1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U of F president: Richard Spencer hoping for violence to build movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind that the university is spending a half a million dollars on security for this neo-nazi to speak, money being taken away from educating students. So allowing racists to speak on a university? Why not let ISIS come and speak on campus as well?

I true hope the idiot AntiFa movement stays away and realizes they are just being used as a pawn and the best thing everything people can do here is throw flowers at these people, not rocks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-florida-president-richard-spencer/779149001/

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oh dear those Antifa militants with their blacks and guns. Let's pray they don't kill anyone or overthrow the government I hate.

Sweet Jesus.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Those Nazis... fine people, very fine people.

I'd be pissed if they were using my tuition to pay for this garbage.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Every time there's a riot at a white nationalist event, their cause grows.

I'm afraid the left will never figure this out and just keep feeding the monster.

Here is how you defeat guys like Spencer.

[​IMG]

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I get it, but educating students is not a university's only function. It's a place to teach and learn, to research, to write, to think, to philosophize, and be a marketplace of ideas. White supremacy is an idea in the market and universities, unfortunately, are the right place to debate it. Spending a half-million on that is as much within the mission as teaching some 19 year old calculus. I think so far our universities have been pretty dysfunctional about debating it. Whenever you need to spend money on extra security so you can talk about an idea, you must have some dysfunction.

I don't think antifa is any friend of ours in this. They want to sow discord as much as the white supremacists do. I don't think they are pawns in this; these are like 2 industry rivals who collaborate to grow the overall market. They might compete with one another, but they are measuring success by gross revenue, not market share.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  7. CometsWin

I completely disagree. Is it a university function to debate the merits of Al-Qaeda or ISIS by allowing them a forum to discuss their ideas? Hell no. These Nazis are terrorists. Period. That they're white supremacist terrorists merely means they have cover from this administration and that millions of people turn a blind eye to them because they share their race and a lot of their anti-immigrant, white America first rhetoric. It's a soft pedaling of terrorism that has no place at universities. Their targeting of universities is merely their method of recruitment of angry young white men. Colleges are the drive through of white supremacy, easy access to a vulnerable, sometimes sympathetic crowd. White supremacy and modern conservatism are melding together more and more each day. Endorsing hate speech advocacy to come to a place where students live and learn is horseshit. The responsibility a university has to provide a safe learning environment for paying customers overrides the rights of white supremacist trash to create havoc by creating an intimidating, even violent environment dripping in hatred. That paying students must abide by a code of conduct that does not apply to white supremacists outsiders is beyond absurd.

#8 CometsWin, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Where the hell do you guys find these nutcase right wing sites from? Does Drudge still act as a repository of fringe right wing conspiracy sites, or do they go to reddit everyday for their news?

I made the mistake of clicking the Astrodome link and the first thing I see is antifa mug shots along with the photo of the Vegas shooter. Ahh.. so the Vegas shooter was Antifa now... GOT IT.

I hope one day you guys realize how you need help... or to get laid or something. Geezus. Its beautiful outside today. Get off the internet.

peleincubus and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^This the most "many people" "both sides" post since the infamous Trump press conference.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

City, County, State, FBI, & State Dept. level designated DTOs, FTOs, and/or associated individuals should not be allowed to secure permits for speaking, marching, protesting, etc... That is a clear abuse of "Free Speech" and not protected by 1st Amendment or Supreme Court due to "True Threat." In fact, even requesting (signifies an action/intention of True Threat) a permit by said designated groups should be subject to arrest.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

CometWins has a point. You can have discussions and debate around Islamic fundamentalism and its merits without inviting Islamic clerics who declare western culture as evil to speak at the University. It's one thing to have a right-winger come speak to challenge students minds, it's another to have an alt-right white supremacist force their way in and burn away a university's budget when their goal is to provoke violence.

Let's be clear, his objective is to provoke a violent reaction - not to give a speech to students. If there was a large contingent of university students who had invited him to speak without fanfare, that would be one thing. That is not the case.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Point being any kind of violence against these groups is what they seek so they can play the victim and appeal for support.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think my response was incomplete because it builds on all the things I've said before about supremacists speaking on campus. I remember all the other stuff I said but it is probably not realistic for me to expect everyone else has. So, to embroider a little more. Spencer and these other guys are opportunists taking advantage of the public university system. They aren't acting in good faith and they are part of the dysfunction. Another part of the dysfunction I see is that we've handcuffed our public universities with interpreting the law such that refusal of such parties would constitute a suppression of free speech by the government. There is a reason these things happen at public universities and you don't see a place like Rice University have such controversies. But, past that dysfunction, the university is a place to talk rationally about the merits of white supremacy and Muslim fundamentalism and everything else. The one thing I would like to fix is to give public university administrations the same latitude to control their own forums that private universities have. It would then be possible (but not required) to entertain debate of unpopular ideas on their own terms.

Richie_Rich and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Bigotry is blasphemy.

-- George W. Bush

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  15. CometsWin

As a society we dismiss things out of hand because we know through our history and through past discussion that they have no merit. Nazism, and the Klan have a history and we've collectively dismissed it as terrorism. What's different now? Why do some shrug their shoulders and claim it's the right of terrorists to advocate because they're dressed in khakis and have crew cuts. Why do we need to provide a platform in the public sphere to engage in what we've already decided is nothing but irrational, hateful nonsense? If there was an ideology that at its core attacked whites as inferior, attacked their rights as Americans, portrayed them as not worthy of even being in this country, nobody would stand for it. What's different here? Why is hate speech and the need to force others to hear it the primary domain of angry white men?

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

17. dmoneybangbang

Yep... the media is for profit. A provocateur like Spencer knows this.

18. dmoneybangbang

Because they are weak and this is what weak people do, make themselves feel superior.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The guy is a loser - which is why no one shows up in support of him at these events, but instead to run him out.