1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UH Hoops Lands Two Top National Recruits

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by lost_elephant, Sep 11, 2011.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Great news! Go Coogs!

Some footage of House and Knowles:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LJZ8aNOBkqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7CRQUhHNuEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. AFS

AFS Member

Man those videos got me excited. We're getting some guys with legit NBA size. Chicken really interested me. He displayed a smooth jumper out to 19 feet in that video.

And man, House is gonna be a sick athlete.

3. AFS

AFS Member

Skinny frame with a big game
    By Corey Long
    ESPN Recruiting

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- At 6-foot-9, 180 pounds, it's easy to see why Danrad Knowles' nickname is "Chicken."

But behind Knowles' lean frame lies a big game and a ceiling that continues to get higher every time he steps on the floor.

"He's improved so much since he's gotten here," said Texas Pro coach Marland Lowe. "He's got his shooting range up to 21 to 22 feet. He's gotten better with his individual ballhandling and he's got a very good feel for the game."

"I really don't know what to expect," Knowles said about his national television debut. "I just want to play hard, play my game and do the things I'm supposed to do."

The Houston native is going to bring energy on both sides of the floor and will get several opportunities to make plays and show his versatility.

"He can bring the ball down the floor and make plays," Lowe said. "He also makes the right passes. He can move the ball around in traffic as well."

Right now, Lowe says that Knowles plays the 4 but says is going to translate into a natural 3-man at the next level.

And as Knowles fills out and becomes stronger, his game will continue to improve.

"He's still got to work on improving his body strength because the guys that can cover him are the ones with an advantage there," Lowe said. "Strength is the key for him right now. Once he gets strong it's going to be tough to stop him because he's already very explosive."

Schools like Baylor, Houston, Missouri, Arkansas and Florida State have already offered and are banking on that strength formation.

Knowles, himself, says the battle to get bigger is something he's always working on.

"I eat all the time," Knowles says laughing. "I'm doing everything I can to get my weight up and my strength up. I know I need to fill out my uniform and I'll be a tougher matchup as that happens."

Several other programs remain interested and will certainly be curious spectators on Tuesday night.

"He's got some offers from strong programs and some other programs are still watching him and seeing how much he improves each time," Lowe added.

Knowles, who is originally from the Bahamas, says that he's remaining open with the recruiting process so far.

"I'm looking at everyone that's interested and staying open," Knowles said. "I'm looking for the right fit and a program where they play an up-tempo style of basketball.”

Lowe describes Knowles as quiet, until you get to know him.

"He has a great personality and a great love for the game," Lowe added.

Even though Knowles admits there's much he needs to work on, he's using his opportunity with Texas Pro to make a name for himself.

"I'm building a little bit of a reputation, not a big one but it's growing a little," Knowles added. "I just want to be known as someone that plays hard.

"And I'm always working to be better on the defensive side of the ball, especially as a rebounder and a shot-blocker. There are so many things I can do to improve."

Knowles' effort and desire to get better are what makes him attractive to coaches.

"I think he's a young man that learns quickly and wants to be better at every facet of his game," Lowe said. "Everything for Chicken is coming together and he's going to show it in college."

Corey Long has been covering high school football and recruiting in the Sunshine State since 1995. He can be reached at coreyespn@gmail.com.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...s/story/_/id/6803579/danrad-knowles-one-watch

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

That plus Scott street. Just kidding. I recently went back to UH to do some research for work, and there was nothing but new construction all over the campus. I am very proud of UH's effort in becoming a legitimate nationally renowned college. The academic foundation is there I think. Optometry and business schools are both top notch. They are still improving.

Also, creative writing. Hi, James franco.

Lil Wayne is an alum as well. Young money.

If the athletics keep recruiting like this, UH is in store for big things

1 person likes this.
  5. AFS

AFS Member

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Good work. Tom Penders and his JuCo recruiting never made any sense.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Is Chicken related to Beyonce?

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Is there anything wrong with being a commuter school? Living on campus is not exactly cheap, and I've always thought it's kind of nice that UH made it easy for people to live at home and commute to classes.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

@AFS:

1 person likes this.
  10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Agreed. Programs like Kentucky should start to try to distance themselves from one and dones because it's hurting their chemistry and continuity at this point and they don't need the recruiting bump.

To get to anywhere near the same zip code as a Kentucky, though, one and dones is a good place to start. It will give the school notoriety right out of the gate and then maybe you can get the ball rolling.

11. AFS

AFS Member

Thank you!! :grin:

12. AFS

AFS Member

I'm not saying anything is wrong with making it easy on the commuters, but it really kinda hinders social aspects of the university when such a large majority of the students are not living on the campus. The student organizations I've been involved with have had issues with being unable to hold events too late because all the commuters have gone home already.

Also, there's no real way to measure this, but I think that students' relationships with the University will go deeper when they are actually living there and its their home. I've come across a lot of people who are really indifferent to UH and are kinda ashamed to be going to school there, when really there's not much to be ashamed about. It might not be the best school in the state, but it certainly has some very respectable programs and its on the way up.

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

UH is a great school the only people that bash it are the whorns and sheep lovers who think anyone that goes to UH is beneath them. This is one of the reasons that people who have went to UH seem thin skinned when people talk down on the university and athletic program. I have heard numerous ex players over the years say the reason they chose UH is they felt like family there rather than just a number at the other places that recruited them.

The sleeping giant has been awoken. GO COOGS !!

1 person likes this.
  14. no.3 for no.1

no.3 for no.1 Member

That boy Val Modus...bp this weekend?

15. adboy

adboy Member

totally agree with this, but nowadays UH is going out of its way to change this negative perception of itself. This is just one part of the puzzle

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Local players just dont want to play at U of H

Signed
    Tom Penders :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The only way for UH not to be a commuter school would be in making the campus not suck. Everything is too spread out, and it is surrounded by nothing. It's why I chose to go to UT, campus life is an underrated aspect of the entire college experience.

It's extremely hard to change the culture of the school after the fact.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's changed a considerable amount in 10 years, and the next 10 will likely be changing even faster.

http://www.uh.edu/about/initiatives/masterplan/