1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to impose tariff on steel and aluminium, geaux Trump!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2018.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's going to show up in the jobs numbers eventually.

2. adoo

adoo Member

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-trade-war-japan-tariffs-on-cars-2018-9

The Dotard's next big target for a trade war, Japan.

• Japan imported over $40 billion of cars into the US last year.
    • This development comes as the US prepares to impose fresh tariffs on up to $200 billion of Chinese goods.

meanwhile, at the Ambrosetti Economic Forum at Lake Como, Italy, former governor of the PBoC,,Zhou Xiaochuan, told CNBC global business correspondent, Steve Segwick, that patience is China's strongest virtue,

w the innuendo that China will wait untilafter the mid-term election in US to begin serious negotiation to resolve the trade conflict.
    the assumption is that the Dotard will be on much weaker political footing​

#842 adoo, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Doesn't matter. Ford importing a car to the domestic market that is made in the PRC is a redline. The implication is they can make it here, or sell it where they sell their other PRC produced cars.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Hey Apple, 4 years ago you should planned on the stupidity of my Presidency and moved your manufacturing to the USA.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Can you buy a phone that is made in the USA?

7. juicystream

People seem ignorant to the fact that the economy takes time to adjust. It doesn't happen overnight. My clients that rely on raw materials are struggling with rising costs right now.

Xenon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Though I wonder if many trump supporters shop at Walmart...

Walmart warns Trump's tariffs may force it to hike prices
    • Walmart said that it may hike prices of products if the Trump administration imposes a tariff on Chinese imports.
    • The retailer warned about the price hikes in a letter the company wrote to U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer two weeks ago.
    • In its list of consumer products that could be affected by these tariffs, Walmart included gas grills, bicycles, Christmas lights, and bicycles.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/walmart-warns-trumps-tariffs-may-force-it-to-hike-prices.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

TLDR - there is no trickle down and these workers are finally realizing it

jo mama likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like that Walmart included both bicycles and bicycles on their list. Well, hopefully, it won't affect the price of bicycles.

11. juicystream

This aspect doesn't really bother me.

12. adoo

adoo Member

show us that ur not ignorant by describing / addressing the "implications"

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

doesn't bother me either... BUT

They are going to be able to absorb the increase and maybe pass down some of the cost to consumer.

The real small business folks aren't able to do that. Many will not be able to absorb the increase themselves and they can't pass down the additional cost either. So while cost increase for everyone, it's more likely that the large company will be able to survive through it while the small guys will belly up.

juicystream likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

For many reasons this is good for americans and also good for the chinese slave wagers. Bad for walmart workers maybe but they are already behind the 8-ball due to automation. It's a very good thing if prices for chinese crap edges up closer to custom/niche/specialty manufactures with superior products. Might encourage local manufacturers to enter low end market.

15. NewRoxFan

Curious how those people that routinely shop at Walmart because of affordable prices will see it as good for Americans?

16. ipaman

Stop spending their money on chinese crap and maybe start saving. The low price IS the justification for buy crap you don't need for many of these folks. Lower and middle class that save money is great indicator for economy.

17. NewRoxFan

I suspect that advice won't go over well with people of middle and below income levels who live in towns where Walmarts are their main place to shop... but hey, maybe trump and republican leadership should pitch that to the public?

18. ipaman

bad for trump, good for economy maybe but two different things and i don't care about trump approval ratings. it's good for economy imo and that's a good thing.

19. juicystream

People spending money on crap is kind of what makes the economy go.

20. ipaman

eh... if it's chinese crap then it makes china's economy go and by economy i don't mean the chinese slave laborers.

i'm no economist but i think property/asset ownership, healthy savings, low/no cc debt, and an educated, healthy, large labor force are pillars of a good economy. But again, i'm not an expert so i'm not sure where superfluous chinese crap products fall in that list.