1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Disney+] Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/4/17924674/star-wars-tv-show-the-mandalorian-jon-favreau

Disney may be slowing down its production of Star Wars movies, but there’s still plenty of Star Wars action on the horizon. Star Wars has boasted many animated series and will be bringing a “few” shows to Disney’s streaming service. At least one of them is the live-action series which was officially revealed as The Mandalorian on Oct. 3.

The idea of a live-action Star Wars series was first introduced in 2005, as a show that would’ve explored the world of underground crime during the time period between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. The project, under the working title Star Wars: Underworld, was never fully realized.

The Mandalorian comes in the new age of Star Wars, the world of the sequel trilogy and the spinoff movies, where the Expanded Universe has been rebranded; thus, this show will be totally different from the previous effort.

Here’s everything we know about the live-action Star Wars TV show.

WHO ARE THE MANDALORIANS?
    A proud and warmongering people, the Mandalorians were featured heavily in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The Mandalorians were at odds with the Republic. The events of The Clone Wars take place after Mandalore was ravaged by a civil war. An era of peace was ushered in by Duchess Satine Kryze, who banished those unwilling to keep the peace to a nearby moon. Unfortunately, during Star Wars: The Clone Wars this pacifist regime was overthrown by Darth Maul’s Shadow Collective and Mandalore was subsequently ruled by the Galactic Empire.

While not originally from Mandalore, the bounty hunter Boba Fett and his father Jango wore Mandalorian armor, keeping the legends of the fearsome warriors alive.

WHO’S ATTACHED?
    Jon Favreau, director of Iron Man and Iron Man 2, is set to executive-produce and write the show. In addition to his Marvel directing credentials, Favreau voiced Pre Vizsla, leader of the Mandalorian Death Watch faction in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Rio Durant, the little four-armed alien dude in the beginning of Solo: A Star Wars Story, so he’s no stranger to the Star Wars universe.

Contrary to what one might think, Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weissare are not attached to a live-action Star Wars series; instead, they will be helming a new film trilogy.

Update (Oct. 5): In addition to Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy and Colin Wilson will also executive-produce, and Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Lined up to direct episodes are Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones, Mr. Robot), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope, Confirmation), Bryce Dallas Howard (co-star of Jurassic World), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok, What We Do in the Shadows). Dave Filoni, who worked on Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels, will direct the first episode.

WHAT’S THE PLOT?
    Favreau announced on Instagram that The Mandalorian would be about a new warrior, inspired by the stories of Boba and Jango Fett.

“We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic,” he wrote.

Both Mandalore and its bounty hunters have been hugely popular with Star Wars fans for years.

There’s also gonna be some cool-looking aliens — Favreau also said he plans to use the same motion-capture technology he used while working on 2016’s The Jungle Book.

WHEN IS THE SHOW SET?
    Favreau said on Instagram that the show would be set “after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order.”

More specifically, it will be set three years after the end of Return on the Jedi. [Note: Previous reports indicated that it was to be set seven years afterward, but that has been corrected. It is instead seven years after the Battle of Yavin from A New Hope.] The 30-year gap between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens is proving to be rich grounds for adaptations. New animated Disney series Star Wars: Resistance also takes place in this gap, though closer to the events of The Force Awakens.

WHERE IS THIS SHOW SET?
    The world of Star Wars is vast and full of far-off planets and galaxies, so the setting options are very much open. Mandalore is probably a shoe-in, but expect other familiar planets to make appearances, in addition to new locations. There are also reports that some filming is being done in a coastal location.

WHERE CAN I WATCH THIS?
    The series will stream exclusively on Disney’s streaming platform, tentatively titled Disney Play. The service is expected to debut sometime in the fall of 2019. There is not yet a price attached to the service, but it’s said to be “substantially cheaper” than Netflix’s $10.99 a month.

WHEN’S IT COMING OUT?
    Though filming will reportedly start soon, there is not yet a release date for this series. Considering that Star Wars: Episode IX is coming out on Dec. 19, 2019, and the platform itself doesn’t launch until fall of 2019, expect a 2020 release date at the very earliest.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This sounds really interesting to me. I am really looking forward to it.

Deckard and justtxyank like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

When the hell are we getting the Darth Vader slasher film!

don grahamleone and FLASH21 like this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Rumors saying Pedro Pascal (Oberyn from GoT) will play the main protagonist, would be a great choice.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Looks cool. Taika Waititi and Jon Favreau are involved? I'm in.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Ahem, you mean Javier Pena from Narcos! Also, that'd be a really good casting.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So ready for this!!!!

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm sure one of these shows will turn out good, but for now, I have a bad feeling about this.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Name one bad thing Carl Weathers has been in.

BabyClutch, FLASH21 and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

True. You've convinced me to give this one a chance.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"There IS no tomorrow!!!! There IS no tomorrow!!!!"

Deckard and MadMax like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh man. Please let that be true.

Good actor, enjoyable persona. Would be a great fit. Lots of good names attached to it. I have high hopes for this one. Hopefully it's not weaksauce.

Deckard likes this.
  13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]

14. Buck Turgidson

It's twue, it's twue.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He can do no wrong.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'll watch it just for Gina Carano

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

I see this as plausible. The Madalorians in the video game were boring, however, I think you put this guy into odyssey like adventures and we might have something. Plus you have the potential for mixing it up with some of the old and new characters. This will all hinge on getting one good actor.

The mission to slaughter the teddy bears will be great. But a mandalorian has to do what a Mandalorian has to do.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

O.M.G! This looks AMAZING!!!

I mean, The Mandalorian has got IG-88 by his side!

[​IMG]

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

That legit looks pretty good. Haven't been excited about anything Star Wars lately but I can't wait for this.

Deuce likes this.