1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Urban Meyer placed on administrative leave

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Aug 1, 2018.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

This is KEY. If the university knew, Urban reporting it wouldn't even be required, as the university was already made aware.

You don't know if the bruises are authentic? Yes, there have been cases where they were self inflicted, but he then says MAY have restrained her? Uhhhmm, noo. You either did or you didn't, and if you did it hard enough to result in incriminating photographic evidence of injury...you'd know it. I'd be curious where the bruises were, too. Because, ya know, it's not normal, for example, to restrain someone by grabbing their face.

Speaking more generally, we as a society rush to judgement on these things, particularly with coaches. I don't think most people understand (as in Paterno's case), that proper procedure is to report it, and then let the proper authorities handle it. This is to prevent the case from being handled incorrectly, either resulting in inadmissible evidence, or for the university being sued. Coaches, or anybody for that matter, or not supposed to act beyond that.

So, the only real question here is: Did Urban follow those procedures, or not?

I also haven't heard, in all this, exactly why Smith was fired. I mean...was an investigation conducted, that found that he had committed domestic violence? or, if not...why exactly. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired, it just seems like that piece of the story is missing, yet kinda important.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yes, she is part of today's culture that I hate.

3. ipaman

Take sports and more specifically "money" out of schools and there will be much less reason to hide terrible things in the name of winning. As it stands you think transparency or lack thereof is the problem but it's not. It's the reason why there is no transparency. It's winning which really means it's money.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Funny coming from someone who made the following statement:

“Breaking down something as complicated a relationships, marriage, potential abuse, law, etc... into a list of 3 rigid and short statements is ridiculous.”

BMoney and Nook like this.
  5. ipaman

Not funny at all actually and clearly you have nothing to offer or learn. Good day.

6. Buck Turgidson

Wait...the wife who allegedly got beat and then talked about it is "part of today's culture that (you) hate"?

BMoney likes this.
  7. ipaman

Are you an idiot or just pretending to be one?

8. gucci888

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I think what he means is that some allegations in other cases were either completely false or not really abuse (see that Hartwick guy from AMC who just got his job back). It's guilty until proven innocent with these kind of things today which I guess is needed considering it's been swept under the rug for even longer than that.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. ipaman

Not what I meant but please don't feed the trolls. If you read the posts and discussion leading up to my post you can tell exactly what I meant. He's being an idiot either intentionally or not.

11. Major

Major Member

There were only two parties directly involved - the coach and the wife. The wife chose to go public. The husband represented a public institution. I'm not sure the issue here. The kids and related parties - it certainly sucks for them, but if you start talking about people who are secondarily involved in things, nothing should ever be made public since kids are probably never at fault. Besides which, this issue affects the kids on the football team if their coach has a violent temper or other abuse problems.

12. Buck Turgidson

I get it. I do not get him.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ohio State alumni and insider Jeff Snook reports that Texas HC Tom Herman was the anonymous tipster who initially spoke with Brett McMurphy about Ohio State HC Urban Meyer's relationship with former WR coach Zach Smith.

If the report is true, it's a stunner. Herman served as offensive coordinator under Meyer from 2012-14, with him taking the head-coaching position at Houston prior to the 2015 season. That latter year is a crucial one in the ongoing investigation of Meyer, as multiple allegations of domestic battery were levied against Smith in 2015. While Meyer initially denied having knowledge of those allegations at Big Ten Media Days, he's since admitted in a statement that he was aware (though he claims he took to proper channels). When Herman was asked about this case in early August, he declined to comment, citing that he wasn't on campus at the critical time in question. There's still so, so much we don't know when it comes to this case, but we expect details to continue to emerge as August unfolds.

#54 J.R., Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. gucci888

Thought it was clearly an ESPN/SEC conspiracy. No wait it’s definitely Tom Herman because Urban stole a recruit.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Urban and Herman really don’t like each other. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Also find it interesting that Herman was paying Mrs. Smith’s legal bills on this issue for awhile.

18. gucci888

Please don’t tell me you’re getting this from the guy who posted the following gem:

“FYI College football fans, another bombshell story is coming… if it can be proven - and it is HUGE, having national ramifications,"

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could the source be Tim Beck?

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How about we trade Herman and Hire urban Meyer. I guess snitching is a bigger sin than reporting domestic abuse.