1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump and swamp drainage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 27, 2016.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Gee, what harm could there be if a sitting USSC justice met with members of the two other branches of government (executive, congressional) to discuss important issues facing the country"???

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Honestly, I don't know. Do you think they shouldn't be allowed to talk to each other?

3. NewRoxFan

Much like I wouldn't think republicans wouldn't want an Obama cabinet member, a Democrat senator(s) and an Obama USSC appointee meeting to discuss political positioning. We're not discussing a chance encounter nor even a casual lunch among friends. I don't believe Supreme Court Justice are supposed to push partisan agendas and this meeting at least gives the impression that is what happened.

4. JuanValdez

That's a bit silly. If my CEO has a dinner with our competitor's CEO, should I assume they're price-fixing? If a high-level campaign official arranges a meeting with a proxy of an authoritarian dictator of a rival global power so that he can get dirt on his domestic political opponent, should I assume th-- wait, scratch that last one.

5. NewRoxFan

i guess assumptions of price-fixing between your CEO and other CEOs would be more valid if the CEOs in question engaged in price-fixing or other illegal/immoral behavior in the past.

6. JuanValdez

So, which of Sen Alexander, Sen Cornyn, Sandy Cornyn, Justice Gorsuch, and Secretary Chao (and maybe her husband, Sen. McConnell who might have been there) has engaged in illegal/immoral behavior in the past that we should be suspicious of them?

7. NewRoxFan

Well, Senator Alexander has led a mostly scandal-free life, but...

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/28/u...er-still-draws-scrutiny-for-making-small.html
    https://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/ryan-loskarn-investigated-101016

Senator Cornryn was tied to Jack Reed in the Abramoff scandal (Cornryn denied)...

http://www.tpj.org/2005/04/fort-worth-star-telegram-cornyn-denies.html

Transportation Secretary Chao:

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/09...ure-plan-chose-keep-stock-in-building-company
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/n...er=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&i10c.ua=1

But seriously, the concern is trump...

8. JuanValdez

I can understand that. But, it does take two to tango. And while political pressures may force Cornyn and Alexander to make bad decisions, I don't think they are actually corrupt. And, Gorsuch of course doesn't even face much political pressure. Trump may have brought him into this world, but he can't take him out.

Besides all of which, if this cabal wants to screw you over they can do it anyway. They can use burner phones and anonymous email accounts and pay each other in bitcoins. They don't have to do it at a dinner they tweet about.

9. NewRoxFan

Perhaps... or, just spitballin' here... the Supreme Court Justice might use a bit of common sense and say to himself "Self, this might not look too good, perhaps I might be better off having dinner with my wife and kids instead..."

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

DRAAAAIIIINAGE

[​IMG]

11. JuanValdez

No, I don't think so. I think a Supreme Court Justice should avoid the appearance of impropriety. But, it does not appear improper to share a meal with other high government officials. Should being elected or appointed to high office mean you have to stay in every night? That's a drag.

12. NewRoxFan

Did trump mean he would "drain the swamp" or "train the swamp"?

Draining the swamp? D.C. lobbying during Trump administration surges to highest level in 7 years
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...627001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

13. JuanValdez

That makes a lot of sense. There wasn't a lot of legislating going on the last 6 years with Congress refusing to pass anything Obama would sign. When corporations saw a unified government, they figured things would get moving again, so it's time to pull the advocacy lever.

14. NewRoxFan

Spiffy $24M fridges going into trump's Air Force One. Must be some swinging rockin' parties...

15. NewRoxFan

The trump swamp gets sickly sweet...

Corn Syrup Lobbyist Is Helping Set USDA Dietary Guidelines
    http://www.ibtimes.com/political-ca...t-helping-set-usda-dietary-guidelines-2649307

16. NewRoxFan

Its good to see that our tax dollars are being well spent... and trump business continues to profit off our government...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

I wonder if tax dollars are paying for this trump campaign payment to trump businesses (trump winery)?

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Might be okay as long as you can bring your own wine. LOL.

19. NewRoxFan

20. conquistador#11

the way the trumps work how do we even know there will be an "actual winner." of the prize. "Pickle" or another imaginary personality will win this big prize. It's in charlottesville, many do know that now. Best wines.