1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump picks Colo. appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish Obama had received his pick, but here we are. The court will remain 5-4 conservative. As of now, I expect the court to behave just as it had prior to the death of Scalia.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...rhp-top-table-high_gorsuch805p:homepage/story

Trump picks Colo. appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court
    President Trump selected Colorado federal appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch as his Supreme Court nominee on Tuesday, opting in the most important decision of his young presidency for a highly credentialed favorite of the conservative legal establishment to fill the opening created last year by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia.

Gorsuch prevailed over the other finalist, Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania, also a federal appeals court judge, and Trump announced the nomination at a televised prime-time event at the White House.

Trump broke tradition by entering the White House ceremony by himself, rather than alongside his nominee. He declared that after “the most transparent” judicial selection process in history, he had delivered on a campaign promise to “find the very best judge in America” for the court.

Gorsuch, 49, said he would strive to be independent and impartial, and that he would “follow the law” to its rightful outcome. A judge who personally agrees with the outcome of every case, Gorsuch said, is probably a “bad judge.”

Gorsuch and Hardiman, 51, emerged from a list of 21 as Trump’s most likely choices. A third person on the shortlist — U.S. Circuit Judge William H. Pryor Jr. of Alabama — saw his chances diminish as some Senate Republican leaders have said his confirmation would be difficult.
    ..... Read more at the Washington Post

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Now we wait for Ginsburg to die.

Dei likes this.
  3. TheresTheDagger

The only drama this pick will have is whether the GOP has to use the Nuclear option to override the inevitable Democrat fillibuster.

My prediction is the GOP will use it if necessary as this court pick is so crucial to court balance for the next 30 years. I'm not as certain Democrats will force their hands though. If Ginsburg ends up having to step down during Trumps term, they are gonna want to save their fight for the nomination of her replacement otherwise they will be rightly seen as the new party of obstructionism. But I guess we'll see.

Hakeemtheking and Dei like this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

That's a bit crude, Bobby.

5. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I was going to post some "triggered" response, but you are absolutely "right" just as my leftist friends and I were not sad to when Scalia kicked the bucket, even if Ruth was sad seeing how they were the best of friends.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair, but she's really made an ass out of herself the last few years and we know she won't agree to retirement without a Democrat in the White House so she's there till she's forced out or till she drops.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh for sure the justices of the SCOTUS have a very close relationship, they are in a very exclusive club and petty differences of opinion are far less important than that kind of bond.

8. Dei

Dei Member

Yeah. Gave me a laugh. I was gonna say something like that but he said it better.

9. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Their connection was particularly unique, from what I've read and heard. They were friends in spite of any petty differences, which I think we can all agree were a good deal more than "petty". Diametrically opposed would be a better description but I get your point.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I will gladly save this quote from both of you and expect not a word out of either when I utter the same about Clarence Thomas or, better yet, Donald Trump. I would never wish that on anyone, but completely objectively, Donald Trump dying could actually have a very positive effect on the country. Just not something you ever hope for.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Im thinking the Democrats will confirm him without much trouble. I dont know about much of his policies...but for some of the MSM sources to suggest that he will have support among democrats indicates an appreciation for Gorsuch. Wish him and his family the best for this great honor...

12. Dei

Dei Member

No problem. But be sure to take note there's a difference between hoping someone dies of natural causes and wishing someone getting murdered like most liberals are wanting to happen to Trump.

#12 Dei, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  13. TheresTheDagger

There is?

I wouldn't wish death on anyone other than maybe members of ISIS or serial killers. Two wrongs don't make a right.

14. Dei

Dei Member

If I were to wish she gets killed, that's malicious, since I'm effectively supporting murder. Natural causes on the other hand... death comes to all people.

But I changed my post. Yeah, I think 'wish' isn't the correct word, 'hope' is better.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Prefer "President Bannon"?

16. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I'd prefer Bannon and Miller were not even allowed in DC proper, let alone inside the White House.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't you already say it about Scalia?

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, no, I never said that about Scalia. In general, I don't have too much of a problem with the Supreme Court justices. I think that through the process, you wind up getting very qualified individuals who- yes- do have their biases, but I'd put much more of my faith in the judgment of a SCOTUS than a President. I'm a very firm believer in being qualified for the job- it's what I've spent my career advocating - which is why Trump's win irritates me in that respect.

I tell clients all the time that qualifications are extremely important and that you can't inflate them. I may be biased on this board, but in my day job, I'm very objective and to the point. I've told clients before point-blank that if you don't have the qualifications for something, you shouldn't apply. They don't always want to hear that, but you have to be truthful- being truthful is to the benefit of the client.

Politically, I had to listen to a client talk to me for 30 minutes about how happy he was that Trump won b/c he's in the construction industry in S. Florida and the projected removal of regulations will help his business immensely. Who am I to argue? He's a terrific client and I have to respect his opinion. I have others who are very liberal, including a high-ranking DoD guy, BTW, whose last day was the 20th. I try to avoid political discussions, but if they come up, I'm pretty much, "Yep. Uh huh. Sounds good. I can respect that."

No, seriously, I can't wish death on anyone. Not even harm. Maybe just discomfort.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Dude has degrees from Columbia, Harvard, and Oxford. He clerked for Kennedy. Partner at one of the most prestigious law firms in the country. Dude has resume.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

Really bobby that's so not cool to say even though it may be true.

#20 edwardc, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017