1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Expanse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Based on the excellent book series by James SA Corey

(I know there's a thread about this somewhere but my searches for 'expanse' and 'leviathan' found nothing)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8X5gXIQmY-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From official site:

A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.

This hour-long, ten episode series is based on the popular New York Times bestselling book series collectively known as The Expanse, written by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (under the pen name James S. A. Corey). Abraham and Franck will be show producers. The multi-installment, best-selling book series is published in 17 countries, including China, France, Japan, Australia, Canada, Germany and the United Kingdom. One in the series, Leviathan Wakes, was nominated for a Hugo Award as well as a Locus Award, while “Caliban’s War” was nominated for a Locus Award.

Thomas Jane (Hung, The Punisher) will play the lead character of Detective Miller, a native of the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Detective Miller works for a corporate security force that operates as the law in the asteroid belt. Ragged and in search of something he can't identify, Miller finds a new sense of purpose when he's put in charge of the investigation of a missing heiress.

Shohreh Aghdashloo (The House of Sand and Fog, 24, House of Saddam) will portray Chrisjen Avasarala, a smart and passionate member of a political family legacy who has risen high in the ranks of Earth's governing body.

Steven Strait (Magic City, City Island, 10,000 B.C.) will play Holden, an officer on the ice-carrying freighter, the Canterbury. Holden is a natural leader who's not sure he wants responsibility, but will soon have no choice when he is drawn into a dangerous plot.

Other series regulars include Dominique Tipper (Vampire Academy), Cas Anvar (Olympus), Wes Chatham (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay) and Florence Falvre (Alpha House, The Following). Jonathan Banks (Community, Breaking Bad), Paulo Costanzo (Royal Pains) and Jay Hernandez (Nashville, Gang Related) will appear as guest stars during the first season.

The Expanse is produced by Alcon Television Group, a division of Alcon Entertainment. Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Alfonso Cuaron’s Children of Men, Iron Man) wrote the pilot; they will continue to serve as writers, as well as executive producers. Alcon's co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson will serve as executive producers with Sharon Hall. Alcon Television executive Ben Roberts will serve as co-producer. Ben Cook will serve as producer. Sean Daniel (Graceland, The Mummy) and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Company developed the original pitch, with Fergus and Ostby, and will also executive produce.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Weird, I just ordered the fourth book in this series -- will definitely check it out.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The books are amazing. I have no doubt SyFy with ruin it.

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'll watch it. I read the first book, and thought it was OK. I didn't really fall in love with any of the characters. I do think it could be a good TV show.

5. KingCheetah

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

where does crystal meth come into play??

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I watch, but been very disappointed in SyFy channel lately. Most the stuff they put out these days is crap.

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

The books are outstanding. They remind me a bit of Firefly. All indications from the first episode recently shown at Comic-Con are that it will be very good. I can't wait.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm curious to see how this pans out, have heard nothing but good things about the books.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I didn't know Brett Falvre's sister was an actress!

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

deep breath* SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

First episode is up a couple weeks before it's air date! I guess they are trying to do the same thing they did with Mr. Robot. Could this be the next Battlestar Galactica?

I liked it! It was kind of tough figuring out what was going on this episode and the first couple minutes were a little heavy on the cgi, but my body is ready.

Furthermore, Dominique Tipper.
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FvZeQD1Vf2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. Newlin

Newlin Member

The first episode is on Comcast On Demand also.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I did not know it started already

Rocket River

16. KingCheetah

Didn't realize they were already streaming it on YouTube -- awesome.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Just the first episode. The official premier date is late December. I hope it's a 2 hour premier so the people who have already watched it won't have to wait even longer for another episode.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Don't know much about this series but am looking forward with dread to Childhood's End. I expect SyFy to totally **** that up.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just watched the first episode. Cool premise. Count me in on watching this show.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just finished the first 4 episodes.

I don't get the hype, yet. No doubt the show has potential but the online reviews overstate how good it is IMO.

The plotlines start out very disjointed and it's starting to come together slowly. We'll see if it delivers.