1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to declare national emergency to build border wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Feb 14, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Maybe they just don't know how to delegate. lol

JuanValdez likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

The likely options... there really isn't an emergency, or... if there is one, that trump doesn't care. Your choice.

dachuda86 likes this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Sounds like he should do more because of the masses of migrants. So probably the second and that is a fair point. He should get something done instead of working on his putt.

#684 dachuda86, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  5. NewRoxFan

Did you even bother to read the last sentence of the excerpt you posted?

6. NewRoxFan

Emboldened by the Mueller report, trump begins diverting money from our military to fund his vanity wall...

BruceAndre likes this.
  7. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

There are many open spaces in existing border wall in the McAllen area. The Brownsville area has some open sections, but not as many.

I live about 3 miles from the border on the outskirts of Brownsville(Cameron County) in a rural area where there is a border wall. In the past, my gf (who has lived here for over 20 years) says she has not seen any illegals crossing through her property(over 2 acres) since our area of the border wall has been built, whereas she had seen them before. I've been living there for the last five years and never seen any.

McAllen area(Hidalgo County) has quite a few large gaps. Even though the Mcallen mayor claims there is no problem, he is looking to Washington for help

https://www.themonitor.com/2019/03/24/week-immigration-issues-mcallen-seeks-help-washington/
    After a week of immigration issues, McAllen seeks help from Washington

https://www.themonitor.com/2019/03/...arling-candid-immigration-issues-facing-city/
    McAllen Mayor Jim Darling candid on immigration issues facing the city

My point is, from what I have seen, living down here 3 miles from the border, is that the walls work. They may not work 100%, but at the very least, they don't allow anyone to walk in without missing a beat.

My vote is to finish building the wall.

*edit* I just double checked on google maps....I live two miles from the nearest point on the border.

#687 Falcons Talon, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    JuanValdez likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Shocked... a trump supporter also supporting the wall. Shocked I tell you.

OK, that wasn't fair and apologize... and appreciate your local resident opinions. But I also know that many of your neighbors in Brownsville and other border areas disagree.

Local politicians (you'd expect): https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/n...cle_add58fe0-2f01-11e9-9784-3766cfc5897a.html

Local sheriffs oppose the wall: https://www.texasobserver.org/texas-border-sheriffs-there-is-no-crisis-and-we-dont-want-trumps-wall/

The local doicese: https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-would-destroy-this-historic-church-to-get-his-wall

Many people along the border: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article152694904.html
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mexico...deadline-brownsville-texas-river-bend-resort/
    https://www.khou.com/article/news/l...r-residents-oppose-border-wall-idea/276958429

9. dmoneybangbang

What is the “wall”? Trump has kept moving the goal posts, where are we at now? Are we hardening specific spots near population areas?

Obviously it won’t be a big beautiful wall from sea to sea and obviously Mexico won’t be paying for it.

10. Falcons Talon

Filemon Vela is expected. If Trump found the cure for cancer and would give it to the masses, Vela would oppose it.

Sherriff Guerra is doing what seems like a good job in McAllen, but what does the Border Patrol of the sector say? He talks about no border violence...look one county to the west, Star county. Holy shitake mushrooms, you can't turn on the local news without hearing about a murder, drug bust, chase, kidnapping.

This diocese is protecting a historical landmark that is the La Lomita Chapel, and opposing the wall is what the Catholic Church is telling all their congregations.

mcclatchydc article covers Presidio to Eagle Pass. The entire RGV is left out.

The River Bend area is a nice retirement community. I've golfed there many times. Of course, they don't want the wall splitting their community. I would be disturbed if where I live was split by border wall, but I would still support it.

IRT the KHOU article, first off, you do realize the demographics of the RGV. Down here you almost have to defy the border wall because of our "Heritage". You'd be hard pressed to find a Hispanic down here that does not have ties to someone just across the border, and for some reason, supporting a border wall is portrayed as betraying out heritage and culture. I'm speaking from experience. In my household, a certain SIL's father is not legal and there's no surprise that they despise Trump and his border wall...and that poll...It was a sampling from both sides of the border...
    In addition, Monsees, who is interviewed seems to be living in fear, "he sleeps in his truck next to his loaded rifle every night." He's not against a wall. He wants to know it is properly manned.
    Hell, I'm all for that too.

