1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's growing black support scares Dems

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dachuda86, Nov 28, 2019.

1. TheresTheDagger

Point taken.

Nook likes this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Take a non-political perspective on this. They are in a competition. Right or wrong, competition is intrinsic between all groups of people. People will work together when mutually beneficial, but they want what's best for their own families, their own people over others. They could love everyone and honor their responsibility to their own at the same time.

Polls like the ones linked in this thread and extra information from this make me believe that black support of Trump is greater than it usually is for past republican candidates. Personal experience leads me to believe that black men support Trump more than black women. For the most part, men support Trump more than women do, but black women seem to be more liberal than other groups of women so that led me to believe that black men's support is relatively greater.

Also, polls offer anonymity and have no consequences tied to them. This applies to support of Trump because everyone is catching flak for supporting him nowadays, but minorities catch more, especially from their own.

Your peers are like you as most of everyone's peers are. You're probably young, they're probably young, so it doesn't surprise me that they see Trump as you do. I do wonder if they are being completely honest with you if revealing their true opinion would cause a negative reaction in you. Either way, no one should use their own peers' agreement with them as evidence of a phenomenon they're trying to explain or disprove.

Also, I don't understand why voting for Trump was the biggest mistake they ever made. They sound dramatic.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I call this a Trumpadox: When someone contradicts themselves within a few sentences in the same post or speech.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean sure, everyone is in competition, I was just arguing against the idea that black people as a whole (or some majority) see Latinos as competition, I'm sure if there were a poll you'd only find a small amount of that would agree with that idea and it would probably be congruent with the amount of black right wingers in the country.

I don't know man, from my experience, it's just not something you hear a lot of unless you are in a right-wing bubble. I always see the opposite, tbh, in that you have prominent AAs that fight against the wall and you have prominent hispanics that speak out on police brutality or other issues that are seen as AA issues. I think any civil rights activist worth their salt knows you can't pick and choose...an injustice anywhere and all that.

I always felt like this whole thing has always been right wingers stirring the pot and there are plenty of prominent right wingers who think it is a good strategy to get black americans to go against latino americans. I know someone like Ann Coulter has always shouted this strategy at the top of her lungs hoping some right-wing politician picks up on it.

I remember that one convention or whatever it was Candace Owen was speaking about this issue, talking about how Latinos will replace black americans if we don't do something about immigration and she was openly booed.

I think as far as competition goes...the main competition I see is the history of laws and discrimination that have held down black people and I don't see people from Mexico or Central America writing those laws. I think in the end, marginalized groups are going to empathize with each other before they go at each other's throat...despite all the pot stirring that some on the right try to do between these groups.

5. JumpMan

I didn't say those personal experiences were with peers. They were observations outside of the information in this tread.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Anecdotes right? They are anecdotes. You told him don't use anecdotes, and you used anecdotes. Hence a Trumpadox because not only did the contradiction occur within the same thread, it happened in the same post, a couple of sentences apart.

Your personal experiences shouldn't matter if you are willing to tell someone else their personal experiences don't matter especially when you extrapolate an absurd take that his friends are too afraid to speak the truth to them because you are upset the poster criticises Trump more than you personally would like on an internet message board.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Let us revisit with an i told you so come the day after election day... do you want me to publically shame you or send you a PM?

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Annnd three. But those are from rigged polls... wait for CNN who is fair and balanced.lol

I will say I find landline polling to be flawed so how true? Time will tell. Of course maybe they account for it with online methodology to best balance it. It may indicate more responsible elderly blacks support him because who
    under 40 has a landline these days? These would be voter types though.

Again I say we should take a poll with a grain of salt but three is much better than one. And could indicate a trend.

I stand by the title of this thread until I see multiple polls indicating the opposite.

#68 dachuda86, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  9. JumpMan

Poor word choice on my part. Maybe personal observations or personal deductions would have been more appropriate. I don't know. I did mention some of those "personal experiences" in the sentence right after the statement you focussed on (men supporting Trump more than women, and black women being more liberal than other women). Either way, you could have your Trumpadox, but I would say my anecdotes, as you call them, go beyond the anecdotal.

