1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(TV) The Last Kingdom - Netflix

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, May 8, 2017.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've read the Last Kingdom novels (formerly The Saxon Stories) as they've come out and there has been about ten of them. They're far better than this cable series, and the series is surprisingly good. The main character is well cast, even if he's much shorter than he's portrayed by Cornwell (who has him somewhere past 6 feet). What is great, in my opinion (and I think this about Game of Thrones), is that it's MA, since his novels certainly can be. Uhtred rogers numerous women across Briton, both in print and on the screen. I think this has been a better adaptation/production than the Richard Sharpe series he's written about a British sergeant during the Napoleanic wars, who rises through the ranks and becomes a highly successful (and envied) officer, another series of novels adapted for television. Sharpe is one more unforgettable character from Cornwell.

I've been a fan of Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction for years. I think I've read everything he's written. He's one of the best. It would be particularly hard to surpass Cornwell when it comes to battle scenes, which can be stunning. He's amazing and has a way of making his work seem so authentic, bringing history to life while writing a damn good story, something that's difficult to do, in my opinion. I recommend all of his work, but this series may be his best. I guess it's obvious that I like his stuff!

#21 Deckard, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I've only read a few, about early England, and they were indeed fantastic. You get very engrossed with the characters. I will have to read more of them.

Deckard likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You could read the series.

I'm just saying.

Deckard likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's what I was trying to suggest to everyone in my post above. These novels aren't 800 pages, like Martin's can be. They're more like 300. Give them a try, DD! You'll still enjoy the rest of the series on Netflix. Hey, I'm waiting for season 3 myself.

As an aside, Cornwell just came out with either the first of a new series, or a stand alone historical novel. Don't know yet because it's sitting on a table at home, waiting to be read. It's about Shakespeare's younger brother Richard, the theatre at that time, and conflict Richard has with his older brother, William. It sounds great. Right up @Batman's alley (and mine). It's fiction, it's quite different than most of Cornwell's novels, from the sound of it, and few can compare with Bernard Cornwell. The title is below. Another interesting tidbit? Cornwell has written a play about it.

[​IMG]

#24 Deckard, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    TheFreak and RudyTBag like this.
  5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

season 3 came out today. been forever.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I was about to roll my eyes if this thread got bumped for someone discovering it a couple years too late ( while expecting some new news)

Thanks for the update

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As a refresher, I just re-watched the last episode of season 2. Forgot just how good it was. If anybody wants a show to "binge", try this one. First two seasons are only 16 episodes total.

Starting season 3 later today.

FranchiseBlade and Deckard like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Watched first 2 episodes of season 3 last night....love this series.

DD

FranchiseBlade and daywalker02 like this.
  9. omgTHEpotential

Please.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good news! Thanks. We get along OK outside of D&D. ;)

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this show is so underrated, the actor that plays Uhtred does a fantastic job

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. Entropy

Entropy Member

What I love about his Last Kingdom series is the hindsight that pervades Uhtred's narration and Cornwell's ability to bring back minor threads mentioned early on and make them payoff in a satisfying way several books later. That's Bernard "Never Disappoints" Cornwell for you.

FranchiseBlade and Deckard like this.
  13. Entropy

Entropy Member

The actor who plays Alfred is awesome too!

Deckard likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Thank you for this post!

Forgot about this because it's been so long. Will binge tonight!

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more. Cornwell's decision to have the main character looking back at his life is brilliant, in my opinion. It works beautifully. Also agree with you, Entropy, that the actor who plays Alfred the Great (the only English monarch with "the Great" attached to his name, btw) was very well cast, particularly if you have read the novels. We'll be watching the beginning of season 3 after the Rockets game. I'm exercising self-control. ;)

daywalker02 and Entropy like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Have not started yet but is it even fantasy to compare both? Guess not.

17. omgTHEpotential

I guess it's reasonable, but to say it's way better than GOT is ludicrous.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Finished season 3 and it goes to another level. 10 episodes were perfect but it was so good I wanted more.

Apparently Netflix took total control for S3 and invested more resources into production. Bravo to them.

I expect a renewal announcement for S4 very soon.

If some of you start watching from the very beginning, be patient for the first few episodes of S1 where it might come across like a cheap knockoff of Vikings. The show does nothing but improve from there.

9/10

DaDakota, Deckard, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's good to hear. I am looking forward to continuing this.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Not exactly a diverse cast, but I will check it out.