8. leroy

Round 2 under way minus Paul Caligiuri...
    1. Cordiero - 41%
    2. Carter - 33.3%
    3. Wynalda - 10.8
    4. Martino - 10.2
    5. Gans
    6. Solo
    7. Winograd

Cordiero jumps to an 8 point lead over Carter but still at 41%. He picked up what appears to be Cal's votes and some from Wynalda and Martino.

9. leroy

Round 3 (Steve Gans and MIchael Winograd have withdrawn after round 2)...

1. Cordiero 68%
    2. Carter 10.6%
    3. Martino 10.6%
    4. Wynalda 8.9%
    5. Solo

Carlos Cordiero is the new president of US Soccer. Not sure what to think. He's been VP for a long time and a big part of where we are now...good and bad. Hope Solo, in her 5 minutes earlier today blistered him for being a part of the problem. We'll see if he has the balls to make the changes that are necessary.

10. ferrari77

I'm alright with Cordeiro after listening to his interviews over the past week. (compared to Carter who is just.....nope).
    The guy chose to run and was prepared to run against Gulati...before Gulati even stepped down. He had to endure fans calling him the "status quo" as he disputed that at every turn. Plus, he was up against the actual establishment choice...Gulati, SUM and you can be sure many others in power wanted Carter to be USSF prez.
    I hope Cordeiro will take on some of the great ideas thrown out there by some of the other candidates and perhaps work with the other candidates(maybe one of them might be a good choice by him for the GM/Technical director position which he's talked about having).

It's not all sunny days are here again but I also don't think it's doom and gloom for US Soccer. Work in progress.

11. ferrari77

Heckuva piece here by Geoff Cameron with The Players Tribune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/geoff-cameron-what-must-change-in-u-s-soccer/

Some of it

Yung-T likes this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Inept President who lead US Soccer to missing the WC resigns and his VP wins election as replacement ROLF!!!! You can't be serious?!?!

13. leroy

It's hard to imagine how he's not the status quo. He can say what he wants about planning to run against Sunil...but the fact is that he was Chuck Glazer's financial adviser and brought in by Gulati. Other than playing as a kid, he has no professional experience in the game other than his work for the federation.

I guess we'll have to just wait and see because right now, it's all talk.

14. ferrari77

The Financial Adviser to Glazer stuff, I must have missed that. Where's the info that points to him as Glazer's adviser?

I don't see how professional experience is needed if a necessity to be chairman of the board/president. Now professional experience for the technical director-for sure that should be a necessity. I get that some countries have people who were involved with teams in those leagues (ownership or playing) as heads of their FA's but others don't. Germany are "surviving" without an FA president who had professional experience in the game it seems. Same with Belgium I think. Plus if he brings on one of the other candidates with professional experience to be VP or technical director then hopefully that will make a difference in US Soccer.

15. ferrari77

Would you have preferred Kathy Carter?
    In reality there were only two candidates with a real chance of winning. Time will tell if the lesser of two evils was chosen.

16. ipaman

Hell no, she is handpicked SUM establishment. I was thinking Martino or Wynalda would be a great opportunity because those two lived the unique US soccer system that is high school, college, semi-pro, and eventually pro levels. They also understand the adult amateur leagues because both still play I believe. Any decision either of those two would have made would have been with their hands on experience in the US Soccer System. That has to count for a lot imo.

Instead they hire accountants, business men/woman, who've never kicked a ball.

17. ferrari77

1. I was 100% behind Martino but all of them-Martino, Wynalda, Solo, Caligiuri, had no chance of winning.
    2. I mentioned this above, I'm not sure the person in charge of the German or Belgian federation played at any notable level. Same with the English FA president.
    Kicking a ball isn't a requirement to be a good Federation boss....especially if you aren't like Sunil Gulati and you can delegate and hire someone with more football expertise to run the technical side of things as it relates to the national teams and the youth game.

18. ipaman

The US Soccer landscape is nothing like Germany or Belgium. Frankly it's like nothing else in the world. It is so unique for so many reasons, some of which I already mentioned, that running it like other countries do doesn't make any sense imo.

The idea of, our soccer system is like no other country so let's run it like those other countries, is insane to me.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Hope Solo ripped the establishment candidates.

20. leroy

She really did...especially Cordiero. Spent just about all of her 5 min today on her high horse. She was right about much of it, too. What she said about her earnings in 2015 (23 games played and a World Cup championship) vs. Tim Howard's in 2016 (8 games played, round of 16 exit from World Cup) was pretty astonishing when you think about it (she made $40k less).

As far as professional playing experience being necessary...I'm not saying it is. But he does not have really any track record other than on the business side of the federation and just in the last 11 years. No coaching...no refereeing...no time with youth clubs...no time with professional clubs of any level.

I will admit that the bit about him being Chuck Glazer's financial adviser was actually a "birther" kind of mistake. It was a rumor that got started because Cordiero's time at Goldman Sachs overlap's time that Glazer was a client. Cordiero wasn't involved in private banking.

After the speeches today, I would've voted for Kyle Martino. He had the right amount of polish, business experience, professional playing and broadcasting experience, and ideas that made him a great candidante.