1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Crisis Finally Hits Stocks As Concerns Mount Over GOP Defections

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, May 17, 2017.

1. adoo

adoo Member

The stock market's decline today---DOW sinking > 200 points--- highlights the growing concerns about whether Trump loyalists on Capitol Hill will turn against the president in the face of a week of one crisis after another, Wall Street veteran Art Cashin told CNBC.

[​IMG]

Until today the stock market, which has soared since the election on hopes for a Trump-inspired boost to the economy, had been largely ignoring the White House turmoil.

Traders expected Democrats to blast Trump for this latest revelation, Cashin said. "But if he begins to suffer any sizable defections among the Republicans, that's a problem."

Cashin drew parallels to the Watergate scandal that led then-President Richard Nixon to resign in August 1974 as impeachment proceedings were underway.

"Back in the Watergate days, it was [then-Sen.] Howard Baker that stepped across the line and that's when Nixon knew he was in trouble," Cashin recalled. Any Trump loyalist abandoning the president in that way would "certainly remind everybody" about Nixon, Cashin said.

Sen. John McCain, who's never been a fan of Trump, also evoked Watergate. "I think we've seen this movie before," McCain said Tuesday. "I think it's reaching a point where it's of Watergate size and scale." On Monday, Sen. Bob Corker said the White House was "in a downward spiral" and needs to "figure out a way to come to grips with all that's happening." Cashin said McCain's comments were not a "great surprise, but if there are others that could be a problem."

There's certainly a concern in the market that Trump's policy agenda of tax cuts and deregulation could be derailed by these controversies, Cashin said. "[But] there is a perverse positive, not so much for the president but for the agenda, in that people are saying if Mr. Trump were to leave office Pence can work much better with Congress. So there might be some sense of reward there," Cashin said, referring to Vice President Mike Pence.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/17/art-...ks-as-concerns-mount-over-gop-defections.html

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I will wait and see what happens, same as before, I will believe it when I see it.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is this the Trump dump?

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's an overdue correction either way.

More than the scandals themselves, it just looks like real tax reform or infrastructure are much further away than many had wrongly assumed.

5. adoo

adoo Member

Trump has been pointing to the stock market rise as evidence of the soundness of his policies; but
    when the stock market tanks, which it has the last two trading days,

when the DOW dropped ~1,800 points,​

the dotard has been silent. The dotard cherry-picks his stock market news, just like the idiot Nunez cherry picks his notes on the FISA application on Carter PAge

on Fri, 2 Feb 2018,

on the heels of ~ 80 consecutive months of impressive job gains, coupled w the exodus of the former Fed Chair who had been able to keep interest rate low for the past several years, as well the yield on the 10-yr Treasury rising above 2.8 % for the first time in years, inflationary fears caused the DOW dropped > 660 point

festering political fears, release of the Nunez memo, and debt ceiling crisis, only exacerbated the stock market downward spiral.
    on Mon, 5 Feb 2018

Flash crash happened; the computerized algorithm kicked in, triggering massive selling across the board.
    at one point, the DOW was down ~800 points in 2 minutes. the DOW ended up dropping > 1,100 points, a 4+% drop.
    at one point, the DOW was down 1,600 points.
    After the market close, the dotard's WH issued a statement on his economic policies; lots of words put together that, taken as a whole,
    say nothing. Most noteworthy, it avoided any reference to the stock market

#5 adoo, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Stupid ****ing dotard.

7. adoo

adoo Member

the global sell-off has begun.

the Asian markets, for Tues, 6 Feb 2018, have been opened for ~~ an hour.

Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index was down 3.8 %down at 10.23am HK/SIN.
    Meanwhile, China's Shanghai composite was down 1.9 %.​

as of 10PM EST, the the DOW future is down > 1,000 points. It could be worse, if the European markets, which will open in 6 hours, follow suit

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Crash? If this goes on, it's Clinton and Dem fault.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Good stock market! Bc Trump
    Bad stock market! Not bc Trump

No Worries likes this.
  10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I'm going to save this thread just so I can come back in 2 weeks and laugh at OP.

