1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Unofficial 2017 ALCS] New York Yankees vs. Houston Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by swyyyguy, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Yankees essentially played the series without their RBI leader, too. Also: I don't care about RBIs.

One is a tiny sample size that has zero relevance; the other is a season-long sample size that gives a much clearer picture of who's who; what's what. They are not in any way equivalent measurements. Surely you knew that?...

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

During the year Kluber was better, but all signs point to him ailing at the moment.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Severino is a guy we've knocked around 3 times.

Carlos Corrasco and Kluber are the best 1-2 punch in the AL and Bauer's had some great success against us.

Nook likes this.
  4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Thinking of making an emotional hedge bet. Yankees at +160. How much am I willing to spend to guarantee an Astros AL pennant? (I never win sports bets).

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Dont do it. If you bet, bet on the team that you believe has the best chance to win and help you make $ off your bet.

No matter who you vote for, there is no evidence that it will affect the ALCS matchup.

Be about $ rather than superstition lol

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

i have the astros winning the AL at +275. and winning the world series +600.

I put these in when the season ended. feel even better about it now that cleveland is out.

Pen15clubber and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Aren't the Astros just as hot? We have arguably the hottest pitcher in baseball, and our offense has gone back to insane-mode the last few weeks. Cleveland and Arizona were arguably the hottest teams in their leagues recently and that didn't go well regardless.

mtbrays and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Anyone going to watch the game anywhere this Friday or Saturday? I'll save my money for WS Tickets. ;)

jnuge90 likes this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is the freaking ALCS. You're not SUPPOSED to feel comfortable about ANY team you're matching up with. But I think it's a little foolish to say you would rather lose home field advantage, and play against the only team in the league that has an argument for being better than you. Nobody is guaranteeing our berth in the World Series, but I tell you what.......I feel better about it now that we're playing the Yankees. Now it's time for our guys to go out and walk the walk.

10. Nigel Thornberry

Some people are just trolls, don’t let it get you down :D

swyyyguy likes this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, at MMP.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

What's your beer counter up to? Serious question.

13. Nigel Thornberry

Yeah pen15 does make me nervous, I always feel like he’s trying to grab my junk or something

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

How worried should we be worried about the Yankees?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Commodore likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Nervous? Yes. Worried? No.

Fyreball and mrm32 like this.
  17. HTM

HTM Member

They should be worried about us.

We are playing in the ALCS. The team we play is going to be good. We are better though. Our #1 and #2 are better than any of their guys and our line-up 1 - 9 is better. Their bullpen is stronger but their starters are beatable.

Pen15clubber and mrm32 like this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He played.... he just sucked.
    You don't care about winning.
    It's still all regular season - which you said, "doesn't mean anything".

By using the "tiny" sample size in making your point, you made it relevant.
    You can stop talking down to me.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

'17 Judge > '17 Encarnacion and both had zero impact on the ALDS - so why would I credit the Indians at all? It is virtually impossible to be worse than Judge was in his 20 ALDS ABs.

No, I do. I just don't care about who leads a team in RBIs. It's not a meaningful measure of anything beyond opportunity.

Jesus christ - you don't want me to talk down to you but here you are, continuing to bang the drum for 7 games = 162 games?.........

Drawing a general conclusion about a team (good/bad; strengths/weaknesses) using 162 games is not in the same galaxy as using a random May and/or July series to draw definitive conclusions about the outcome of games in October.

So, I'll ask again: surely you understand the difference, right?.....

justtxyank likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Astros are a better team but it's not so clear that Astros #1 and #2 are better than any Yankee starter. Severino was statistically better than both Kuechel and Verlander this year (though not better than Verlander's limited starts with the Astros.) That said, I'd trust the Astros guys over Severino at this point. Still, he was the best of the three pitchers this year.