1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[TV] AMC's Preacher

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My all-time favorite (adult-themed) comic about an ordained minister who has a power called Word of God that makes everyone do what he says, his gun-toting girlfriend, his BFF vampire and sometimes nemesis, an immortal cowboy-era gunslinger called Saint of Killers (and those are just a few of the cool characters). Words can't explain how awesome this comic is.

[​IMG]

AMC Is Taking PREACHER To Pilot

With the loss of Breaking Bad and soon Mad Men, AMC is looking at a big hole in their schedule, one that shows like The Killing and Low Winter Sun haven't quite been able to fill. While they have the ratings juggernaut that is The Walking Dead, they still need something that will be a buzz show, that will get a ton of attention and make a cultural impact. They're betting that show will be Preacher.

Sources tell me that the network has ordered a pilot based on the classic Vertigo comic by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. In the comic Jesse Custer is a small town preacher who is torn by booze and sin and who finds himself the vessel for a strange entity - the child of a mating between an angel and a demon. Filled with immense power, including The Word of God, which makes anyone do whatever he says, Jesse goes hunting for the Lord Almighty, who has abandoned creation. He aims to make him pay for leaving his children behind. Joining Jesse on his journey is his ex-girlfriend Tulip, who is now a hit woman, and a hundred year old Irish vampire named Cassidy. Along the way they battle secret religious commandoes, the r****ded descendent of Christ, a guy who ****s meat and even each other.

The comic is profane and blasphemous, and if AMC takes it to series they're showing a commitment to upping the R-rated quality of what we've seen on The Walking Dead. It isn't so much that Preacher is hyper-violent - although it can be - but rather that it tackles hot-button religious issues with all the subtlety and grace of a loud wet fart in church.

Preacher has been out in the world of almost getting adapted for a while; it all started back in 1998 when Garth Ennis wrote a draft of a script and Kevin Smith tried to get Harvey Weinstein to make it. Along the way we've seen people like Rachel Talaly, DJ Caruso and Sam Mendes attached to direct. I don't know who is attached to the TV series, but I hear the names are big and impressive.

The sprawling, road trip nature of the comic lends itself to TV more than movies in my opinion. I think AMC will take the show right to the edge (if it goes to series), and I wouldn't be shocked to discover they shoot alternate, crazier versions for Netflix and home video. And of course going to series is the next big hump; this property has been floundering in adaptation for a lot of years, and there's no guarantee this version will get any farther than previous ones.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sounds very interesting...throw it out there...I'd definitely watch.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Does it focus on mocking Christians a la Dogma? I am not a Christian but I find that trite.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm a Christian, and I loved Dogma.

5. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

Comics > tv and movies

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll give it a shot. Not much on now worth watching anyway.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Meh not really, certainly not the focus. One of the best graphic novels ever, I am not really a comic guy and still really enjoyed it.

A lot of the success of the transition to television is who plays Preacher and if they can get the gritty quality of it to transfer to film. This isn't anything like most other comics.... It is dark, for the most part not unrealistic and very much character driven. If it is done well, it will be a must watch.

8. Xerobull

Do you enjoy any sort of religious based entertainment, like the Thor movies? They're based on religion but make it fun and take it way out of context. Same with The Exorcist. Etc, etc, ad nauseam in pop culture.

Like Nook said, not really a Christian focus, as each comic doesn't start with a sermon. But there are obvious Christian undertones & plot devices. It's not preachy at all. It's mostly it's a comic about some bad-ass characters and their adventures.

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

10. Xerobull

Can't wait.

[​IMG]

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The attachment of Seth Rogen gives me more excitement.

13. Xerobull

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UNgI2sRzr8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This could be something I could be interested in. The characters sound great. Hopefully they don't **** it up.

15. Xerobull

That's my ardent hope, too...but it's AMC, and they have a fairly good track record.

They already changed Cassidy up a bit- he always wore sunglasses in the comic. But I can live with it.

[​IMG]

16. VanityHalfBlack

Haven't read the comics but by the trailer it doesn't seem to have any comedy in it. Why does every show nowadays have to be bleak and dark in the vain of true detective or a Walking dead? Can't shows be fun anymore? Like Ash vs Evil Dead??? Give me fun, throw in a joke or two, Jesus!

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

You should check out Z Nation.

18. Xerobull

PREACHER Will Premiere At SXSW 2016; Check Out A New Image Of 'Jesse Custer'

Some additions to the lineup for the 2016 South by Southwest film festival have been announced, and among them is the pilot episode of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's small-screen adaptation of controversial comic series, Preacher. Take a look at a new image from the show...

It's just been announced that AMC's Preacher will premiere at the SXSW film festival, which will run from March 11-20. We also have an updated synopsis and new image from the show, featuring Dominic Cooper as the Reverend Jesse Custer taking a little smoke break in church. To find out what else will be joining Preacher at the festival, click the link below.

[​IMG]

Preacher is a supernatural, twisted and darkly comedic drama that follows a West Texas preacher named Jesse Custer, who – along with his ex-girlfriend Tulip and an Irish vagabond named Cassidy – is thrust into a crazy world, much bigger than he is.

Directed by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and co-written by Sam Catlin, Preacher also stars Ruth Negga, Joseph Gilgun, Ian Colletti, W. Earl Brown, and Lucy Griffiths.

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I just don't see how they are going to do the pure blood church and God stuff. Wished this was on like hbo or starz. Ill watch but I don't know how they are going to get away with half of the stuff from the comics. Guess cut out arse face. But keep the Duke.m?

20. Xerobull

It's AMC- they will make it work.