1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US Soccer future in good hands

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ferrari77, Aug 2, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Easter Egg Hunter - Tell me why? نحن عائلة
    Supporting Member

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a bad showing for Gregg Berhalter's first game. 3-0 win over Panama. They used a lot of previously uncapped players (5 started the game...most since 1992). I was especially impressed by Alex Lima and Djordje Mihailovic. You could see what Berhalter is trying to do and it will be interesting when they play a better team in a couple days (Costa Rica)...even moreso in March at BBVA Compass when he should have more of a full complement (it's an international date on the FIFA calendar). More possession and movement from the outside backs. Lima was tasked with coming in to help Bradley and close down the little spaces between the mids and the backs....amazingly something no other US coach has ever thought of. I'm not kidding either. There's always been a huge gap between the mids and the backs. It'll be interesting to see if he uses Yedlin the same way.

I think a few guys have earned themselves a callback in March to train with the big boys. Lima, Mihailovic, Walter Zimmerman (had a nice finish off a Lima cross), Aaron Long all looked good.

ferrari77 likes this.
  3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You forgot to mention (I guess it was easier to see after the second match) Lletget and Jonathan Lewis. Lewis is lovely to watch play and unfortunately it seems he might not get much playing time at NYCFC. Hopefully that won't be the case and they'll play him a bit more this season.
    Lletget is also a quality talent and definitely Roldan and Arriola. Will be nice to see how they mix with the European based players in March.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I only saw parts of the 2nd game. I liked what I did see. I like that Berhalter isn't going to just default to a "defend and counter" strategy. He's trying to implement a more professional game with possession and some risk taking.

I've always like Lletget. I've never been a fan of Arriola. I just don't like his game. He's a pure effort guy which is nice to have around...but I don't see the skill level to be able to be effective on the international level. I could see him some day transitioning to the back because his game might be more effective as a defender. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him but I don't think he's worthy of being in the pool, especially once the rest of the team is involved.

I do think Nick Lima is going to make some noise. He's going to have to beat out Yedlin for significant minutes. But there are things I saw that tell me that he might do that. He's a better player with the ball and seems to keep himself in good defensive positions...whereas Yedlin has always relied on his amazing speed.

There's something to look forward to and the March camp should be really interesting to see how Berhalter does with a full complement.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member