1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US Soccer Player Comes Out and Retires

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 15, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Robbie Rogers who played MLS and on team USA has come out. I think it is too bad though that he feels like he has to retire though. I guess shows that there is still a ways to go before acceptance of gays in men's professional sports.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...s-gay-announces-retirement-from-soccer-021513

Rogers comes out as gay, retires

Former Columbus Crew and United States midfielder Robbie Rogers has come out as gay and announced his retirement effective immediately.

The 25-year-old American, who played for Leeds United and left League One side Stevenage last month, wrote on his blog that he had been afraid of revealing his sexuality - but that he is now leaving football.

Rogers, who won 18 caps for the United States men's national team, wrote: "Secrets can cause so much internal damage. People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple. Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay.

"Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.''

He added: "Now is my time to step away. It's time to discover myself away from football.''

"Much love and respect for you," tweeted USA forward Herculez Gomez. Women's national team superstar Abby Wambach, Chivas USA's Juan Agudelo and Los Angeles Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez also weighed in. "Couldn't be happier for you!" wrote Wambach.

Eddie Pope, a three-time World Cup defender for the United States men's national team added: "Brave men like you will make it so that one day there's no need for an announcement. That day can't arrive soon enough."

No British-based professional player has come out since ex-Norwich and Nottingham Forest striker Justin Fashanu in 1990. He committed suicide eight years later aged 37. There has been a thawing of attitudes to the prospect of gay players in Britain in recent times, however.

Last month, West Ham winger Matt Jarvis became the third footballer to feature on the cover of the UK's best-selling gay magazine, Attitude, after David Beckham and Freddie Ljungberg. Although not gay himself, Jarvis insisted gay footballers should feel comfortable enough to come out.

Meanwhile, Clarke Carlisle, the chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), said last year he had been engaged in discussions with eight gay players but none of them wished to go public.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Robbie was always a pretty boy.

Seriously though I wish he stayed in the game. It would have been better if he tried to continue as a player. Then again maybe he didn't want to be matyr-ish and have to deal with the crap "supporters" spew at opposing players.

4. Pete the Cheat

So I couldn't have been the only one expecting it to be Donovan when I clicked the thread?

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I hope that he didn't leave the game simply because he felt like he had to. That would be a real shame.

The best thing to come out of this is that it's another sign that we are getting ever closer to an active professional athlete coming out. I think it's going to happen here pretty soon.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

However, we're still far away from the ultimate goal, a day when a player's sexuality is little more than a footnote, like someone's religion.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've played soccer for 25+ years and I thought everyone was gay but me... so this dude is obviously using his gayness as a way out of a physically demanding sport -- case closed.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It is so sad that people feel the need to keep their sexual preference secret. But can you blame them with allt he religious people and conservatives saying you are a terrible disgusting person.

9. tomato

tomato Member

So he just came straight out and retired? out of nowhere?

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd bet he'll be back within 2 years...almost assuredly in the MLS. He probably needs a little time to figure s*** out. Maybe he's waiting for someone else to come out and be an active player so that he doesn't have to be the focal point.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

¡¡¡"El Pistolero"!!!! :grin:

I guess it was a different kind of 'pistolero.'

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XLsgw1UicEw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XLsgw1UicEw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

On the other hand... why people *whether sports figure or whatever they are* need to come out and announce their sexual preferences is beyond me... do you really need to tell us this? Do you really need to disclose it to the press? WTF cares? Just play ball... or... balls :eek:.