1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Used Car Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, May 31, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm going to buy a used car for a relative. My inclination is to keep it cheap, say around $4,000, and focus on a reliable brand like Honda. That can get you something circa 2004. Wanted to ask if this is penny-wise and pound-foolish. Is that too old a car, cost too much in maintenance and repair, and need replacement too soon? Would I actually be better off in the long run to take a loan and spend more for a younger car?

EDIT: Dammit, supposed to go in Hangout! Now, I'll get the pile-on of political cracks!

fchowd0311, cml750 and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it deserves its own thread

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

A 2015ish used Honda with a manufacturer extended warenty is probably a better option unless your relative or someone close to your relative knows how to wrench and do basic maintenance and repair such as timing belt, alternator and fuel pump replacements. No matter how reliable a manufacturer is, eventually age and wear is going to have you replacing those type of parts.

A 15 years old Honda is cheap and easy to repair with an abundance of cheap parts if you know how to wrench but if you have to take it to a shop, the cost of labor isn't worth it.

Also, a 2004 Honda is on Its last legs for potential resale. Your relative would most likely be the last owner and would have to either salvage or part out the car.
    Basically, 10+ year old cars are economical if you know how to do your own labor.

#3 fchowd0311, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    JuanValdez likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

@justtxyank, any chance you can move this to Hangout?

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I’m assuming you are doing this as a good thing and favor for your relative. First, kudos. Second, you don’t want to buy them a car that may cause them expenses to fix, so as fchow mentioned, you may want to consider something a bit newer.

Good luck.

JuanValdez likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

When you get into 10-12 year old used cars, you have some real problems unless you are handy with making repairs.

You are likely better looking at a car from 2010-12. Some of those cars will have problems but a lot of them will not.

JuanValdez likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Obama is a Kenyan spy.

Deckard, amaru, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I have not had much problem with my 2005 toyota Camry, we had another Camry for 19 years before I sold it. Hardly any repairs at all other than things like brakes, tires etc.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I would have said all good if the owner is a DIY mechanic. But not so sure with imported parts on a path of accelerating inflation rate.

10. JuanValdez

To those who've mentioned it, no there's no DIY mechanic in the family. I have a trustworthy mechanic, but of course he needs to eat.

I will meditate deeply on the advice everyone has given.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Did you do regular maintenance?

That is exceptionally good.

12. pirc1

Yes, I do the oil change filter maintenance three times a year and I do the the big maintenance every 30-40 thousand miles. I think those cost like 500-1000 range if I remember correctly.

Nook likes this.
  13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Shop American. Support local business.

14. Nook

Nook Member

That makes a big difference.

amaru likes this.
  15. pirc1

I had a Ford Taurus and it keeps on breaking, had to fix engine, transmission and other stuff. You tell me what would you do? Keep buying cars that you need to fix or buy one that just need periodic maintenance. This is just from my personal experience.

amaru likes this.
  16. mick fry

mick fry Member

A gas burner? Rededicate and repent!

17. Nook

Nook Member

Ford is owned by stockholders from all over the world, including people outside the United States. Ford vehicles are made all over the world. “Buy American” in many cases does not mean what it used to mean.

amaru likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If I was going to buy American manufactured, I would buy a Toyota.

amaru and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Drive a Tesla for awhile and you won’t want a day to day gas car. My wife has one, it is extremely quick going 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. It has exceptional braking, it is very comfortable and quiet and smooth.

You also can have sex in it while driving.

pirc1, mick fry, amaru and 3 others like this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Still working on a D&D angle: how about a used Ford from the McNamara era??

Deckard and Nook like this.