Dark Rhino likes this.
  11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

if it recovers it's because of Obama's economy

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I obviously have no idea if or when this was coming. But over the last 6 weeks I have been pulling my money out slowly. Only buying back in a few time here and there. Well as of three days ago I was left with just one stock (MU) Micron Tech. Which I have lost about 8% I believe in the last 2 trading days. The company after close today upgraded their guidance with higher anticipated profits. Anyways after closing it is up 2% and I am going to see if I can get another 4-5% out of it tomorrow. After that I am out for a while, except for a day trade or two here and there.

Trump is a G'damn train wreck waiting to happen. It may not come this week. I have a feeling it will be this year though.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. adoo

adoo Member

the culprits are the leveraged ETNs (Electronic-Traded Indices) to sell market volatility,
    • VelocityShares Inverse Vix Short-Term ETN (XIV.P),
    • ProShares Short VIX Short-Term Futures ETF (SVXY.K) and
    • VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Medium-Term ETN (ZIV.O)
    Hedgies use these ETNs for "portfolio insurance", an euphemism for betting on low market volatility. As long as the overall market volatility is low, these ETNs make $ hand over fist. But when volatility picks up, because they're so heavily leveraged, these ETNs are obligated to sell large blocks of stocks in a matter of seconds, thus the "flash crash".

over the previous two trading days, overall market volatility, the VIX, aka the fear index, almost tripled, rising from 13 to 38. this led to the tanking of these inverse volatility ETNs, so much so that they have been halted from trading

#13 adoo, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Not that anyone cares. But it popped up by 7%. So I made my money back from the last few days of losses. Up 30% overall for this stock. You guys have fun, I am out for a while o_Oo_Oo_O

15. adoo

adoo Member

you go !

bulls make $, bears make $, hogs get slaughtered

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

dead cat bounce...

[​IMG]

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

every week the election losers deliver a "this is it!!" moment. guess what... do it every week and eventually you'll be right. but the clock is ticking, 35 months to go.

meanwhile no suitable candidate has emerged because instead of building a candidate(s) you all have been focused on removing trump. no joke, i think the liberals are suffering from ptsd. they are so hurt and angry over trumps victory that they are destroying relationships with anyone who they suspect voted trump, including family and friends, even if they didn't. again, if they think you did, they hate you. talk about thought police and facism sheesh... the funny part, trump should have been and is now extremely easy to defeat but at this time i wouldn't place a bet on it.

18. adoo

adoo Member

every day, the dotard in the WH, w the help of Fox News, plays the victim card.

the media did not report that i had the largest
    electoral vote win since Reagan and the inaugural crowd ever​
    i was bugged by Obama
    my NSA adviser had been treated unfairly
    my daughter has been treated unfairly by Macy
    my campaign staff member, who i had never met, had been under FBI surveillance via illegally obtained FISA warrant
    i been subject to a witch hunt, even tho, in less than 6 mos, there have already been 4 prosecutions and 2 guilty pleads
    etc.​

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Some names have emerged since. But, honestly it is too soon to be ramping up presidential candidates. The election isn't close enough left. If a frontrunner comes out now, Republicans will get an extra couple of years to take shots at him/her. That's what happened with Hillary Clinton. Republicans knew before Bill was out of office that she'd be the lead candidate in 2008 and (after Obama won the primary again) 2016, so they ran a decades-long campaign of vilifying her.

Besides that, unlike 2016, I expect the next DNC primary to really be a more open race. We'll have Booker, Harris, Warren, Sanders, Cuomo, Hickenlooper, etc. It'll probably be a very wide field like the RNC had a wide field in 2016, looking for who can catch fire. It seems only Trumpers are worried about the Democrats being able to field a candidate. One will come, and will get a big not-Trump premium, but not this soon. That doesn't make sense. Be patient.

JayGoogle likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

"some names have emerged" yea that's my point. that's all you got because no one has been working on a building a strong opponent. i remember you guys did that with obama when as a fresh senator folks were already working behind the scenes to build his profile and resume. lo and behold, "magically" he becomes a strong candidate and wins twice. what a coincidence?!?

btw..., open race sounds good on paper but didn't work last time. you pissed off the bernie folks and 1 in 10 (per some study i heard about on npr) voted for trump. doesn't sound like a lot but could have been the difference if you remove that 1 in 10 for trump and give that 1 in 10 for hilary. it counts double for them and then consider the bernie voters who just stayed home. but try an open race again!