#690 Falcons Talon, Mar 26, 2019
  11. Falcons Talon

It seems to me that they are going to fill in the gaps, which I'm personally fine with.

12. NewRoxFan

Honestly didn't expect a trump supporter who strongly supports trump's vanity wall project to agree with my post. My point is that there are many people on along the border areas that oppose the wall for many reasons. Since I do want a stronger border security, I believe there are better ways to achieve it. I've mentioned some of those ways a number of times (increased hiring of BP agents, increased use of technology, increased enforcement of laws to reduce hiring of illegal aliens, increased work with Mexico and other countries to reduce illegal immigration, and yes, even enhancements of existing barriers where needed. These all seem better approaches that avoid issues that come with trump's vanity wall.

And I strongly disagree with trump's efforts to work around the system by diverting money from the military.

13. Falcons Talon

Just curious as to why you continue to throw out that Trump supporter mumbo-jumbo when addressing me. It would be nice to have a civilized, mature discussion. I don't give a crap who builds it. I didn't give a crap that Bush began it. I don't give a care if it has pink unicorns on it.

We're probably in agreement that there more resources needed to deal with the illegal immigration problem. I'm for all of the above. You're for all of the above except the wall.

He tried to do it other ways and was shut down and then ridiculed. What did you think was going to happen?

I'd rather he'd have used El Chapo's money.

#693 Falcons Talon, Mar 26, 2019
    cml750 likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

And I don’t see why we can’t do that and address the overall immigration. It seems we are more interested in a symbolic wall, not that the wall isnt effective but it doesn’t address the overall issue.

It seems symbolic when a bunch of business owners turned legislators don’t address employers. I think employers are more responsible for our situation than a border wall or lack of complete one.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I appreciate the local color, and the great map. I don't doubt that the wall works, depending on what you're defining what the wall's job is. I'm sure you're right that it prevents illegal aliens from walking across your girlfriend's acreage. But if your purpose is to limit overall illegal immigration, and half of that issue is visa overstays, it hasn't worked all that well.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  16. Falcons Talon

I have no qualms with that. I believe that there are laws in place to address that. Those laws need to be addressed as well, but human nature is that people will do what they are allowed to do.

This morning as I was doing my door duty between classes, I was speaking with a security guard and the tardy bell rang. A number of students were still in the hall. My school has a tardy policy which assigns detention and in school suspension after every 3 tardies, and students should not be allowed into class without a computer generated tardy pass from one of multiple stations. The tardy bell rang and security asked if the students needed tardy passes. They said no, since the teacher does not count tardies and walked into class late and unobstructed. Not surprisingly, security said its always kids from the teachers that don't enforce the tardy policy that are always walking the halls late to class.
    I lock my door and do not let in students without that pass. Of course, there are a few that don't care about tardies and are always late, but for the most part, there are no tardy issues in my class. Even if I have to continually open the door late for the same students, they will have to come in the right way.

I'm in no way saying the wall is and end all to people illegally entering the U.S., but I do believe we should not make it easy. They have to follow rules. Legislators and businessmen should follow the rules that apply to them as well and I long for the day that someone has the balls to enforce the laws towards everyone.

#696 Falcons Talon, Mar 26, 2019
  17. Falcons Talon

No doubt that the wall doesn't prevent people that get in but don't leave. In my eyes, the wall serves to limit/dissuade illegal border crossings. I hope the illegal overstays issue is addressed as well.

#697 Falcons Talon, Mar 26, 2019
    JuanValdez likes this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

A good leader won't be away from an emergency he/she has tasked their subordinates to work unless they have a damn good reason. Golfing isn't a damn good reason.

19. dmoneybangbang

I just view Trump’s position and implementation as more symbolic. Trump’s xenophobic rhetoric got him elected but has prevented him from doing much.

It seems illegal immigrations rises and wanes like most things.

20. dmoneybangbang

I just view Trump’s position and implementation as more symbolic. Trump’s xenophobic rhetoric got him elected but has prevented him from doing much.

It seems illegal immigrations rises and wanes like most things.