1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update on Automation and Robots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Feb 28, 2018.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am kind of kind of glad I am on the down slope in term of working years left, but what about the next generation? What should my kid do?

#1 pirc1, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Invest in robot stocks?

Rashmon, KingCheetah and Space Ghost like this.
  3. marky :)

marky :) Member

Learn to make robots?

Rashmon, KingCheetah and B-Bob like this.
  4. pirc1

I am no Donald Trump, I don't think I can pass on that much money to my kid from stock alone so they do not have to work.

5. pirc1

How many of those would we need? What happens when AI starting programming robots and robots start to build other robots?

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Retire off of alt coin while going to anti-robot rallies and/or burning down immigrant shanty towns.

Hakeemtheking, DudeWah and B-Bob like this.
  7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Join the rebel forces to fight against the robot overlords.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. pirc1

Here we come.

[​IMG]

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

any update to Dr.Watson !

10. pirc1

No major break through yet, but if there is major break through, many doctors can kiss their job good bye. Universal income is suggested, but I am not sure how a large percentage of people doing nothing is going to make the society of the future look like.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Here's what I am advising my daughter to get into... analytics. If it were me, sports analytics, I'd attend Sloan with resume in hand and network. But any analytics. We're overflowing with data as everyone started building big data engines and capturing data from sensors, and now people are trying to make business sense out of it. Analytics, and especially predictive analytics... that's where I'd be spending my educational dollars.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. Exiled

Exiled Member

This's the odd guy who didn't give up on it yet (Jean-Francois Boileau, MD)

13. pirc1

I am guessing you have heard of Alpha Go and Alpha Zero the go and chess playing robots. They can learn to play go and chess in mere hours and beat the best humans or current top gaming engines, with self learning, you do not think these AI will be able to make better predictive analysis than humans within a generation? I am very skeptical.

14. Invisible Fan

People are good at abstracting things. I think human/machine pairing will be the trend for another 20 years, especially when current levels of data are based upon deep and prevalent cultural eyesores (ie discriminatory practices such as redlining in real estate and commerce, which then affects machine learning and predictive analysis). It's like we're training AI to be racist and nasty in a Rousseauian way... We're already there, but this is where the log cabin luddites who fear a few certain people can influence and transform society to their own personal ideals by the machines they make become even more realized

Machines might be able to make 1st world living easier, but no one has made a dent on the physical problem for things such as cleaning up our environment or repairing our rapidly collapsing biomes.

Mighty weird to be living in 100+ yr old shacks despite everything else being full on digital. Hopefully it won't be like that upcoming Spielburg movie, but that's where we're heading if our profit motive and social inclinations continues to drive innovation to the abstract rather than the real.

15. pirc1

We are either going to achieve greatness with AI and Robot (star track) or we are going to be Terminator /Matrix. The next generation will find out, at least that's my hope because I don't want to face that world.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My company is partnering with IBM and their Watson group. We're just scratching the surface still.

btw, it might be a bit late to get into robots. Folks have been building them for years and their use in industries is getting kind of long in the tooth. Robotic hospital beds, surgery arms, manufacturing robots, heck... 3D printers are essentially single function robots. I think you are right looking at AI and AR/VR/HR. Get away from the physical stuff...

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I am still holding off on full panic.

18. pirc1

Good laugh, we better do it while we can. :) Dawn or Doom, we shall see, maybe there is great AI robot human cooperation in the near future and everyone will live like the royals of England today! One can always dream.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

I remember growing up thinking 1984 and Brave New World were warnings against an absolute dystopia. More anxiety of 1984 because fear was the emotion of choice for despots. It turns out it's a little of both? We have a consumer class who follows the pareto ratio of caring/not caring while our democratically elected government are scared stiff of doing anything that can disrupt their short term polling numbers. Meanwhile Silicon Valley is still riding exuberantly high on the infallibility of cold rational machines as the answer to the machines' sinfully flawed masters.

It's like when blessed with a multitude of choice and freedoms, we've opted out on risk and failures, which then opens up to missing out on the life lessons it normally provides. Guess whom or what steps into that void? When there's a need, there's profit and opportunity...

By "we", I guess I mean those who are privileged enough to even have the discussion. I doubt inequality will be answered in our lifetimes with the way things are.

da_juice and Torn n Frayed like this.
  20. body slam

body slam Member

plumber, electrician, heating/ac