His personal experience was with his peers. That's a very small and exclusive circle. What value would you give that when attempting to explain or disprove something? To me, his discussions with his peers aren't enough to dissuade me from seeing merit in these polls and they don't disprove my hypothesis that black men support Trump at a greater rate than other men relative to women in the same groups.

This thread is about Trump's support among black Americans. It doesn't have to be necessarily about Trump. You could critique the polls, whether or not the democrats should fear that support, whether or not black Americans support or should support him, or something like that without having to make your critique much about Trump. My two-cents was about why they might support him and wondered if black men support him at a higher clip relative to other men. I say that to say that I don't have a problem with people criticizing Trump.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Explaining it won't help. They are just going for whatever weakness in a post they can dig at... The numbers show one thing. Another side says no it doesn't seem right. I guess we will see what happens won't we?

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

LOL.... you killing me... Young... I remember when the Rockets played st Hofienz... My father took me too a couple of games...

But you keep believing in those polls, go for it... But make sure you also believe in them when they are give you info you don't agree with..

I take all these polls with a grain of salt...

And you sound non black, trying to speak for blacks... Too hilarious...

T_Man

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When your guy loses, will you publicly shame yourself?

13. Nook

Nook Member

True, except it isn’t happening.

14. Nook

Nook Member

It is also Rasmussen polling.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

plus two others... so i guess they are all Trumpers eh.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Did you look at the polling methods? Have you looked at black approval ratings for Trump? Have you looked at what Trump’s support has been in the black community the last three years? Do you really believe that suddenly in a month’s time his approval rating has gone from 8-11% to 30%?

If you want to play this game, and assume that the black support for Trump has gone from 8-10/11% (possible) then the polling indicators are that his support among white people has fallen.

Trump is where he has been since he was elected. He had a lot of things go well for him that got him narrow wins. He is now an incumbent which gives him advantages, but he is also a caustic and corrupt person most people loath. It will come down to turnout and how well the democratic nominee does running their campaign.

There isn’t a sudden ground swell or wave of black support for Trump. The overwhelming majority have made up their mind good or bad about Trump. Love him or hate him, he is polarizing.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When you either site an outlier poll or you make a statement that an irregularity happened at one point in time so all polls are rubbish... nobody should EVER take your statements seriously.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The fact is the aggregate polling of black support of Trump has been consistently bad. One can argue why that is, but the fact that-

-unemployment is low
    -he has endorsements from people like Kanye
    -He formerly was idolized in hip hop for years

Tells you he’s actually doing ALOT to personally turn off African Americans. In all respects he should be much higher. It’s not us... it’s on him basically. He’s to blame. Comments like “sh$thole countries“, “Very fine people“, and “go back to where you came from” take a toll on your likability among communities of color. Not to mention blatant racist policies.

If Trump can manage to get through the next 10 months without his usual racism than maybe he’ll gain 2 to 5 points in polling among African Americans but you are relying on Trump not being Trump and is there ANY evidence he’s the least bit interested in turning down the White Power volume??? And even if he gains, the fact is the likely nominee is Joe Biden who is extremely popular consistently in the aggregate polling with African American voters.

The only way I see Trump turning a major swing with African American voters is if Mayor Pete manages to win the nomination and he cannot make in roads with black voters. He is the one Dem who is really struggling with that electorate. Even then he’s more likely to win over black support than Trump.

#78 dobro1229, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You sound like you're talking about someone's pet dogs.

mdrowe00, BaselineFade, Nook and 2 others like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

With Trump having a 35% approval from black voters, there is no way the DEM can win. The GOP would retake the House and get a supermajority in the Senate. The traditional trump supporters do not even need to turn out - the black got this covered. Sit home and enjoy the blockbuster win in 2020. For those that point to 2018 - Trump wasn't on the ballot, so those do not count.

FranchiseBlade likes this.