1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Unofficial Article] How To Use Data To Help People Stop Being Triggered By Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, May 7, 2018.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A headline starts with: "James Harden..." and before the casual NBA fan even reads another word, they're down in the comments section pasting memes or the fact that Harden has taken more free-throws than anyone else. These fans are holding "most valuable flopper signs" and fainting when a foul is called against their team. They have THFS - Triggered-by-Harden-Fouls-Syndrome.

This easy step-by-step guide shows how you can use real-world data to help your friends through THFS!

"Harden gets way more free throws than anyone!", they say.
    FTR, Playoffs.JPG
    Well, actually four other stars are within less than 1 freethrow-per-game with James Harden in these playoffs. And one player actually takes nearly 2 more FT per game - Lebron!

"Well, Lebron carries his team and does LITERALLY everything!"
    usage.JPG
    He certainly has, in the playoffs! And throughout his career with the Rockets, Harden has had historically high usage rates, too! He led the league - again! Perhaps there's a correlation between usage and fouls?

"Even if there is, Harden is soft and just does rip-through moves."
    PITP.JPG
    Actually, Harden is in the top 5 most points-in-the-paint for guards this season, with Westbrook, Simmons and Lebron. Players who are widely lauded for their toughness and ability to finish through contact!

"STILL doesn't matter. ANY player could be a superstar if the refs called everything for them."
    PCT Unassisted.JPG
    The stats show that Harden had the second highest percentage of unassisted field goals in the league - behind teammate Chris Paul! These guys are routinely making plays happen by themselves against very good defenses, so a high foul rate is to be expected as teams double them or play desperate defense on ISO plays.

"OK, forget talking with you homer Rockets fans! Harden gets way too many fouls and that's the end of story!"
    PCT Points.JPG

Is it, though? When it comes to fouls as a percentage of points, Harden isn't even number one, and is within 3 percentage points of MANY players, most closely: Jimmy Butler, Rudy Gobert, Damian Lillard and DeMar DeRozan.

"There's just no reasoning with you Rockets fans... ESPN says..."
    Don't listen to ESPN. When was the last time you saw professional refs call out a sports network for unchecked journalism?

"UGH, but he's still a TRAVELER!"
    Maybe - here's a detailed view on whether that's true.

"That's just a guy on Youtube! Clearly I understand the game at a higher level."
    OK, here's a professional ref commenting on it.

[Repeat conversation until desired results are achieved.]

#1 napalm06, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. napalm06

Sorry this is a little long, I hope that it's helpful! :cool:

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I had 1 dude at the gym tell me today that Harden has it so easy because defenders can’t press up on him and guard him conventionally because everything is a foul so Harden gets easy paths to the bucket and a lot of space to get his shot off.

I said Harden takes a ton of contested shots with defenders draped all over him and is always played tightly out on the perimeter because u can’t give him any space. He then told me to stop being a homer.

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

People that get triggered by Harden don't give a flip about data or anything else.

Let them get triggered, I don't care. And it's kinda funny.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  5. napalm06

That's a pretty clever argument by him. Harden detractors are slippery snakes. They may slither out once but the data will keep on catching up with them.

I've been a big Harden detractor in the past, but he has taken huge strides this year. This is the best Harden that we've ever seen.

#5 napalm06, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    don grahamleone likes this.
  6. napalm06

Normally I would agree, but it's like the entire NBA at this point. It's an avalanche of this crap on every social media outlet and around every water cooler. I just get tired of hearing ignorance on a daily basis, so I thought I'd shine a ray of light into the darkness. I feel better now.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ve almost lost the will to argue with them. They don’t watch games, and if they do, it’s with hater shades on so it’s like you’re discussing a completely different game. Every foul Harden draws is because he hooked or he flopped to them. A lot of them think that Harden is only a superstar because of free throws and that the NBA has manufactured him into being a great player, it’s crazy.

napalm06 likes this.
  8. napalm06

It's hardly worth discussing foul calls with anyone who has drank anti-Harden kool-aid unless you actually have video of the play in front of you. Then they'll usually back down and say "well, not on THIS play.... but all those other times...." and then you can laugh.

don grahamleone and Reeko like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

During game 4 on the broadcast, TNT was trying desperately to fit the Harden gets more free throws narrative, TNT posted the amount of free throws Harden got from the LAST 6 YEARS to show the disparity.

They didn't even try to show the free throws from this year after the NBA introduced the "Harden Rules", lol.

I just found that funny.

RocketRed4life likes this.
  10. napalm06

That was actually the first in a series of events that got me irritated enough to write this thread. TNT gave the social media masses ammunition to screenshot and post on every Harden-related item around the web.

We will stand and fight!

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. WestendMassive

Any stats to take care of idiots triggered by "travelling", and people that think they know the rules better than the refs? Not just fans either, but media clowns too. For example:

I love how this guy reckons that his screenshot is proof of Harden travelling, when it actually shows that Harden is still dribbling, he hasn't gathered the ball, so he can take as many steps as he likes until he does.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. napalm06

Ah, the traveling narrative is a real slippery one. The intent of this post was just to show that what is available in the basic NBA stats is enough to bust most of the narratives.

Something specific like traveling is just going to require people to argue about specific video clips. But enough officials and experts have backed Harden on that one that I feel like I can just direct people to those.

I think a dedicated person could definitely put together a video of other players (Lillard, Derozan, Lebron, Jordan etc) doing the same moves that Harden does.

(For the record I DO think Harden travels on SOME of his step backs (not usually though). But we have to acknowledge that to be fully correct in that particular debate. Sometimes you have to concede a little.)

WestendMassive likes this.
  13. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

A crop of the NBA Officials website disputing the ESPN bull$hit could be quoted here as spoiler tho.

Love it, liked.

napalm06 likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

other options . . . how to use p*rn to distract people who are triggered by Harden

15. napalm06

I'll let you start that thread.

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

honestly one of the best threads i've read in a long time.

good stuff!

don grahamleone and napalm06 like this.
  17. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post, repped (liked)!

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I love this thread

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

fantastic!

the media bias is real. the nba fan hatred is real.

mostly because he's so damn frustrating to root against when he plays your team. imagine if he were on another team, how often you would be screaming at the tv THAT'S NOT A FOUL OMG HE JUST NODDED WITH HIS BEARD!! HE INITIATED THE CONTACT THAT SHOULD BE OFFENSIVE!

and then when he doesn't get the call he wines and throws his hands up... he does the same whenever he fouls someone...

its terribly frustrating if your team is playing against him. it makes people hate him and the team. and then they go and get chris paul who is basically the same type of annoyance to the opposition.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  20. napalm06

It's nice to be on THIS side of that for once after all of the previous Jazz and Spurs "gamesmanship" for 20 years though.

don grahamleone likes this.